32" front - 33" rear

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
As the title says, i was looking at getting 32" front and 33' rear, other then the implications in rotations is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?? it would save tires rubbing (if you didn't want to tub the guards) provided they are both a 75b profile i don't see a problem.
Thoughts

I can't see any dramas. Why hasn't this being done before? But seriously don't do it if you ever want to 4wd.

I personally don't see why you would bother. Better off just goin 32s... What happens if u get a flat and don't have the right spare ? And all your gaining is half an inch in clearance. And your car won't sit level.

Is there really that much difference?? i mean the profile is very similar, not exact but very close its only really the width that really makes the difference, isn't it?? i mean i maybe wrong (more often then not) but a 33" is close to a 285 wide and a 32" is close to a 265 wide, but if the profile is still 75 then i would`nt suspect there would be much issue. food for thought anyways.
do understand that they are not exact but were talking mm here i wouldn't have thought a huge difference that would blow the drive line.
The only reason i bought it up is iv read so many posts her about tubbing this and cutting that with the front guard but never really the rear, so logically i though why not run a tyre that fits (give or take) in the front, with a bigger tyre in the rear where most your power and traction is taken from, majority of the time that is.
Be interested in hearing others thoughts on the matter. i personally i don't know if ill do it as the previously mentioned posts bought up with flats and rotation issues.

Dude 33" refers to the overall diameter. And profile, eg 75 is a percentage. So 75% of the width = the profile height.

the rolling diameter of the tryes should be the same in any 4wd
something will break/wear quickly i would think

The difference is huge for a driveline.

As mentioned the 32-33 is the diameter, not width, the small percentages would make it undeliverable offroad, hard to turn lurching etc.

First issue, wind up, making it stuck in 4wd most of the time

Then you'd blow a diff or transfer case

Driving in 2wd wouldn't be too bad.

Back to your idea, different widths, even mixing widths and ratios to get narrow front and wider rear, you'd never get it just right so the issues above would still occur.

numerous problems. 1 i believe it is illegal (at least it used to be), 2 especially for driving in sand it would make the car very unstable as your rear tyres wouldnt sit in the tracks made by the front, causing that same instability that ppl hate in the troopies. and you'd have to carry 2 spares. plus if you wanted to put up with all that then you'll end up with the problem that busiboy mentioned ^^

Also, when it gets slippery front and back axles would be 'fighting' each other for traction. One has to be slipping all the time.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

WTF ! seriously. New to 4wd's eh.

Hey fellas relax, just an idea i had, FYI i grew up on farms and with 4x4`s.
Glad to have hit a nerve on a few of you though, or should i say don't take life so serious.
I would have thought that if a mix of 32" and 33' were so bad what about 285`s Vs 33" rear? its a much closer mix.

But i will thank you all for the advice i didn't realise the complexities that came with such a minor modification. ill be sure to take it into consideration.

But i will thank you all for the advice i didn't realise the complexities that came with such a minor modification. ill be sure to take it into consideration.

I'd avoid mixing brands of tyres the same size personally.

The only car you'd get away with it is one with a centre diff that can be unlocked, then only lock it in mud.

I'd avoid mixing brands of tyres the same size personally.

The only car you'd get away with it is one with a centre diff that can be unlocked, then only lock it in mud.

Think ill stick to one brand and one size, was an interesting thought though and was happy to have stirred the pot a little.
Cheers for the input

I would have thought that if a mix of 32" and 33' were so bad what about 285`s Vs 33" rear? its a much closer mix.

285 what?? because a 285/75/16 IS a 33" tyre

and like someone else pointed out earlier the profile number on your tyre eg, 75 is a percentage of the width of the tyre eg, 285

So for a tyre that is a 285/75/16 it would be 285 = width, 75 = percentage of said width, 16 = obviously the rims radius or if you prefer the size of the rim in inches.

Last edited:
Back