4wd on wet tar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap55s

Reaction score
hey. Firstly. We all know how these bad boys handle in the wet. Ie rain. Now, to maintain traction, in the wet in lock hubs and shift to 4H. Is this bad for the diff?

it is a bit.
probably why nissan do not recommend going over 80km/h in 4x4.
trouble is wet tarseal isn't constantly slippery. i've not had a big problem in the wet even with mud tires. driving in 4wd also mean you can go faster than your ability to steer or stop.

Without a central differential yes it is bad.
In the same way that a differential works to allow both rear tyres (or front) to rotate at different speeds a central differential allows the front and rear wheels to rotate at different speeds. Constant AWD vehicles have these - yours doesn't.

transfer chain in these things are weak enough. Id never be game to do that.

I used to drive mine locked on the road wet or dry for 16km once a month, im pretty sure it said that in the owners man. It doesnt make sense but i did it anyway.

I used to drive mine locked on the road wet or dry for 16km once a month, im pretty sure it said that in the owners man. It doesnt make sense but i did it anyway.

when its locked it helps with moving the lubricant around in the joints/shaft as when unlocked they aren't moving so you just have a bit of grease sitting in the same spot for 1000's of km's...well thats what i've been told?

locked hubs in 2wd is different to locked hubs and in 4wd.

manual does say if you dont use 4x4 regularly to lock the front hubs and drive in 2h to get everything moving.
The opening poster tho wants to lock hubs and use 4x4 onroad... not a good idea...

Snow tyres are crap in the wet. I had some once in a past automotive life. But in slushy wet mud or snow and ice they are brilliant due to the large block tread. I would still have reservations about running 4x4 through a transfer case even in the wet. You have to rely upon slippage between front and rear to make up for the lack of centre differential.
I see your in Jindabyne - grouse tyres for the winter but obviously not suited for the off season. Perhaps look at a set of summer and winter options. A set of steel rims can be had from $110 a piece plus rubber - much cheaper than a rebuild on the transfer case.

Back