What material can I use to make a baffle for my catch can?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewD

Reaction score
I have a catch can but it does not have a baffle inside of it to help improve trapping the vapourised oil/ air mix. I read an article where a man made his own catch can for his 3.0L patrol and used a pod filter out of a safari snorkel.

Can anyone see any issue with this or can someone suggest another easily obtainable material I could use?

Use stainless steel brillo pads for washing pots and pans etc, works really well in mufflers too.

plenty of info on patrol forum and a good thrashing resently on outerlimits.

basically baffles don't do jack. you really need a filter of some sort.
pot scrubbers works ok if its big enough and the gas can't take a shortcut from inlet to outlet.

i used a breather filter inside mine. others have used a oil filter, compressed air filter, foam filter etc. as long as it can filter well but not block up with oil.
i like breather filter because it fits inside easly, is fully sealed and only needs a hose clip to seal it to a tube which you can fit through the top.

but by the time you bought can, filter, fittings etc your not far off the price off a provent which has better filter and release valves in case it gets blocked.

not sure it really needs it...is the little that gets through really going to casue a problem. I mean without any kind of filter mine catches quite a deal of oil.

yes it needs it.
granted the ZD30 navara doesn't have the MAF sensor that the patrol ZD30 has but if you look at how much oil goes through the breather.....
woznme..... after its warmed up pull the outlet hose off your catch can and you will see all the oil mist pour out even at idle.

i catch about 300ml every 5000km or so (and my filter is no where near 100%)

that oil going through the breather joins up with the fine dust that gets through the air filter, add in soot from EGR.....you get that black sludge in the intake pipes.

Latest posts

Back