What UHF are you using?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navara_cruz

Reaction score
HI Guys,

It seems that I will travelling for work a fair bit this year and would like to install a UHF to keep in contact with people while on the road. I was just wondering what makes and models people have been using and what i need to get set up, antennas, uhf units etc....

Will be travelling to places like the Kimberlies, WA so there will be sure to be good photos on my return.

i run a uniden UHF UH 500SX-RM.

its the topline uniden you can get i believe and since i only run it in the city and at the farm i have a smallish GME antenna, not a large solid fibre glass rod one.

though i've heard GME is pretty good, and then there is the GME vs Uniden debate and theres numerous story's of bad things for each side such as GME having terrible screens that need replacing all the time to Uniden having the speakers blow all the time.

in my opinion, uniden is better as it was a standard requirement for all vehicles at my dads mine. no reason why they would pick a crap radio for mining?

Last edited:
I got a Uniden UH090 AM and UHF radio.

Its good. Good sound, good power and looks good.

I thought I wanted AM as well but now I realise that nobody does.

I run a Uniden UH-013. I have drowned it and sprayed some electronics cleaner on it and let it dry and she is still saving me on speeding fines.

Antenna wise I run a GME AE4705. Brilliant antenna, there worth a $200 but I got mine cheaper for $130 because my sisters boy friend use to work for a company that fitted out all the mine vehicles up this way.

Dave.

where'd you find out the channels that the cops are using dave?

or what else do you mean by shes saving you on speeding fines?

Mate I spend a fair abit of time on the new england highway, channel 40 is what the truckies use. The truck drivers point out every cop car on the road.

The Pacific highway is channel 29, which the truck's use. You can use either 29 or 40 on the F3 freeway.

I have a scanner in my UHF aswell, so I can listen to the police, fireys, ambo's, mines etc.

Dave.

then there is the GME vs Uniden debate and theres numerous story's of bad things for each side such as GME having terrible screens that need replacing all the time to Uniden having the speakers blow all the time.

In the Navara I have a GME and the screen is all cloudy, In the Rallycar I have a Uniden with a blown speaker!:spit: So now I know they're common faults.:lol:

LOL

glad to let you know that you're not the only one!

also i read guys that took back their GME's that had bad screens and got new replacements no questions asked, or maybe that was uniden? just try your luck and go to your nearest uniden/gme distributor or base sales thingo

i got 2. GME TX3220 with a police scanner in my old nav, and a Uniden UH0-15 in my D22 with a GME AE4705. both got police, and on a good day i could talk from redcliffe to just out of clackline( approx 40kms).

bah, i put some police channels in and i get stuff all on the copper channels, then again, i rarely see them round here.

anyone got a list of copper channels that you usually hear stuff on?

cheers

No police channels in Vic anymore, I programmed them in to mine and wondered why I couldn't hear anything, since found out Vic coppers have gone digital now.

Just ordered the GME TX4400 & TX670 Handheld Pack, GME AE4018K1 Antenna and a 45mm bullbar bracket. Hoping to mount the UHF under the car radio on the dash, get rid of the small storage there, anyone else done this?

Also, been a while since I had a UHF in a car, do these still need tuning? ie. SWR'ing in? Think I still have my old SWR meter in the garage :)

Last edited:
Just ordered the GME TX4400 & TX670 Handheld Pack, GME AE4018K1 Antenna and a 45mm bullbar bracket. Hoping to mount the UHF under the car radio on the dash, get rid of the small storage there, anyone else done this?

Also, been a while since I had a UHF in a car, do these still need tuning? ie. SWR'ing in? Think I still have my old SWR meter in the garage :)

The TX4400 fits fine in there, can't remember exactly how I did mine but I either drilled holes or used existing in the cage that's there to mount the radio, and I put some 6mm foam tape around the outside of the unit to fill the gap between it and the surround.

You shouldn't need to check the SWR on the AE4018K1, it is pre-tuned from the factory, just mount it on the bar, run the cable into the cab, cut off the excess and fit the plug.

All CB sets are manufactured to the relevant Oz standard at the time of their type test (the test they are given before they are placed on the market.) These standards/specifications have not changed therefore they all have the same Tx power output. They all have similar Rx sensitivities, this is governed by the by the limits of technology. Any variation in the performance of this equipment will be in the antenna you hook it to. Despite the forum belly aching you see their reliability is similar.

The main consideration I see in purchasing equipment is the supplier. If you are happy with web and mail order purchases then go for the best value on the set that has the features you desire. With this style of purchase warranty can be a hassle, the seller will play hard to get and you loose control of your equipment when you post it back.

My recommendation is to purchase equipment from a supplier that you can eyeball. He can give you personal attention and can demonstrate the equipment. Choose one who can do most of the warranty servicing on site. Yes you can pay more on the initial purchase but you can receive advice on the installation and will most likely save in the long run when you strike warranty problems. This may in turn limit the brands you can purchase.

PeterD

Last edited:
It's a bit red v blue I have a gme tx 4400 and am verry happy with it . I chose to buy Australian

Back