D22 Snorkel Difference 06 model / 08 model

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nav-pilot

Reaction score
D22 Snorkel Difference 06 model / 08 model (Nissan Genuine Snorkel)

Looking at the battery option for up the front of the nav where the precleaner is on the 2006 model D22.

I think that the actual snorkel are the same. The inner guard tube are the same, the air box is the same.
The only difference is the pre cleaner on the 2006 model and no pre cleaner on the 2008 model.

The hole that is in the metal inner guard is a factory pressed hole, I cant see them changing that hole between the old and new models.

Therefore the inner guard tube should also be the same.

Therefore if you get the tube of the 2008 model that runs between the airbox and the inner guard tube it should fit the 2006 model.

The only other thing that looks different is the air sensor in the tube that runs in the back of the airbox.

The first pic is of Jasons Silver Bullet under bonnet, New model D22. (hope you dont mind me posting your pic Jason)

The second pic is of my 2006 D22 under bonnet

Would Like to hear your comments on this subject
Thanks Guys

2008 model
d222008model.jpg

2006 model
d222006model.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All, Just to throw something else out there. I have a safari snorkel on my 2006 D22. Any thoughts on how that tube you mentioned may fit with an after market snorkel? I'd like to think it will fit, but if that is a no go for me, then I am considering an optima battery which is a sealed unit. Apparently (according to the website), you can mount them on their side as they are a sealed unit which means I could sneak a "D35" model battery in the spot that is left over. Has anyone else got a dual battery set up out there with a safari snorkel? If so' I'd love to see a few pix! Thanks in advance!

Hi All, Just to throw something else out there. I have a safari snorkel on my 2006 D22. Any thoughts on how that tube you mentioned may fit with an after market snorkel? I'd like to think it will fit, but if that is a no go for me, then I am considering an optima battery which is a sealed unit. Apparently (according to the website), you can mount them on their side as they are a sealed unit which means I could sneak a "D35" model battery in the spot that is left over. Has anyone else got a dual battery set up out there with a safari snorkel? If so' I'd love to see a few pix! Thanks in advance!

You can still put the 2nd battery up the back right hand corner.
4WD Systems in Adelaide do a kit. I have one on mine. Doesn't matter what snorkel you have.
I am only looking at the front option as I am thinking down the track i may run a third battery or if funds permit going the air to water intercooler & my second battery now will probably be in the road.

http://www.navara.asia/gallery/data/500/medium/2nd_battery_nav.jpg

Last edited:
No new d22s to compare

This should probably come under the shortage of new d22s.
I have driven past my local nissan dealer a few times now and there is no stock in there.
i want to call in and line my d22 up against the new model a suss this snorkel joing tube up.
As soon as i can see one i will let you guys know what i have found out.

Cheers

I called into my local nissan dealer today but there were still no late model d22s with snorkels there.
I asked the spare parts guy about the 2 different snorkels.
They only have them listed as different part numbers for each model. (hole kits)
They have not got any individual part numbers for parts of the snorkle.

I have heard that the genuine ones are made by Airtec anyway so i thought i would contact them.

Does anybody know where the Airtec snorkels are made & Airtec (the company) contact details.

Tried Googling them but got nothing about specific company details

Cheers Guys

Hi All,

I've been looking at this for sometime now... I have fitted an ARB compressor in the passenger side near the fire wall, so mounting a second battery there is now not available.

BTW, Piranha offroad products are another company that manufactures a battery tray that fits there - it also relocates the fuel filter to allow enough room for an 8 inch battery.Navara Battery Tray BTNNDR (Petrol) - Battery Trays - Default Store View

By looking at the 3ltr and 2.5ltr version snorkels, they do seem to only by-pass the pre-cleaner - something of which Safari Snorkels already does with their 3ltr version. I'm told the Nissan 'genuine' snorkel is actually made by Airtek, that of which is distributed by TJM in Australia. Nissan are useless at assisting with these sorts of questions - they just want to sell you the part as listed in their books for your model vehicle...
I guess if Safari Snorkels seem to think bypassing (therefore removing) the Precleaner is okay, then I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work to fit the 2.5ltr snorkel onto a 3ltr, therefore freeing up acres of space under the bonnet for other accessories.

If anyone can confirm (or deny) the fitting difference between the two models (apart from the precleaner obviously), please do let us all know!

(It saves you about $50 - $150 buying the Nissan branded one over a Safari or Airtek brand)

Cheers.

Hi
There is a different between the 06 to the 08 model. I have a 08 model and the dealer ordered the 06 and it had to go back to TJM.

Snorkles for NEW D22

Good ay to all,
For anyone interested....I had a Genuine Nissan Snorkel ( Airtec ) fitted to my 2009 D22 ----YES with the TTWWIINN batteries....on Friday last. The part # is N*A6575VM000AU - supply quoted at $394 - fitting by TJM Penrith NSW was $225. Hopefully this will help people with the NEW D22 with the TTWWIINN batteries.

Hi
There is a different between the 06 to the 08 model. I have a 08 model and the dealer ordered the 06 and it had to go back to TJM.

That would be because you're 08 model (a 2.5L) does not have the pre cleaner filter, whereas the pre 06 (ZD30 diesels) DOES have a pre cleaner - that is where the snorkel connects.

Apart from the connection to a per cleaner (which I am assuming was your problem and why the 06 model snorkel had to go back), was there any other problems? The reason I ask is I want to do the reverse - fit a new (late) model snorkel made for the 2.5L to a 3.0L navara so I can get rid of the pre filter cleaner, hence giving my ZD30 the extra space down front to fit an auxiliary battery.

That would be because you're 08 model (a 2.5L) does not have the pre cleaner filter, whereas the pre 06 (ZD30 diesels) DOES have a pre cleaner - that is where the snorkel connects.

Apart from the connection to a per cleaner (which I am assuming was your problem and why the 06 model snorkel had to go back), was there any other problems? The reason I ask is I want to do the reverse - fit a new (late) model snorkel made for the 2.5L to a 3.0L navara so I can get rid of the pre filter cleaner, hence giving my ZD30 the extra space down front to fit an auxiliary battery.

I am also looking at this option for my 2006 D22, any further info as you get it would be much appreciated

Hi Guys

Finally called up tjm the other day about the different pipe needed between the 2 models.
He wasn't even sure if airtec would supply just the one pipe as a seperate item.
Nobody has asked for just one piece of the snorkel before.
There listing is the same as the nissan dealers, one part - one part number.
He said he would find out for me but at this stage I havent heard anything back yet.

If I find any info out I will let you know.

Cheers

Cheers,

Just a bit of food for thought, doing some research on the net tonight has got me wondering of the different placement of what i think is the airflow sensor around the aircleaner. Both models look like they have a different position for this sensor either side of the aircleaner. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Cheers,

Just a bit of food for thought, doing some research on the net tonight has got me wondering of the different placement of what i think is the airflow sensor around the aircleaner. Both models look like they have a different position for this sensor either side of the aircleaner. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Yes you are right Black nav. I actually mentioned that in my opening post.
My thoughts on that are that it is only the older molder D22 that people want to change so if the piping does fit it should only be a slight mod to put the air sensor in the new pipe in the same location as the old pipe.

I havent actually had a good look at the air sensor its self but im guessing that you could tap the same thread in the plastic pipe or use a nut on the inside of the air sensor.

If the nut hapen to come of it would be stopped by the air cleaner anyway.

Or another way is to take the new pipe to a plastic welder and get him to weld a plastic nut, the same thread as the air sensor on top of the pipe.

I dont know much about the air sensor but perhaps the air flow could be to strong (turbulent if you like) over the older model air sensor without the pre cleaner.
Im guessing the new model air sensor is on the other side of the air box for a reason.

You thoughts guys

Cheers

Yes you are right Black nav. I actually mentioned that in my opening post.
My thoughts on that are that it is only the older molder D22 that people want to change so if the piping does fit it should only be a slight mod to put the air sensor in the new pipe in the same location as the old pipe.

I havent actually had a good look at the air sensor its self but im guessing that you could tap the same thread in the plastic pipe or use a nut on the inside of the air sensor.

If the nut hapen to come of it would be stopped by the air cleaner anyway.

Or another way is to take the new pipe to a plastic welder and get him to weld a plastic nut, the same thread as the air sensor on top of the pipe.

I dont know much about the air sensor but perhaps the air flow could be to strong (turbulent if you like) over the older model air sensor without the pre cleaner.
Im guessing the new model air sensor is on the other side of the air box for a reason.

You thoughts guys

Cheers
You could either do that or source a complete 2009 d22 intake from the turbo back and swap them over, only prob i can see with this is that the sensor in the 2009 model looks like its a different one to what is in the earlier 3.0

hey been talkin to my local tjm store and they reckon that both safari and airtec snorkels wont fit 2009 onwards d22 with the standard second battery
has anyone fiited either one of these to the 2009 onwards model d22 cause i NEED a snorkel on my new d22

Navaraowner.........Go to Nissan and get a Genuine ( Airtec !!! ) snorkel and get them or some one to fit it for you. Mine was done by TJM Penrith NSW. ( $390 odd supply and $250 to fit) ............................sounds great with 3" mandrel bent + 3" dump pipe and DP chip set on "6".

Latest posts

Back