Shrinking fuel tank!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knighty

Reaction score
Yep, it sounds daft - but read on. I think a Long Range Tank is in order - but if anyone else has experience with the following I'd love to hear about it.

2007 D40 Diesel. 75 ltr tank. Since putting Cooper STs on it a year ago, it has consistently travelled 600km before red light comes on, then 80km before running out.

Last five fill ups the following has happened...

Cannot fill tank beyond 7/8 according to the guage. Consistent with that, I only get around 550km before the light comes on (50kms less than usual). Everything else is the same (load, speeds, conditions etc). No obvious damage to tank (and no known incidents that would have caused a dent anyway). The tank litterally takes 5-8 litres less than it did.

Nissan playing dumb. Anyone got any clues.

Cheers
Knighty

If you cant put as much in AND the gauge is showing that then it means you must have lost volume somehow.

Sand/something in tank? Kids playing etc? Dents/Tank moved positions somehow?

as far as i can see no one mentioned the actual amount of fuel going in. hes only judging by the gauge not by actual litres going in.

I assumed there was physically less fuel going in when he said "The tank litterally takes 5-8 litres less than it did."

i'm thinking he assumes it is as hes going by the gauge. could also be judging by pump click off.

for a tank to shrink by 5-8 litres it would have a huge dent in it.

pretty common for nissans to need thr fuel sender to need replacing. we have currently 3 x-trails and a murano. They have all had the sender unit replaced under warranty. When the car is filled guage only shows 3/4 tank.

Hi all, Knighty again. Thanks for all the comments.

To answer a few (who may have not understood my original post)...

Fuel guage does read 7/8 when full. Tank goes to warning light 50kms earlier than it has done so for last year plus. Therefore running out of fuel earlier - which is consistent with the tank holding 5+ litres less than it should. In other words, the guage and mileage are consistent. I can't pump in as much fuel as I used to. Even feathering the pump trigger doesn't help.

There is no obvious damage to the tank - and no known 'grounding' type incident.

Very much doubt anything has been put into the tank (eg sand). No signs of interference (locking fuel cap is intact).

Most interesting comment is this idea of a blocked overflow line - and I'm now wondering whether such a blockage could cause some sort of air lock that could reduce tank volume by up to 5 or more litres.

As I said in my original post, this sounds completely daft - but these are the facts.

Any other ideas? Thanks again to all.

Ian

Last edited:
If there was anything in your tank like crud etc, it would still read full so we can rule that one out.

I think it could only be a vapour lock which won't let the tank fill, a big dent (unlikely) or an inacurate guage. You say the fuel light is coming on earlier, but you arent actually running it out of fuel to see if it goes further once the fuel light is on are you? Maybe there is still heaps left? Your actual fuel consumption hasn't gone up has it? ie L/100km.

My money is on the guage. I guess the only way to really tell would be to drain the tank and see how much it takes to fill.

Have you changed bowser or do you always fill up at the same bowser at the same servo?

Do you fill it till you can see fuel in the filler neck, same level every time?

Rule out those and it's the same response every time. Carry a jerry can and run the tank dry (engine stall), you'll find the five litres.

Most interesting comment is this idea of a blocked overflow line - and I'm now wondering whether such a blockage could cause some sort of air lock that could reduce tank volume by up to 5 or more litres.

There is no overflow line, just a breather tube.

Dunno what the heck it would be blocked with though.

If there was anything in your tank like crud etc, it would still read full so we can rule that one out.

I think it could only be a vapour lock which won't let the tank fill, a big dent (unlikely) or an inacurate guage. You say the fuel light is coming on earlier, but you arent actually running it out of fuel to see if it goes further once the fuel light is on are you? Maybe there is still heaps left? Your actual fuel consumption hasn't gone up has it? ie L/100km.

My money is on the guage. I guess the only way to really tell would be to drain the tank and see how much it takes to fill.

Thanks Matt, Yes - I'll test the run it dry theory that you've suggested, that might reveal that the guage is at fault. And no, fuel consumption is steady. Always around 11 litres - and nothing has changed (conditions, loads, tyres, speeds etc). Thanks for your help.
Ian

Have you changed bowser or do you always fill up at the same bowser at the same servo?

Do you fill it till you can see fuel in the filler neck, same level every time?

Rule out those and it's the same response every time. Carry a jerry can and run the tank dry (engine stall), you'll find the five litres.

Thanks (and for the overflow / breather comment too. To answer your question, yes, filled right to overflowing just to rule out foam, air etc. Usually (before this problem started), I'd just let the pump click off and leave it at that. So no filling issue that I can detect.

As for bowser, the six or so times I have filled (since this problem has emerged) have all been from different locations, last one a gravity feed from the bowser on our farm. Same result every time!

I'll run with the 'run it dry' test suggested by you and Matt and see whether it is simply a faulty guage. That makes more sense - as no other obvious physical things are to blame (sludge, dents etc).

Thanks again
Ian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back