How do i remove the oil filter holder?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
ok guys. doing a 75k service myself. how do i remove the oil filter cover. i tried clockwise and anti. it just wouldnt budge. and i snapped a rachet doing so. any help?
i got a zd30ddt

Last edited:
Wait till the engine cools down and use a breaker bar to undo it anti clockwise.

Sounds like someone has overdone it a little when putting it on last.

From memory its just a 1/2 inch ratchet that fits in it.

lol should have bought a breaker bar first, but didnt know how stuck it was.
yeah i turned it anti clockwise, thats when i snapped the gear in the ratchet. its definitly over tightened.. how would i loosen that?

cheers

Last edited:
I had the same happen to me. (cheap rachet though).

Just use a breaker bar when the engine is cold. You just need leverage and it will come off. My breaker bar has a 1/2 inch lug on it minus the ratchet part.

long bar, pull towords you from the front.
must have been a crap ratchet. ratchets are usually a bit short. use a long bar. if its really stuck you may have to tap it off.
the housing is only alloy so it should break well before the bar ever does.

jap55s,
when u use breaker bar, stand at front of vehicle and pull towards you. when you refit, only tension to the correct setting, which is marked on the filter casing. i have a ratchet tension wrench which fits ideally, plenty of leverage.
cheers,
jamie
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
What Jamie said..... I use my torsion wrench. Never gets over-tightened that way. Cool the engine and apply a bit of inox if its still a problem. Let the inox soak for 15 mins.

yer what everyone else said! first time i did it i looked like a fool out front standing on the bullbar pulling and pulling!!! someone over tightened mine too... its deff standard thread!!
Breakerbar will help!

Latest posts

Back