Is there a severe shortage of new D22's?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
After spending time at a Nissan dealer recently I noticed a distinct lack of D22 brochures - I wanted to souvenir one. Not only that but a major lacking of D22's on the lot. Not a one. I counted 5 in the service area but there were not any new vehicles for sale.
It was a 3 month wait to get ours - due to color choice. But there were still white, black and silver available on the lots at that time. Now there are none. In any dealerships that I have seen in Vic
The D22 is still advertised on the Nissan site and I know that the production has just shifted to Thailand so the model is obviously here to stay for the mid term but has anyone heard of troubles getting a new one?
Ours is back to Melton Nissan:victory: next week and I will be interested to find out what the waiting times are for delivery. We ordered ours end of June 09. There is a date stamp on one of the cross members under ours dated 22/08/09 and the build date is marked as Sep 09 - It arrived in Australia on the 21/09 so there is no doubt the factory was going flat out then, but how far behind are they now?

id be more leaning towards them fazing it back out...They wont build em forever..

i doubt they will faze them out. nissan lost a lot of sales when they stopped making the D22 for a year last time.

Nissan has made some money off that chassis and body, the car to remember the most profitable for Nissan.

Dave.

According to people in the UK a new model D40 with a new design is due mid 2010 so maybe they are doing the same with D22 and and bothering to push until they find out exactly what is happening.

I know when I brought mine many dealers claimed the shortage of Navs was because Nissan didn't envisage the high aussie sales figures after the GFC but seriously they have to stop using that excuse soon.

I have been waiting 4 weeks now for a new engine for my str from japan rang up yesterday and it hadnt even left over there..

been waiting 8 months for nismo parts

Go back and tell them that in 8 months, you could have wound up enough rubber bands to out-grunt the Skyline. Ask them which guy's rowing the dinghy over with the bits on board so you can call him and offer him a new hat if he gets here before the Mayan calendar runs out.

Obviously computer parts and car parts come out of different factories in Japan and probably don't even arrive on the same ship but I know there has been an extended wait on some computers and electronic deliveries from Japan, nothing like 8 months but there has been a delay. There was also a delay getting some imports out of Thailand and Taiwan earlier last year, some delays are un-avoidable but some are also just the local distributor not doing all they can to help. In those cases it pays to annoy the crap out of the distributor until they offer something decent or get sick of you and tell you to bugger off.

What happened with me is the car is insured with shannons, so i get choice of repairer, my panel beater ordered the parts with other parts from japan so i had to wait there, took a long time to get here and then customs took there sweet time too, this could be true or all bullcrap but iv been buying a few car parts from the states for my chrysler and now it takes some time to get here. Iv waited this long so im over it and not too fussed any more, gona sell the car when its fixed which is hopefully next month.

Sometimes it just comes down the the perils of importing. I'm involved with a group of companies who do fairly regular imports on different items and sometimes stuff comes in within weeks and other times its seems to take forever.

One problem you can't avoid is which containers customs choose to hold on the dock. We've had containers get through customs in less than 24 hours while others have taken 2 weeks, it's pretty much the luck of the draw. Thats not to say all business waiting on imports have the same issues, some of them are just arseholes, some are just forgetful.

One company I know wont order anything on a ship until they have a full container, which is fair enough, but they don't tell their customers that. If a customer is unlucky enough to order something the day after the last container is on the ship it could take 6-8 weeks before another container load is ordered yet the customer is told nothing. The annoying thing is people still buy stuff from the company.

Lack of stock is for a number of reasons.
1: Since Nissan sacked everyone that knew anything and replaced them with dumb butts from outside the industry there will be no cars laying around on grass/wharf. All stock is sent to dealers if they like it or not. This way no bond/storage fees or interest for Nissan.
2: Since GFC every motor company in the world pulled their head in and backed off on production. The aussie car industry is actually going ok but the head office companies see the world as a whole and Australia is 2% of the market or less.
3: It is the end of the year so they stop bringing in cars (or slow a lot) about November and fire up again in January. This way no old (2009 plated) stock to sacrifice and lose money on.
Just ordered a new Maxima (for the other half) and will be here in April. Mostly because I wanted a 2010 build plate but not many around either if I wanted to cop an old one. My Bro is also ordering one today and his will probably be a similar time.

I know they are probably allocated and/or there for other reasons but there doesn't appear to be a shortage of Nissan's in Perth, I passed a holding yard the other day in the suburbs that had hundreds of Nissan's sitting there waiting for something. I remember years ago passing Nissan in Melb and every time you went past the yard was full of cars waiting delivery and this joint in Perth looked similar to what that used to be. None of the holding yards in Melbourne look like they used to yet they are still telling us we are buying shitloads of new cars.

Was at a dealership today and asked the question " Whats going on with the D22?"
The response was we don't have to market it as supply cannot meet demand. The waiting list is out to May and so Nissan Aus has pulled all marketing material so as not to upset new buyers that want it now. The spare parts bloke I spoke to said they had 21 of them come in on Wed prior and all were ordered and presold so they were gone by Sat afternoon.

From a one point of view it does make sense that they don't want to push the cheaper model no matter how much demand they have for it, especially with the rumours of new models around the corner.

I wonder if it also hasn't got something to do with them wanting to push more D40's especially the RX and ST onto possible D22 buyers. With so many overseas people waiting with baited breath for the new models they are definitely getting maybe they want to push what they can't sell over there in Australia where the market is stronger.

Then again maybe its all just a publicity thing, create demand by portraying that there is so many orders they can't keep up, it's quite common in a lot of industries these days. When I brought mine it was that there was no D40's in the country because the tax offest thing ended (for the first time) on June 30 and they sold all the cars Spain could produce before that date therefore there was a huge wait on production while the recovered.

wonder what the gap is between hilux's and navs sold now?...would you count both navs?
D22 has been sold for 11/12? years now...

According to the figures we get in the paper each week Nav's don't even come close, Hilux is usually in the top 5 if not top 2 and Nav's rarely make the top 10. It's not really that suprising though, with the wait on getting Nav's delivered and the high turn over of Hilux's on farms and on hire purchase Nissan will have to do a lot to catch up to Toyota.

Latest posts

Back