Driving, Driving, Driving then WHoosh!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOLID D22

Reaction score
So on the weekend im headind up Ballarat hwy towards my farm to spend the weekend there, its about 11pm and its dark and very cool outside almost cold, im cruising along the freeway at 110km/h and then i come up to pentland hills, this is a stretch of highway which is roughly 21km uphill, and iv also switched off the gas on this trip just wanted to see the power difference on straight diesel, anyway im about 3km into this hill and iv had to gear down to 4th beforehand to keep it at 110km/h revvin at 3 1/2g sounds sweet and strong, overtake a semi which is doing about 20km/h (thats how bad the hill is) and then WHOOOSH, SSSHHHHHHHHH, just a loud constant boost sounding turbo whistle, the car had not lost power and at first thought i though a hose had come off or split. I pulled over right away, popped the bonnet checked it out but nothing was wrong, it was dark so i nursed it up to my farm and checked it out in the morning.

Morning came checked it all out properly and cant find anything wrong, it sounds as if i got a massive blow off valve fitted, sounds alright but very loud, you hear it spool up through the gears and also that whistle sound it makes when you let go of the throttle, i went past my mechanics but he cant find anything and turbo was too hot to take off and check out, so until then worst case scenario is i may have turbo that is on its way out, and im getting a price to have one rebuilt including it being hi flowed and making it ball bearing.

Also for the record i dont know how you guys do it running just straight diesel, i had to gear down heaps of times to 4th where i never did before and the fuel usage is unbelievable 350km half tank and usually with the gas i get 300km on the first quarter.

Anyway il keep yous posted on what is happening.

Turbo seals?
And running larger tyres wont help in the power stakes either for up hill burning oil.

Iv had the tyres on the car since it was basically new, iv towed a tandem up that hill with a car on the trailer and held it at red line all the way up the hill so i could be at roughly 80-100km/h, so burning oil wouldnt be an issue unless its taken 7 years to do so.

mine got really loud when one of the hoses cracked, right where the clamp is so it took me ages to find it.
Hopefully its nothin to serious for ya.

Yeah im thinking it might be a slight crack or tiny hole i cant see somewhere untill i pull it apart, im hoping its that because the car still drives fine, just a loud spooling sound.

when i once forgot to put my intake on properly, as i was doing a bit of intake comparisons of filters, i drove it out of the drive way and as i began to accelerate it was like a super loud suction/turbo spooling noise. i quickly pulled over and put it back on properly and then it was back to its quiet self.

i'd check it out ASAP as you dont want to be sucking anything into the engine.

solid d22
Take a look at the short bit of hose that goes across the rocker cover, the clamps that go on it rubbed through and caused a noise like how you are decribing. Otherwise check the one on the side of the motor coming from the turbo for the same. Hope this is of some help...

Dragging a slightly older thread.

I would look at exactly what slidedriver suggests. My D22 has done about 30,000KM and the coupling between the manifold and crossover pipe split underneath the hose clamp on mine about two weeks ago. First sign was exactly as you described, no obvious drop off in performance but obvious sounds as of a boost leak.

Thankfully I have a turbo track car and had a bit of spare silicon cooler coupling pipe handy. The stuff Nissan used is rubbish, feels like radiator hose.

The top piece of hose is the silicone turbo hose, that was changed not too long ago, im thinking its the one directly that comes from the turbo, thats still the factory rubber crap, the car is going in for a service soon so il check it out then.

The giveaway was a little bit of oil wetting the area down. Seems the Nav ZD30 suffers from carrying a bit of oil out of the rocker cover breather like the Patrol one does, just they have no airflow meter to foul with it.

If you have a boost leak I would expect some sign of oil nearby.

Latest posts

Back