towing with a Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumbly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and hoping some one on here can help me make a decision on buying a navara.
I currently have a 4.2td Patrol but am looking for a new car for a novated lease. After a grueling elimination I've rounded it down to 1 of the dual cab utes. Being a happy Nissan owner I would like a Navara but here is my dilemma.....
I have a large caravan that can weigh up to 3 ton. I know the Navara can tow 3 ton and take a ball weight of 300kg but the engine seems a little small for the task (2.5 crd)

So, is any one out there towing large weights with this vehicle and how do they find it?

I have done a search of the forum and the only thing that comes up is towing in 5th gear - I have my own theories on that. What I would like to know is if you are flogging the engine all the time, any eng/trans/diff failures from large tow weights or chassis / tow pack cracking due to high end tow ball loads?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

regards, Keith

Hi Keith, welcome to the forums.

I don't have a lot of towing experience with my Nav except for a Camper Trailer which weighs a lot less than what you are planning.

Couple of questions that may help others answer you. Are you looking at the D22 or D40? Are you happy to do mods to the truck straight up to improve performance? (Exhaust/chip/diesel gas etc.)

Hi Jason, thanks for the welcome!

Looking at the ST D40. I'm not sure how chipping it would affect the warranty, but I am willing to modify where necessary. I don't like diesel gas on the new motors (personel choice) as I've seen and heard some bad reports of piston and ring damage.
As I'm new to these vehicles I find it hard to figure out the difference between D40 & D 22, I take it that the D40 has slightly more power?
The salesman has explained the difference between the ST & STR.

The D40 has a fair bit more power, I have the 2.5 D22 and I've been in a D40 and it's noticable. I think the D22 only has 2800kg towing capacity as well?

I understand your reluctance to do chip and d-gas, exhaust makes a big difference.

I wouldn't be keen on towing a 3 tonne van any great distance with a Nav, I'd go a V8 Sahara. But if you really need a dual cab ute, I guess the Nav is up there with the best, on paper anyway!.

Thanks 08kingcab, but I can't afford (and refuse to pay for) a 200 series and the new 76 series won't fit in my shed or carport and with the crime rate in our area I won't leave it out the front!
The van won't actually be 3 ton. Its a jayco base sation which CAN go up to 3 ton with its 700kg pay load (tare weight is 2200). I've worked out my average weight at 2500 - 2600kg. Still alot I know,but the biggest deal breaker on the other vehicles I've looked at is they will not take 300kg ball weight and the Navara will.
If I get enough info from this post that really shows the Navara as being a bad choice I will, of course, change my plans. Is there any thing specific as to why you wouldn't take 3 ton? or is it just they are quite a small vehicle / small engine?
Thanks for your reply, Keith

We are travelling approx 6-7000kms to WA with a 24ft van. Our navara will tow a box trailer and we bought a very tidy 95 GQ for 13k to tow the van, Mind you even the grunt of the GQ it will still be a slow trip. Good luck.

I've got an 1800kg van, and will (one day) step up to a 3,000kg 25ft (7.5m) fifth wheeler.

1) Go the auto, forget the manual. The D40's turbo lags like mad at first, so the inclination is to give it a rev and ride the clutch a little. Big no-no - the D40's clutch tears itself to bits like that. You can't just pull out on idle like you can on the D22 either. If you have the auto, you won't have that problem (yes, I have an auto for that reason).

2) Chipping the car will void the warranty on the engine (which is about $16,000) but the chip takes just a couple of minutes to remove, apparently. I haven't chipped mine, but I've no complaints about the power yet.

3) Don't use the Nissan hitch. It might be rated for 3 tonnes, but will bend if you use a load leveller. Go the Hayman Reese hitch, it has both horizontal and vertical mount points and thus takes the torsional stress in its stride.

4) Diesel gas won't harm your motor if used in moderation. Trucks have been using it for years. The only people that have problems like burned pistons etc are those that crank it up too far. Just like nitrous oxide, you can't run at high mixtures for long. The pistons are cooled by an oil sprayer that, as the piston travels down, squirts the underside of the crown, but it can only do so much. There are a few members here that are quite happily using gas. It's not something I'd discount if you needed more power.

5) Exhaust might be advantageous, but be wary. The DPF has pressure sensors on either Engine Control Unit might think it's blocked up if there's not enough backpressure, which can result in a lot of regen cycles (extra fuel used) or the ECU forcing the engine into "limp" mode, limiting the rpm to 2,000 and the vehicle speed to 80km/h. Nasty, and only on the D40 auto. Your new exhaust needs to cater for this. Removal of the DPF is against the law.

6) A note on the Diesel Particulate Filter - heavy hauling, hard driving, slow driving - all of these cause soot to build up inside the DPF. The ECU triggers a regen cycle when the car is driven at 80km/h or more (or engine rpm > 1600), the engine load is light (ie cruising) and the engine temperature is not overly high. The regen cycle is simply a squirt of fuel into the combustion chamber while the exhaust valves are open, sending the unburnt fuel down to the DPF. Here, it ignites and burns quite hot, consuming the soot and clearing the filter.

I hope that helps! Welcome to the forum!

if you can, id stick with the patrol. you cant go past the 4.2 motor.
but if you have to, as the others have said, chip and exhaust, id get pyro guage and boost guage aswell.

The D40 has good power but I don't reckon I would want to tow a 3 tonne van around in any of the 'small' Turbo diesel engines for too long. I just dont think long term they will handle it like the 4.2's etc will. Have you looked at a new 3L common rail patrol?

Thanks 08kingcab, but I can't afford (and refuse to pay for) a 200 series and the new 76 series won't fit in my shed or carport and with the crime rate in our area I won't leave it out the front!
The van won't actually be 3 ton. Its a jayco base sation which CAN go up to 3 ton with its 700kg pay load (tare weight is 2200). I've worked out my average weight at 2500 - 2600kg. Still alot I know,but the biggest deal breaker on the other vehicles I've looked at is they will not take 300kg ball weight and the Navara will.
If I get enough info from this post that really shows the Navara as being a bad choice I will, of course, change my plans. Is there any thing specific as to why you wouldn't take 3 ton? or is it just they are quite a small vehicle / small engine?
Thanks for your reply, Keith

The 300kg on the ball ratiing is with an empty tray, and I'm guessing the reason your going down the dual cab ute is for the extra carrying capacity, so you will have to budget in new springs/shocks, or air bags.
These dual cab utes are really only sold as a soft 4wd, I complained about the weak LSD to Nissan, and was told. (quote) "If you wanted a proper LSD for 4wding you should have bought a patrol" In hindsight I probably should have, but now I've bought a jeep for 4wding.
I think you could spend your $40000 more wisely on a good secondhand patrol or 100 series cruiser that in the long run would be a more relaxing drive and overall a better tow vehicle.

just wait til 2011, theres a new patrol coming out haha\

but from my experience towing a camper trailer with my lil 2.5L CRD it'll do it, but i really dont think it will like towing 3t at all...

i wouldnt touch the 3.0l patrol.....

Unless you like playing with grenades

The 300kg on the ball ratiing is with an empty tray, and I'm guessing the reason your going down the dual cab ute is for the extra carrying capacity, so you will have to budget in new springs/shocks, or air bags.
These dual cab utes are really only sold as a soft 4wd, I complained about the weak LSD to Nissan, and was told. (quote) "If you wanted a proper LSD for 4wding you should have bought a patrol" In hindsight I probably should have, but now I've bought a jeep for 4wding.
I think you could spend your $40000 more wisely on a good secondhand patrol or 100 series cruiser that in the long run would be a more relaxing drive and overall a better tow vehicle.

I always found my rear lsd to work really well. But yeah the dualcab utes these days being aimed at familys are sold as just above soft roaders.

I always found my rear lsd to work really well. But yeah the dualcab utes these days being aimed at familys are sold as just above soft roaders.

I was referring to the D40's diff, which is different to the D22, not sure why they don't just use the patrol diff right through the range, you would think it would be cheaper to manfacture one diff for 3 different models.

The D40 has good power but I don't reckon I would want to tow a 3 tonne van around in any of the 'small' Turbo diesel engines for too long.

Once while we were camping, we met a couple who were in a Mercedes motor home, it was a 26 footer, had the works inside. Underneath, a 2.8 litre turbo diesel. On the clock, somewhere over 300,000km. Serviced every 10,000km and ran like a charm, total mass was about 9 tonnes. I couldn't believe it, but there it was in front of me.

I think the Navara could easily do it. Depends if you want to use the Pacific Highway, or the Pacific Dragway.

Towing with the Navara

We have a 2007 D 40 Turbo Diesel Auto and this year towed our 2.5 tonne full size 21ft caravan 18,500ks around the block.
Van weighs 2000kgs + van load of approx 500kgs.
Plus we carried, only when necessary, up to 6 gerrycans of fuel and 2 of water in the ute.
We towed in 4th gear all the time ( at around 2500rpms) and used the cruise control extensively.
Towed at 85-90kph most of the time.
Consumption was 18.5 Litres per 100ks.
Power wise - not a problem.
The Navara seemed to handle the load without stress and rarely needed to downshift to 3rd gear on hills.
Our Navara has no engine modifications just a suspension upgrade so as to handle future outback ventures.

Hope this helps.

Jeff.:victory:

We have a 2007 D 40 Turbo Diesel Auto and this year towed our 2.5 tonne full size 21ft caravan 18,500ks around the block.
Van weighs 2000kgs + van load of approx 500kgs.
Plus we carried, only when necessary, up to 6 gerrycans of fuel and 2 of water in the ute.
We towed in 4th gear all the time ( at around 2500rpms) and used the cruise control extensively.
Towed at 85-90kph most of the time.
Consumption was 18.5 Litres per 100ks.
Power wise - not a problem.
The Navara seemed to handle the load without stress and rarely needed to downshift to 3rd gear on hills.
Our Navara has no engine modifications just a suspension upgrade so as to handle future outback ventures.

Hope this helps.

Jeff.:victory:

Thanks Jeff, that was the info I was after.
I appreciate everyones comments, but a 2cnd hand vehicle isn't viable for the novated lease otherwise I would keep the Patrol! As for the 3lt Patrols- I won't go near them, too many stories of them going bang and have 2 mates out of pocket because of them.
I will keep the chip/exhaust/gas advice in the back of my mind for later if required. we only tow at around 90kph and our 4wd work is mostly beach and bush tracks, we don't do too much extreme stuff any more.

Thanks again and every one have a good xmas/new years.

Cheers, Keith

Owning a "Grenade" powered D22, I have had over 3 tonne behind mine. Towed it for about 180km's with no issues, overtook a low Hp Mack on Mooney Mooney.

I was doing 60km/h up the hill and the Mack was doing about 55km/h.

On the hills they will slow down but on the flats it sat on the speed limit fine.

On the topic of ZD30 powered GU Patrol's I was talking to a Telstra rigger the other day and his Telstra work vehicle a CRD GU had abit over 200,000km's on the clock.

The CRD ZD30 share minimal parts with the DI ZD30. Have not heard of one grenading yet.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,
Yeah, not all of them go bang but too many for my liking. I hadn't heard of the z30 navara's having problems but then again I really havn't had much to do with them.
Its good to hear that some people are towing large loads with no problems, it makes me feel a little more confident in our choice.

Cheers, Keith

Latest posts

Back