Exogear iPad Mount

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBOD

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good ipad mount for a while now as I use my ipad for GPS navigation off road using Mudmap. I had been looking at the Ram Mounts but never brought myself to buy one as they are quite pricey and also all appeared to be permentantly mounted which I didn't want because it will invite some Pykie to break in to the truck to see if I've left the ipad under the seat.

So I started looking at the demo unstable options. I immediately discounted the idea of those that hang off the air vents, sounds fine for a phone but I can't imagine its strong enough for an ipad swinging about off road.

I also looked at he sucker on the window jobs but I've had these sort before for my phone and they have a habit of dropping of when they loose seal so they were discounted. So what to do. I wanted:

ipad mount
Strong enough to hod secure off road
Removable when I'm not in the car
Easily viable from the drivers seat and also passenger seat (for navigator on board)

And the wife finally came across a mount that worked for all these and so for my Birthday bought me the exogear tablet mount:

http://www.exogear.com/products-exomount-tablet-car-dash-mount.html

It's not the cheapest option but it does work very well and while it is a suction cup mount the cup is made from a stick gel type plastic which sticks to the dash and maintains the seal when you wind the suction cup down.

20130419_082515.jpg

And after a five day trip along dirt roads, corrugations and rutted tracks I can confirm it held grip throughout and he'd it pretty solid. The arm on it is also very well made and didn't flex or vibrate loose at all.

20130419_082509.jpg

All in all I'm pretty impressed and happy to recommend if anybody is looking for a tablet mount:

20130418_173352.jpg

looks the goods, how do you find the "MUDMAP" app? any glitches? does it ever loose your location? ect

Nathan, I have memory map and mudmap both running. I have to say mudmap is by far the better app to use (slick, intuitive and just works - never let me down yet) but the 1:25k maps on memory map are far better. However this isn't because of a strength in memory map but instead a weakness in mudmap. On mudmap you have to zoom in a long way before the small trails (the forest tracks etc we are likely to be looking for) appear. They are there, they just don't show up. This makes it very difficult to plan trips and scan around for routes. I therefore use memory map to plan trips and the mudmaps once I'm on the trip.

Memory map on the other hand has let me down time and again either because the maps for the area I'm in havnt downloaded before I left (despite saying it had) or the maps would be corrupted. Bag of crap in this regard to be honest.

If mudmaps could have a setting the user could change to set at what zoom trails showed up then they'd have it sorted.

I have a RAM mount for mine which i also modified to carry the remote head of an ICOM 706 HF radio

tou can get these in Victoria from here http://www.piplus.com.au call Ian he will help you configure what you need and is a nice bloke toboot

Nathan, I have memory map and mudmap both running. I have to say mudmap is by far the better app to use (slick, intuitive and just works - never let me down yet) but the 1:25k maps on memory map are far better. However this isn't because of a strength in memory map but instead a weakness in mudmap. On mudmap you have to zoom in a long way before the small trails (the forest tracks etc we are likely to be looking for) appear. They are there, they just don't show up. This makes it very difficult to plan trips and scan around for routes. I therefore use memory map to plan trips and the mudmaps once I'm on the trip.

Memory map on the other hand has let me down time and again either because the maps for the area I'm in havnt downloaded before I left (despite saying it had) or the maps would be corrupted. Bag of crap in this regard to be honest.

If mudmaps could have a setting the user could change to set at what zoom trails showed up then they'd have it sorted.

Great info. Thanks for the rundown, sounds like the way to go running the two apps fro the moment. It will still work out cheaper then running the HEMA app.

Back