Repairing a Turbo Tent

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBOD

Reaction score
A month or so ago we bought a Black Wolf 240 Twin Turbo Tent which we got second hand off a fella who only used it three times before selling it on. I had a good look over it before buying it and it all looked good.

However, on our second night camping in the tent the ground sheet ripped where it joins the frame:

20130410_095256.jpg

20130410_095306.jpg

I'm now trying to repair the rip. while camping we simply used fabric gaffer tape which held fine but needed replacing every few days. Since back we have tried Seamseal http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx which the tent shops recommended as being the "fix anything" solution but sadly it simply cured and peeled off.

Does anybody have any ideas how to repair the rip? Given it is right next to the frame it needs to be a strong and water proof fix, but so far we can't get any kind of fix. The ground sheet is made from a heavy gauge tarp and I can't help thinking that looking at all the other joints we need to so how melt it back together to close the gap but no idea how you'd go about it.

Any ideas would be very welcomed.

But how do you attach the new piece over it? The seamseal is supposed to be the best strong and flexible glue but it doesn't bond to the plastic the ground sheet is made from and don't know of any other flexible glues that would be strong. Any reommendations

u dont use glue really

you get the patch coat the edges with wax.. just rub it on

then stitch it together use a heavy braid and do a railway style stitch

Glue is ok for a temporary fix. The underlying material is woven mat with a plastic coat, and that's basically what you have to replace. You need to put a strong material over the break, then tie that material to the base material - much like Jimmy has suggested. Seal it up later - you could use sikaflex, which will remain flexible but will probably peel away from the base material regardless. If everything is sewn together tightly, it will need very little and a good wax like you'd use on a Drizabone coat might be sufficient.

Zed, tried sikaflex today and aside from being damn messy it did, as Tony says, peeled off after being left for a few hours to cure. Guess I'm going to need to get the needle work skills up to speed. Cheers fellas

Stitch a patch over it one on both sides with believe it or not DENTAL FLOSS, its made from nylon and wax coated so it wont rot. We use to use it to fix wetsuits and life jackets and it is unbelievably STRONG.
Once you have stitched the patch on rub or melt wax into the stitching which will make it water tight.

Well first off I managed to find possibly the only material Skilaflex doesn't stick to:

20130512_121137.jpg

And there was me thinking That stuff was like the proverbial sticking the blankets. However I had surprising success with the dental floss (the wife thought I'd lost the plot when sat there sewing with the stuff):

20130512_122152.jpg

And then to waterproof it I stuck Tenacious Tape front and back:

20130512_122159.jpg

And from what I can tell it seems strong and waterproof so I'm reckoning all good. It went up ok and didn't rip own again. Happy days

Good old dental floss does it again. Mate i still have a few life jackets that are still going that were stitched up with it and they dont look like failing again. My uncle has taken to stitching up all sorts with it hahaha running shoes, camp bags, tarps the lot it fairdinkum has a 1001 uses lol

Glad to here it worked and save you a few bucks.

Last edited:
Good old dental floss does it again. Mate i still have a few life jackets that are still going that were stitched up with it and they dont look like failing again. My uncle has taken to stitching up all sorts with it hahaha running shoes, camp bags, tarps the lot it fairdinkum has a 1001 uses lol

Glad to here it worked and save you a few bucks.

If you beat me to the market with the Dental Floss Snatch Strap you can have the distribution rights to it.

Good to see it's sorted. Where do you get that tape from?

I bought the tape off eBay. Tried the local camp shops but to no avail so ordered it.

Dental floss is now in our emergency repair kit for sure, I'm sure it'll works on a torn tyre or snapped fan belt one day.

Last edited:
I bought the tape off eBay. Tried the local camp shops but to no avail so ordered it.

Dental floss is now in our emergency repair kit for sure, I'm sure it'll works on a torn tyre or snapped fan belt one day.

:rofl2: the lists of uses grows, snatch straps (im not sure which snatch Tony meant but i hope he meant the 4x4 one :sarcastic:) tyre repairs and fan-belt repairs,
i think we need a book on all the uses.

Hey, a month ago I would have laughed if you'd put sewing tents on a list of uses for dental floss so you never know........I'm off to the shed to weave me a snatch strap trial run....

Latest posts

Back