New Head Unit & Rear Door Speakers 2009 STR

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael740

Reaction score
Went ot supercheap and picked a Kenwood KDC MP5043U head unit for $186. It has a front AUX in for an Ipod and also a front USB in and is a good cheap unit. Also Picked up a pair of Fusion 3 way speakers for the rear doors for $54.86 also very good. There is no wiring in the rear doors of the 2009 str so I had to run it($13.00), but not hard just fiddly. So for a total outlay of $254.00 the Nav has a much better sound system. Rear speakers are a must and Nissan should get a rocket for not putting them in.

Attachments

• IMG00121-20100101-1413.jpg
    IMG00121-20100101-1413.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG00128-20100101-1416.jpg
    IMG00128-20100101-1416.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 373
Nice Job.

I put in a new Pioneer unit a few months ago, with new Alpine front speakers behind the factory covers. Great sound but definatley needs the rear speakers put in. I didn't put an amp in, but after listening to amp driven systems now, there is a marked difference. Maybe later, :)

The USB input is actually a godsend, I went naahh, don't need it. BUT, with each 4gb USB stick holding around 8 cds at 320kbit/s, no more boxes of cds to find room for.

Hoo Roo

Cabhsv, the gps is a mio520 and I pulled the oem bracket apart and fitted it to a piece of aluminium angle and screwed that into the little card holder tray (I assume thats what its for as it not big enough for much else). The angle only sticks out about an inch and the holder pretty much hides the screws.
I almost got an amp too raywise but money is a bit tight as I'm saving for a conopy, ipods and usb is definatley the way to go.

ipods and usb is definatley the way to go.

I have replaced my stock head unit with an Alpine, it now has BT and iPod connectivity which I find fantastic. I have only had poor experiences with in-car BT before but this Parrot BT is faultless.

I also have a 120GB iPod Classic hooked up, it currently has 58GB of music, 1GB of videos (just short clips of the Nav in action) and also carries a full backup of all my photo's @ 27GB. The photo's part is handy because apart from acting as a backup it's good for showing people that you meet different places and area's that you've been.

I still need to investigate the rear speaker option but I will do that when time allows.

How did you get the front dash off i only see 2 screws and have no idea where the clips are and do not want to crack the dash i have a 09 str. I already own an alpine head unit, 6 inch split speakers which ill mount in front door and 6x9's thinking of mounting behind the seat any guidance would be awsome!!!

Bought a fusion CA-IP500 head unit, Mongoose M60S alarm system with turbo timer so I plan on installing these, along with my Focal BUS25 slimline 10" subwoofer today. do you guys know what size the front speakers are, so I can go buy some without pulling the door cards off first? And what size are they in the rear doors that you've installed? 4"?

After you undo the 2 screws pull out both ash trays, insert your fingers in the holes and pull towards yourself.

Cheers for the reply.. worked a charm now how do i get the doors off.. also did you use a ISO wiring harness from your alpine head unit to the female plug on your Nissan or cut and solder?

Last edited:
doors are easy, undo the 2 grey plastic screw fixings near the hinge end of the door panels, undo the screw in the bottom of the little tray on the arm rest, and undo the screw in the door handle, and remove the plastic surround. Pull the door panels straight out of the doors. Once you've pulled the panel off the clips (sides and bottom) the panel will simply lift out (the top of the door panel has a lip which sits in where the window is). Take care as your power window/mirror wiring harness is still connected so you'll have to take reasonable care not to damage the wiring.

did you use a ISO wiring harness from your alpine head unit to the female plug on your Nissan or cut and solder?

I actually bought the ISO harness, made things nice and easy. Of course one thing I did not do is run the wiring from the new Pioneer stereo through to the rear doors when I had everything apart, DOH.! I still haven't bought rears yet, but it would have made sense to have the wiring ready. :suicide:

Hoo Roo

where did you get the ISO plug from? did you have to solder the wires from the ISO harness to the head unit, or did it plug straight in?

I have a D22, and bought a Fusion head unit, I want to be able to plug it straight in so that I don't have to modify the factory wiring harness incase I want to put the stock one back in when i sell it in a couple of years or whatever.

Hey thanks for the advice installed it all today.. there is factory fitted 6.5 inch speakers made out of cardboard i may add haha in the front door. ran into no problems thanks all!!

where did you get the ISO plug from? did you have to solder the wires from the ISO harness to the head unit, or did it plug straight in?

No soldering necessary. I went to Supercheap and Autobarn, and bought one of the ISO Nissan to Pioneer stereo adapters, and just plugged it in. Works a treat, around $20.00 from memory.

This page http://www.aerpro.com.au/vrg.php has the harnesses listed, but Fusion is not among them, only the main manufacturers, so some soldering might need doing in your case.

Hoo Roo

Last edited:
The panasonic one looks the same as the fusion plug, maybe it will work. So the vehicle wiring plugs into the Aerpro harness, and the other end of the harness plugs into the head unit?

I retract my previous statement. I actually got off my arse and looked, I couldn't be certain which harness was the right one so I just ordered both online - one of them will fit and the other one can go on ebay. I went to Supercheap/Repco/autobarn here but none of them had the right ones...

The panasonic one looks the same as the fusion plug, maybe it will work. So the vehicle wiring plugs into the Aerpro harness, and the other end of the harness plugs into the head unit?

I'm fairly certain thats what I did. From memory the Nissan loom had 2 parts, and I had to remove the second harness, (which connects to the std Nissan stereo). Then the Aerpro plugged into the main loom, then to the new stereo.

You'll see straight away what needs to be done.

Hoo Roo

The head unit i have came with an ISO harness, so all I had to buy was the one that has the two 8-pin ISO plugs, and the 2 x female Nissan sockets on the other end. Should be all sweet, there was only two nissan ones on Aerpro website and i bought both of them so one should work. Will let you know how I go on the weekend if it turns up by then

Hi,
Just got a used stereo unit that can play mp3 and DVDs from me friend and would love to get this in asap. Not sure about how to go about removing the cover though. I'm afraid of breaking a clip here and there and mess things up..... STR 06 Navara... The original unit has also started giving trouble every now and then. Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks

Hey mate just take the two screws out where the a/c controls are and then pull the ashtrays out. Pull it out from these two ashtray holes. It will take a fair bit of force but don't worry it is well made.

Latest posts

Back