Boredom !

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanFoldi

Reaction score
Ok so onto shoulder surgery number 2 in the past 2 years..... Just been in a sling for six weeks and now I am able to try and start using my arm again :) only problem is it is useless lol. Feels like it has been cemented into place this time. Had a lot of plans for the nav with my time off but looks like it will need to wait even longer:( so now even with my sling off I still can't even drive to get out of the house and day time tv was killing me from day 1 ! Ah well guess there is not much I can do so rant over lol. Hope your all having a good weekend and hitting the tracks.

Deanfoldi.

Well you are one up one me I refused to go back for the second surgery on my shoulder.

The surgeon gave me about a 60% chance a second attempt was going to work but recovery from the second bout would take longer. I was 4 weeks on morphine tablets, 10 weeks in a sling and 6 months rehab only to find that the tear was not the only issue. During recovery I had 6 hydros because the MRI's kept telling them there was no issues and all that was needed was a hydro to free up and expand the joint. Yet by the time the second surgery was spoken about the surgeon was still not entirely sure what the problem was because the MRI's were inconclusive.

6 years on I can lift things like cement bags, shopping etc but I still can't do repetitive movements, I still take pain killers every now and again, although I've just learnt to live with the pain rather than take tablets but I still don't regret not having the surgery given the chances and the fact that they never found further issues after they repaired the labrum.

I remember seeing the stats from the surgeon before surgery that said Frozen shoulder only happens in 8% of cases. Because I was desperate to get rid of the pain in the first place I accepted those odds but it wasn't until after surgery that I realised their figures were for total frozen shoulder, the figures for partial frozen shoulder (which covers 1% loss to 99%) after surgery are actually up in the 80% area.

I wish you the luck I never had. But if you don't get it, fcuk it life still goes on.

Yeah mate that's not cool at all I certainly feel for you. This is not the same shoulder though lol I got hurt at work and killed them both ! And yeah it's the most painful thing I have ever do e that's for sure. Funny what u were saying about the frozen shoulder though.... My 1st op felt much different to this one my shoulder actually feels like it is like glued in place never to move again..... And the amount of muscle loss in my arm this time is amazing I can't even move any part of the shoulder only have movement from the elbow down. I must admit though my first shoulder op was January 2012 and it is amazing now I have lost a little bit of move meant but was well worth the op. just hope this one works out as well.

As much as you can only believe about 50% of what you read on the internet on any given subject have a hunt around medical sites for frozen shoulder there is quite a lot surgeons don't tell you and quite alot you can do to help alleviate it. The guy that did mine is the same guy the AFL uses, the same guy who gets AFL players back on the field within weeks, the same guy who actually helped pioneer the way shoulder surgery is done these days yet he still didn't tell me more than he wanted me to know about frozen shoulder.

Sitting here I don't have pain in my shoulder at the moment but the entire arm has pins and needles which is a common feeling these days. First time I felt it I shit myself because it was around the time they were running ads about strokes and that one symptom can be pin and needles throughout the left arm. Wasn't until I was reading up on frozen shoulder I also found out that it's a major symptom of frozen shoulder I might still have a heart attack but I wont know about it because I'll just think it's my shoulder giving me the shits. :sarcastic:

Think I,ll stick with a crook knee, stuck shoulder no thanks, at least while limping I can still wipe my own fat arse lol

I never had trouble wiping my arse because I'm right handed.

When I got my shoulder done I probably wouldn't have noticed a crook knee because I spent so many weeks on my arse, that's part of the reason it is a fat arse.

Ha ha yeah I had trouble wiping my ass for the 1st shoulder lol now I struggle to brush my teeth ! Try brushing your teeth with the oposite hand.... Toothpaste every where and I feel like a spastic ha ha. The worst is trying to shower no matter what arm it is.

Yeah showering was bloody annoying, I had that water proof bandage shit over the wounds for the first week or so but they still told me not to get it wet, I thought that was the idea of the bandage being water proof.

Nearly as bad as having a foot in plaster, I remember years ago having to shower on a seat with my foot in a garbage bag so I didn't get the plaster wet.

Sometimes it seems like surgeons just want to make us look like retards!

I had the wife glad wrap my knee yesterday, and tape top and bottom. Did a good job too it stayed dry and I got rid of the bo

Wow ! You guys are starting to scare me ! I had my shoulder done Monday night . And I now know that I don't like pain . It's starting to get better . But Holy Shit I wasn't aware of the stats relating to frozen shoulders . I have been bad and haven't been wareing my sling . Because It's hot and uncomfortable. I hope it doesn't cause me any problems :eek:

Mate not wearing your sling has a good chance of destroying all the work that was done in there and it could possibly end up a hell of alot worse then you went in with. Which in turn will mean another op..... Do you really want to go through it again ? They immobilize it for a reason. I would never not wear a sling in this case where you have just been operated on. A surgeon would not get you to wear it if it is not needed. Really hope you have not damaged anything because that would really suck.

I had the wife glad wrap my knee yesterday, and tape top and bottom. Did a good job too it stayed dry and I got rid of the bo

Haha I remember using a garbage bag and elastic bands when I broke my foot. Not sure what is worse the weight of the foot you can't do anything with or the elastic bands cutting of the circulation to your lower leg :big_smile:

Mate not wearing your sling has a good chance of destroying all the work that was done in there and it could possibly end up a hell of alot worse then you went in with.

I agree with that. I had mine done in the middle of summer and it was hot sweaty and uncomfortable but the only time I took it out of the sling was to have a shower to do exercises.

It does depend a lot on what you've had done of course generally the deeper they have to go in the longer you are in a sling and on restricted movements. There was no way I could even lift my arm after a week so I was in the sling until the doc said otherwise, yet my bro was back at work within a week after his shoulder surgery. We had two completely different ops but both were listed as 'shoulder operations' so some people will have movement and not need a sling for as long but if the doc give you a time, far better to put up with the discomfort for a few days than for several years.

Yer well I had the op on Monday night and was called to have phyisio on Wednesday .
All I know is I have 5 holes in my shoulder and the doc told me that I now have 2 screws to help attach the tendon.

If you're going to Physio that soon then going without the sling probably isn't a huge issue, just like my bro who was back at work after a week. I wasn't even allowed to talk to the physio until 8 weeks and he couldn't start rehab until the 10th week.

Back