09 D22 STR rear diff cactus after 9500 kms

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
09 D22 str 9500 kms on it.
Went out yesterday to Bunyip and surrounding areas and in terms of 4wd'ing was very sedate sticking mostly to the main roads with the toughest stuff being Gentle Annie track which was just first gear low climb all the way up it. Had a great day and headed for home. Vehicle dirty and in one piece.
Near to home when I made a right hand turn there was a grating, clunking sound from the rear. Couldn't see anything obvious (and still cant) Nursed the last little bit home and as I rounded each corner into my estate it was there and it feels like the rear is "stepping". Thats the best I can descibe the feeling through the car with some horrible grinding noises. The best I can think that it may be is that the LSD is locked and the stepping sensation and the noise is the LSD freeing and grabbing as the two wheels fight it it out for road speed around the corners. The noise and sensation is greater at low speed - 5 kmh
Looking underneath there are no marks on the diff from any sort of impact, there is no oil and externally everything appears correct. Throughout yesterday and on prior daytrips since we have acquired the vehicle there has never been any need for excessive or hard wheel spinning that would place the diff under extreme pressure.
Off to the dealership to wave my warranty around first thing in the morning. Curious if anyone else has come across this, heard about it or has any clues for the time being. Being a few days out from xmas I am doubtful that this will be resolved by the end of the week but fingers are crossed.
Adrian

Tell Nissan to check it, the LSD in mine was really really tight when I got mine.

Dave.

Sounds like you've busted something, jack it up and spinning over the rear wheels should give you an indication of whats going on.

I would wash it really well before you get to the dealer!!, and I hate to say I doubt you'll be getting that fixed until after the new year, the dealers are booked solid just doing services. Maybe a good time to think about a diff locker?

Sounds like you've busted something, jack it up and spinning over the rear wheels should give you an indication of whats going on. I would wash it really well before you get to the dealer!!, and I hate to say I doubt you'll be getting that fixed until after the new year, the dealers are booked solid just doing services. Maybe a good time to think about a diff locker?

Have Jacked it up and cannot rotate either wheel - only one wheel lifted at a time.

Bugger the locker - it seems I already have one!

Additive?

Guys I'm just curious to know if Nissan have a recommended additive for their limited slip diffs?

My '06 D22 single cab is quite chattery on tight turns and I'm wondering if an addive might help it a little. It's know it's a long way from a D22, but I used to have a Chev Corvette for many years and the LSD in those can be God-awful at low speed turns without the proper AC Delco additive in the back end.

Any thoughts?

Russ

Just use a LSD oil and you will be fine.

Adrian, sounds like something is wrong with it. Let Nissan fix it, its a new car if you touch they will probably put the blame back on you.

Dave.

Guys I'm just curious to know if Nissan have a recommended additive for their limited slip diffs?

My '06 D22 single cab is quite chattery on tight turns and I'm wondering if an addive might help it a little. It's know it's a long way from a D22, but I used to have a Chev Corvette for many years and the LSD in those can be God-awful at low speed turns without the proper AC Delco additive in the back end.

Any thoughts?

Russ

Yup Nissan do, works very well, they used to use it on the older Patrol Diff's. Its Pretty expensive though.

It might pay to find out if they have a specific type of oil grade, im my charger i have a kazz lsd and it will not work to its potential unless i use the kazz oil with it, which is over $100 for a bit over a litre.

Ok so here is the low down on the Ho down.
Went to Nissan Melton this morning at opening time unannounced and stated that I had a 3 month old vehicle with a crook rear diff. They immediately had a mechanic take the keys and reverse it 3 ft to here what I was complaining about. Response was "That doesn't sound good". Within an hour with the first hoist clear they had it up and diagnosed that there was water in the diff. I was told that this is not a warranty issue due to something about "submersion and ingress". I could cop that but I know that I have not had this vehicle in water or mud that is deeper than the axles and that I know the rear breather is at least 500mm off the deck. Service manager shrugged and said "Well there is water in there". Much smoking of cigarettes, muttering to self and contemplation of everywhere we had been in the last few weeks and there was no way I could pinpoint any particular time that the diff had been fully submerged along with the breather that would cause this. Besides facts are facts and there was water in the oil - so be it. Inspection of the internals shows that everything is still good and new oil has it working as it should.
With a little bit over an hour it is delivered back to me with the service manager, Daryl, stating this was on the house and Merry Christmas!
Could not have been happier! I was shitting myself as to how much this might cost if it wasn't a warranty job. So with all sincerity Thank you to Melton Nissan and the service dept!
Not often you can drive away from a dealership smiling and happy with the service you have recieved.
I returned to the dealership within 15 mins though

To drop in a slab for the workshop!
Very happy that they could fit me in and resolve the issue without fuss. Have booked it in for it 10k service next week there.

So anyway.......
First thing I did when I got home was to set about extending the rear diff breather and thats when I found the reason why I had ingested water. The nipple that screws into the axle housing and that the breather attaches to was bent and torn almost all the way through. Phone call back to Nissan Melton to let them know they had missed the main reason why I had water in the diff and could I get another nipple to replaced the damaged one? Being an obscure part it is one that would not often be kept in stock and so they started a ring around and were apologetic that it had been missed. Whilst waiting for the call back I went to Bursons and found a 3/16 barbed 1/8 BSP brass nipple that was better than original - definitely stronger!

So the Lesson.
The Breather nipple that screws into the diff is a weak point and when I get a photo up you will see how weak the material is. I can only think that the damage it received was from either a projectile or a small branch striking it or the breather tube causing it to tear. Replace them - front and rear - with a more solid brass nipple readily available as an air fitting - 3/16 - 1/8 BSP barb $5.80
And check them regularly and thoroughly.

Even though they missed the main reason for the fault I still give a big thank you to Melton Nissan for getting me into the workshop and sorting it straight away.

So my world is happy again....

That was lucky, I was sure you had busted something.

The water dispersed the oil between the clutch packs causing the noise and chattering. To have heard it there is no doubt it sounded like something was broken. A clean and new oil sees it like new again.:victory:

Good news, nice to hear good feedback on a dealer experience as well. They're not all bad and the good ones should get recognition.

Here is the nipple that screws into the axle housing. It has been hit or the breather tube itself has been hit and folded it back tearing the front edge. More than likely a stick the week before. This rendered the breather useless and allowed water to enter. You can see where it was hanging on by the clean section of the break - it came away completely when I went to remove the hose clamp to replace the breather with a longer one.
I am unlucky that this happened so early on in the ownership of the vehicle when without a doubt very few people would ever suffer this problem. Happy though that it has been rectified and replaced with a stronger nipple as the originals are very weak as can be seen by the wall thickness of nipple tubing.

Attachments

• Bunyip with Glenn 008 Small Web view.jpg
    Bunyip with Glenn 008 Small Web view.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 92
Hmm, so yours (2009) came standard with that on the rear diff and flex hose to where?

Mine (2008 and the earlier ones I believe) came with a small non-return valve, I actually fitted one of those and ran the flex line to the gearbox line.

Rear runs directly up to the underside of the tub.

Non return valve? It needs to breathe in both directions or seal failure would result wouldn't it?

Yeah that's what I thought but when I took it off to fit the extended breather I felt the air suck into the diff, only slightly but it was there.

I will need to check mine more regularly, and probably upgrade like you've suggested.

Back