Will lift kit improve the handling?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline_man

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a lift kit for my D40 st-x and was wondering if it will make the handling better or worse? Should I just get the spacers or should I invest and get the complete kit with the shockers, leaf springs and torsion bars?

a fat bastard running the 100mtr hurdles in top o' range nike running spikes , is STILL a fat bastard running the 100mtr hurdles.

Spring and damper improvements have the capability of improving the handling. Most companies sell those improved spring rates etc as part of raised suspension kits.

But improved handling is hard to quantify - depends exactly what characteristics you are after.

My D40 has Old Man Emu suspension. Compared to the standard suspension I have noticed less body roll on cornering, however that is tempered by a greater propensity for lift off oversteer.

There are compromises with everything.

Last edited:
If your not carrying a load, and not into serious offroading, then I would look at just doing the shocks. A decent set will make make a huge difference to the handling, you can then look at getting springs latter.

Do it once and do it properly. Spacers are cheap but it will only lift your truck up the amount of spacer. but a lift kit is about 1500 + fitting unless you do it yourself a few bolts and a few hours of swearing ya titts off with a particular bolt.........
I put a 2 inch lift kit in my truck which lifted it 100mm allround cos the origional springs sagged that much (the back leafs were inverted) and yet the truck was only a week old with no payload on the back.
The missus Hyundai had more ground clearance :S

Just if anyone interested I got the dobinson kit HD springs and shocks and found less body roll but same ride comfort even with nothing on the tray.
But did have problems getting rid of the positive camber as there is not enough adjustment in the lower arms. still +.3 camber both sides. Good excuse for the 4 inch lift kit.......

Yesterday i had my 3 year old clapped out bump stop bashing springs and shocks replaced with an iron man kit with greasable shackles.
Made a huge difference to the ride and handling,feels tight around corners and the arse end doesn't feel like it's bouncing after going over bumps and dips.
Raised the front by about 40mm and the back by about 65mm.
I haven't tested it off road yet,but so far i'm happy.

what u pay is what u get. personally i think spacers r cheap n nasty...our navara's deserve the best...dont u? ;-p

Back