Auto UP!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Krafty,

When you say "post 08" do you mean 09 build onwards?

The reason I ask is that I have a mid 08 build - when I bought it I thought that the auto up feature wasn't working, but when I read the manual there was the "reset" procedure which you have described. All good after that.

Hi Krafty,

When you say "post 08" do you mean 09 build onwards?

The reason I ask is that I have a mid 08 build - when I bought it I thought that the auto up feature wasn't working, but when I read the manual there was the "reset" procedure which you have described. All good after that.

I don't know exactly when the law came in that auto ups should be disable to protect us but there has been guys on here who have mentioned their 07's have it and some with 08's however I do know people with other cars that have 08 plates that don't have it. But I do believe that due to a judges ruling that no aussie car built atleast this year should have that feature after a kid got strangled by an auto up window.

I can't remember where it was published or even what state it happened in but there was a coroner's report and an inquest into a toddlers death because the kid had managed to operate the auto up on the drivers door while his head was outside the window and the parents/responsible adult/guardian wasn't able to stop the window in time.

I don't know for sure there was a ruling passed down or if maybe it was just the suggestion that all manufactures could do the right thing but however it came down it was suppose to make a difference. I'm not up with the legal stuff but maybe it was only a suggestion to the manufacturers given that it appears there is a work around which resets the system, I'd doubt they could let through a work around if it was a rule.

The US do have a ruling that says all windows with the ability to go up automatically have the same feature roller doors have in that they stop and reverse when they come under resistance but no US manufacturer was able to do it immediately so they turned the feature off until they could. I believe it's possible in the US now but obviously hasn't made it to Australia yet since we are still importing cars without the ability to go up automatically.

I can't recall reading anything similar in the Navara owners manual, but my Merc has an "anti trap" feature. If the windows are closed and they meet resistance in the process, they will stop and reopen. That works whether you are using the switch inside the car, or the convenience close feature (using the key) from outside the car. Nice little safety feature - but then that (safety) was the reason I bought that car for the Mrs and kid anyway...

doesn't work on mine. sob sob.
Only extra the Thai build seems to get is the filler cap open button on the dash.

My auto windows work without activating them, and my manual has this to say:

WARNING
There is a small distance just before the closed position which cannot be detected. Make sure that all passengers have their hands, etc. inside the vehicle before closing the windows.

If the control unit detects something caught in the driver's window as it closes, the window will immediately be lowered.

The auto-reverse function can be activated when the driver's window is closed by automatic operation when the ignition key is in the ON position.

CAUTION

Depending on the environment or driving conditions, the auto-reverse function may be activated if an impact or load similar to something being caught in the window occurs.

It would appear that the later models have the auto feature. Mine's a July manufacture - maybe they figured it out mid year?

I haven't actually tested it but from what I've read the windows continue to shut after the key has been removed (providing the key was in before of course).

I'm not about to test the resistance of my windows unless someone else volunteers their neck but in America the luxury car market already had such a feature so it's probably not suprising some cars are already being imported here with the option preset. The other thing is maybe there are some knowledgeable dealers doing the fix in pre delivery, god knows pre delivery costs enough these days they should do something other than wash the thing.

Thanks for the tip. I reset mine to auto up yesterday.

Glad someone was able to use it, I thought there might have been a larger number of people effected but it appears there was only a few of us who got the "special" editions

Glad someone was able to use it, I thought there might have been a larger number of people effected but it appears there was only a few of us who got the "special" editions

You had to a be special person to get the special edition :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back