#Melb# get together Australia day weekend

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Just floating the idea of a get together for anyone interested in spending a whole day touring about Wombat forest on Sat 23 Jan with as many of the Vic mob getting together for the day to meet one another. Share ideas and put into action some of what we know. Possibly put together an hour or so of "controlled" recovery techniques? Put into practice some driving techniques. Poke and prod each others vehicles in the flesh to see what works and what doesn't. Explore some old gold mines and historic relics - have been researching a bit about the history.
Most of all just get out there and have a fun day. There are some tough tracks out there but all of them have some chicken runs or an alternative between point A and B so all types of vehicle catered for. Bring the kids and the other half.
At the end of the day we can head back for a BBQ and a few beers - if enough interest I'll put on a spit and a keg- I'm 20mins from the edge of the forest (Sunbury). Anybody wanting to crash is more than welcome.
Anybody interested let me know. Afterall thats what I'll be doing that weekend

I'd keep it relatively sedate - alot of ground to cover and its not much fun spending hours trying to get several vehicles through one section. Having said that though all tracks tend to link up so the adventurous can have a crack while others can take a detour around to the other side. It should be dry by that time unless we get a deluge a day or 2 before hand so the more extreme bogholes wont be brimming.
Spent all day just gooooogling around for mining and logging history, flora and fauna facts plus looking for all the interesting bits.
I really do like this area because it is so close to home, holds alot of historical significance, has some challenging 4x4 tracks, a diversity of flora and fauna and you can spend a whole day out there and not see a soul. Have lived here for 5 years and I can see it from my rooftop but have only just discovered it.
Look forward to sharing what we have discovered and learnt alreadywith others and learning much more about it.

Last edited:
Could look at Bunyip or Thompson on either of those days Ian.
Ange is working those days but I could do a drop off and meet you along the way out there. Would be an early start - pass your place by 7:00 am

Anyone else from Vic keen on Wombat on the Sat though?
So far
Us and Solid at this point

This weekend.

Any other interest aside from the above 2 apologies?
Family day / meet and greet with a BBQ and cool drink afterwards?

Meet point 09:30
Cnr Coffeys rd and Bachus Marsh Gisborne rd Melways 60 a9

Attachments

• genmap.cgi.jpg
    genmap.cgi.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 44
Scrap the Pub idea.
Pack a few sangas in the esky and a camp chair or similar and we will pull up at one of many locations. I'll bring the billy, tea and coffee for morning and afternoon smoko.

My Neighbour Brendan is 95% in. He has a current model patrol and knows the area pretty well too.
So that makes
Ange, Self , 2x dogs - Navara
Solid - Navara
His mate - Troll
+ Brendan - Troll
Anyone else?

Fun day all in all.
Met up with Solid and his mate as planned and trotted off into the scrub. Showed the fellas a few tracks that I know but within the hour we were making a deviation to Woodend for adjustments. An early lunch in Woodend and back into it. Solid and his mate weren't so keen on going over Daylesford way as they had been there and done that and so it was just a case of exploring the southern end. Some tracks I knew others were new to me but we managed to find mud and one track in particular (saltwater) that would prove very interesting after some spring rain or around October. Be buggered if I'm going anywhere near it during the middle of winter. Showed them some of the car swallowing bogholes at the point nearest to Melbourne at the end of the day which at the time were bordering on low tide but it doesn't take much imagination to know what they are like over winter.
Anyhow some pics

10 mins from departure point
Jan2010098Standarde-mailview.jpg

Typical lower Wombat track
Jan2010169Standarde-mailview.jpg

Jan2010116Standarde-mailview.jpg

Stuck - Lets see ya try it in August!
Jan2010181Standarde-mailview.jpg

Great pics, look like you had a ball.

Bet Stef tries that in August when the diff is sorted :p

I do like the way you're patiently standing there (with a smile on your face) waiting for a D40 to pull you out :eviltongue:

Actually my d22 pulled him out - D40's are too scared to tread there :big_smile:

Obviously you were the smart one and drove around the high side so you didn't get bogged in the first place. Are you sure you don't drive a D40 :aetsch:

Latest posts

Back