D21 2.7TD rev counter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi Kev

Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie here.
Have just had a replacement engine fitted to my 1995 D21 2.7 Turbo Diesel 4WD dual cab. My original engine dropped a valve seat and damaged the piston, head and cylinder.
The replacement engine came out of Terrano I think.
My question/problem is where to hook the rev counter wires to on the Terrano engine.
On the original engine the rev counter wires connected to a sensor (I think it is a sensor) on the LHS of the timing cover (as seated in truck). The Terrano engine doesn't have those connections on the timing cover.
Is it as simple as changing the timing cover over, and will there be sensors behind the cover to drive rev counter.
Hope someone can help me.
Kiwi Kev

Last edited:
hey kiwi kev,
this has been written about in another post

'Just in case anyone else has this problem (and it has been discussed before here) the usual place for the tacho sender on a TD27 is on the front of the timing cover on the LHS near the alternator. The sender on the turbo motor is under the injector pump on the front cover. If you connect the wire on the turbo motor up to the non-turbo loom after you have done an engine swap the tacho will go off scale as has been said above. Even if you adjust the pot inside the tacho you can't get it much under 4k at idle. This is because the number of pulses off the pump gear is 5 times more than off the idler gear. If you want to use the original tacho the options are to buy an after market pulse converter from an instrument supply place (I was quoted $400) or to replace the turbo timing cover with the cover from a non turbo motor and use the techo sensor in its original location. I did this. I also tried to get a tacho from a turbo (Terrano) that fitted my instrument panel but after several months trying gave up. "

Hi

You can also pull your alternator apart and solder a wire on (any) one of the windings in the case. This will provide a pulse.

Alan

Latest posts

Back