Oricom CB Radio

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
Anyone heard of these Oricom CBs.
Auto Barn have them for $199 at the moment.
Im looking for a CB that I will only use ocassionally (convoy Tag A Long situation) and dont want to pay $300 - $500+ for one.

Thanks

Jeff.:dong:

If you're in a convoy, even a hand-held unit will suffice. That's all I'm using, and I don't even use an external antenna. Picked up a 3-Watt unit @ Jaycar, added the 12V power adapter and I'm happy.

Thanks Tony.
I already have 2 handhelds but the Tag A Long mob requires us to have an inbuilt radio so looking for the cheapest alternative.
Just had a look at the Oricom but alas they are too big for the D40 so will probably go for the GME TX 3100 at $289 + fitting and antenna,
at a local CB type radio shop.

Jeff:no:

Thanks Tony.
I already have 2 handhelds but the Tag A Long mob requires us to have an inbuilt radio so looking for the cheapest alternative.
Just had a look at the Oricom but alas they are too big for the D40 so will probably go for the GME TX 3100 at $289 + fitting and antenna,
at a local CB type radio shop.

Jeff:no:

I bought a Uniden with the fully remote mic for the same money off ebay, Mounted it under the seat, much more tidy and user friendly IMO.

CB Radio

Have looked at E Bay and can get a GME TX3220 with 6db antenna for $295 from Prestige Communications but am concerned at installing the unit especially the antenna.
The radio itself shouldn't be a problem just positive to battery with a inline fuse and negative to an earth but the antenna has me worried.
Will think about it.

Thanks

Jeff.:idea:

rule of thumb...

unidens are great, but tend to have the speaker blow down the track

gme are great, but tend to have the LCD screen die down the track

both however have good customer service

i myself am a uniden fan with 2 car UHF's and 3 handheld CB's (now only 1)

jeff,
i have the oricom in my d22, fits just fine, i moved cd player to top din, and with a little squeeze, the oricom fits easily and looks real tidy.
they seem to get good range, but that will vary with antenna.

autobarn also had a package for $349 inc antenna mite b worth ooking at.

cheers,
jamie
________
The Vision Condo

Last edited:
Jamie,
Thanks for the info but I ended up buying a GME tx3100 - the teenie weeni one that fits easily under dash and above the bottom tray.

Jeff.

I have an oricom radio - the mini din one. My mate works for the company as a sales rep. The major issue that I found was that the DIN converter (mini Din to full din) was the wrong size. Eventually, Swapped the AM/FM radio around with the console (hole above it), cut the back off that plastic console bit and then mounted the radio inside it. It fitted quite well... almost looks like it should be there.
FYI - the radio guy at Olbis in QLD took one out for a test and said that it was as good as the rest on the market....
Oricom are a new player n the market for this stuff, hence the competitive pricing. There appears to be nothing wrong with them technically. They have all the features the others have including the extra channels. They have the digital squelch thingy and seems to be pretty good from my experience so far. Once of the guys I go 4 wheeling with spent 40 alone on a uniden CB (similar specs to mine) and the oricom performs easily as well...

I just put one into the wifes Terracan.

It works fine and has more features than my Uniden UH090. (except AM).

I should have put it into my STR :big_smile:

With a ground independent antenna kit it was $270.00.

Will be good value if it lasts.

Latest posts

Back