2.5 auto's - do they need transmission cooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
Am thinking of getting a 2.5 auto D40 - and will use it to tow 2.7t van .... do they need a transmission cooler ?

They have a transmission cooler already. Drive it reasonably (ie don't try to push over 100km up a hill on a hot day) and it'll behave well.

There are members here that pull the max 3tonne with theirs and have no difficulty.

They're not the small pieces of junk you can pick up for $99 in Supercheap.

The cooler fits just between the chassis rails, and extends from the bottom of the radiator core up to the beam that runs across the middle of the radiator.

It's even larger than the aftermarket one I had fitted to my Commodore.

Although I know it's not law the Subaru dealer in Melbourne tried to convince me that when I was buying my Forrestor in 05 trannie coolers had to go on any vehicle that had a towbar and that not only wouldn't Vic Roads register the car without it the insurance company wouldn't insure it. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the $700 he wanted to charge me for it.

On a smaller car like the Forrestor it wasn't needed, I used to tow up too 2 tonne on the back of that and provided I didn't want to drive at 120 everywhere it wasn't an issue. That being said I wouldn't have brought the Nav and expected to tow 3 tonnes without it being fitted, but then I also don't expect to tow 3 Tonnes very often.

Although I know it's not law the Subaru dealer in Melbourne tried to convince me that when I was buying my Forrestor in 05 trannie coolers had to go on any vehicle that had a towbar and that not only wouldn't Vic Roads register the car without it the insurance company wouldn't insure it. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the $700 he wanted to charge me for it.

What a load of crap if i ever heard it.

Must be something about Subaru dealers. The one here in Newcastle tried to flog a brand new Outback to me on the basis that the thing could pull 2500Kg effortlessly.

What a load of crap if i ever heard it.

The most annoying thing was that the dealer didn't try and convince me of this crap until 2 weeks after I signed the deal, then tried to tell me that because it was law I was in breach of contract. It's unbelievable the crap some of these sales men try to push on people and really makes you wonder just how many people do believe their crap.

I think there is something about Subi dealers that makes them all stupid as well. I know all dealers over price stuff but my local dealer wanted to charge me $250 for a switch that goes in the panel next to the fog light switch, no idea if he really expected me to buy it at the price but he didn't stop him telling me that was the price. A trip to Autobahn and $5 later my switch might not have matched the panel but it worked the same.

The D40 actually has to 2 trans coolers on it. The large one already mentioned above and also the bottom of the radiator has a cooler built into it as well.

Latest posts

Back