air con

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vsteve01

Reaction score
Hi,

2005 D22 3.0lt TD

Was driving back from Darwin over the past couple of days.

Had some problems part of the way back with the air con blowing hot air on occasion, especially at high speed, reving 3 3/4-4.

It's never had a problem. Ok all the way up to, fine 4wd'ing in the flinders for 4 days in 45+degree days.

When it's blowing cold, it's really cold.

What do people reckon could be wrong with it?

Low gas, fault somewhere?

Cheers
Steve

The first thing you need to find out is if the compressor is working, if it is then it could still be a few different things and one of those may be that it needs regassing.

An auto elec should be able to diagnose for nothing, it might pay to get a second opinion to make sure the first one is right but most auto elecs I know would usually tell you the issue for nothing in a matter of minutes

Mine used to blow hot air on occasion cause i had a condenser filled with mud up front, i did clean it out and it works better but i still get it blowing hot air now once again on occasion when the engine temp starts to rise slightly, even though i see the engine temp needle has not moved yet i know when the engine is working harder by the sound it makes and the revs stay higher a little longer when i take my foot of the throttle.
Iv put ity down to too much weight fitted on the car and now need a bigger radiator.

Solid, I'd still consider that to be a problem that needs fixing.

At one point during our recent trip, it was around 40C outside and we were hauling up a hill and for the first time, I saw the water temp gauge start to move. It rose up rather quickly, too, but then I was pushing 100km/h+ on an incline that would be near 1 in 3.5 or so, hauling the 2-tonne van. I backed it off to about 90 and watched the needle fall back to where it usually sits.

The airconditioning didn't blink even once during the entire trip, even when we pushed the Navara hard.

I have no idea what would cause a sudden blast of heat, I'd be taking it to an air con expert myself.

If the engine temp goes up to much the computer can stop the air con from working.

Dave.

Tony i know its not a prob because it happens to me in the same situation as what has happened to you, its only when doing 110km/h and driving it hard up a hill on hot days. I will eventually fit a bigger radiator when everything else gets sorted out first.

You can bet I won't be doing that for a couple of years, Solid ... don't want to push my luck with the warranty.

I think Dave's got a good point - the idea of shutting down the air con would stop the heat exchanger from working, which would allow slightly cooler air to pass over the radiator.

Be interesting to see the ECU's engine temp and water temp figures when the heat blast happens.

My warranty ran out ages ago so im on my own with repairs, i know its just been all the extra weight causing it to heat up when it does and muddies dont help too, the solid conversion would of had to add id say 300kg's on top of what it originally weighed with the ifs.
Plus me getting older and drinking more beer more often iv put on a few extra kg's too, that cant be good. lol.

My warranty ran out ages ago so im on my own with repairs, i know its just been all the extra weight causing it to heat up when it does and muddies dont help too, the solid conversion would of had to add id say 300kg's on top of what it originally weighed with the ifs.
Plus me getting older and drinking more beer more often iv put on a few extra kg's too, that cant be good. lol.

I can't help you with the getting older bit but I'd be more than happy to take the beer supply off your hands and look after it to save any of those extra kg's for you

mine seems to be doing something similar in the same conditions, driving @ 100+ over long periods. i had a look and the thermo fan on the front of the radiator has thrown a fan blade through the front basket so it's not working. this makes me think that the compressor is cutting out momentarily to cool then cut back in. i can hear a different pitch to the engine when it cuts in too. and for me the hot air is as hot as fan only, but the A/C is cold as ever when engaged. i'll change over the thermo fan and let you know how i get on.

Latest posts

Back