G'Day To All.......

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Have just ordered my new 09 D22 STR Navara last week, Steel BullBar, H/D Towbar, Cruise, Remote Keyless Entry, Roof Racks, Child Restraints & couple of other small options. Also getting a custom rear steel tray with boxes and ladder racks made up from the Guys at Tyrer Engineering in Colac, VIC.

Would like to lift it up a bit and maybe put some decent All Terrain Tyres & Sunraysia wheels on it? Any ideas whats best?

Will be fitting a UHF & good antenna to the bar & some rear speakers in cabin.

Is there any other mods that I should be looking at doing for some casual off roading and camping trips, thinking of joining the local 4WD club also.

Cheers Guys, Matt VNET Pro - Data & Communication

Welcome to the forum Matt,

I'd look at some AT tyres first, the most used ATs would be Cooper STs and BFG All Terrains, I've heard good and bad reports about both, another one I've only heard good about at the Mickey Thompson ATZs, everything I've read about them has been good so far.

With regards to suspension, a lot depends on your budget, you can do simple things like just winding the front torsion bars, and fitting some extended shackles to the rear leaves for a few hundred but it won't ride any better, or you can go a bit further and replace shocks, torsion bars and leaves which will improve the suspension a lot for $1000-2000, pretty common knowledge that the stock shocks and rear leaves are average at best when it comes to comfort.

Hope this helps.

No worries, thanks for the advice.

With the suspension I've heard these brands are the way to go, Old Man Emu, Ironman or Snake Racing? Had any experiences with these at all?
With the steel tray and boxes on the rear want to get something decent for on and off road travel if thats possible.......
My brother runs BFG's on his hilux 31x10.5x15 with a 2" lift, any ideas what the D22 STR's can handle under them standard or then with a small lift?

Cheers again Matt

Found this on the net,

285/75R16 is a 33x11.50R16

265/75R16 (Standard on D22) is a 32/10.50R16

265/70R16 is a 31/10.50R16

Is this accurate at all?

No worries, thanks for the advice.

With the suspension I've heard these brands are the way to go, Old Man Emu, Ironman or Snake Racing? Had any experiences with these at all?
With the steel tray and boxes on the rear want to get something decent for on and off road travel if thats possible.......
My brother runs BFG's on his hilux 31x10.5x15 with a 2" lift, any ideas what the D22 STR's can handle under them standard or then with a small lift?

Cheers again Matt

Old Man Emu (ARB) is alright I believe, a lot of people use it just because of the ARB name behind it, the Ironman gear is more your lower end of the market gear, that's what I'm using on mine and to date I have no complaints with it, Snake Racing stuff is good too, but a bit pricey, and not all much value for money in my opinion, others may disagree.

I'm pretty sure your D22 will have 265/70/16 (about 30.6" in the old money), 265/75/16 will fit in a mud terrain with a little trim of the front mud flaps, 285/75/16 in an AT will go with the same treatment, 285/75/16 in a mud may also go but I haven't tried it myself yet.

265/70/16= Less than a 31", about 30.5"
265/75/16= 32"x10.5"
285/75/16= 33"x11.5"

^ Ditto above except for the remarks on ARB, everyone at ARB that I have ever dealt with are a bunch of wanker's.

I am running Bilstien shock and think they are unbeatable. Not cheap but awesome.

My next set of tyres are gonna be Mickey Thompson MTZ's. I am running Cooper ST's which are awesome to but wanna try the MTZ's.

Dave.

Hi Guys,

Firstly welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.

I just had a question on the AT's tyres you have mentioned above (any make), what sort of mileage would you get from them from using them on the road.

I do alot of highway driving to get to my jobs but then can be off road for where the need for these tyres is almost a must, thats what I tell the wife anyway....

Instead of carrying 2 sets of wheels and tyres around whats my next option. Would you stay with the original tyres and make do?

Also what wheels do you guys run the cater for these tyres?

Factory tyres are rubbish....at 18000ks when i got rid of them..there was no way they would have lasted another 18000ks which is pretty bad for an A/T which should get more then 40. My Mickey thompson claws(agressive muddies) have done 20000ks and are in better shape then what the factory ones were. But thats just from my experience...

i got 55000 out of factory d40 tyres but thatwas nearly all highway.
i now have BFG T/A and all reports say i should get 70000+. i have already done 25000 most on the highway some in the bush and they still look brand new. it drives about 100% better than the crappy factory ones.

How much on road driving do you do on them? Are they noisey on the road at highway speeds?

the Micky t claws i only use on road, there my dailys, 31". They make noise but nothing the volume dial on the stereo wont fix.

My factory Bridgestones last 39,000km's. Running Cooper ST's now and should be good for another 10,000km's. Getting Mickey Thompson MTZ's next.

Dave.

Does anyone have any stories or info about the GoodYear Wrangler MTZ's, have been told that 15" sunraysia's wont fit on my new D22 (when it turns up) only 16"s due to size of the front callipers, can anyone tell me if this is correct?

depends on the offset of the rim. Navara offset 15s wont fit, landcruiser offset will, im unsure about the inbetweens (landcruiser is the biggest from factory offset you can get, it will increase the wheel track by about 4 1/2 inches)

i run 15 inch but its a hilux offset. its a bit more offset that the nissan rims . just the average sunraysia rim. they are 7 x 15 and i have 33 x 12.5 goodyear wranglers mt/r on them. i dont ever let the tie presure down very low so the tyres stay on the rims but would prefer 16inch with a partol offset.

Latest posts

Back