do nissan d40 hard covers fit rx models???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickjm

Reaction score
hey just purchased an rx navara and began looking for a genuine navara hard top or tonneau when i found out that the rx models are suppose to have a different tub. After looking on nissans site and making numerous calls i am still unsure whether the hard covers would fit an rx or not. the dimensions on the site suggest the rx model has a slightly smaller tub so in this case i would think they would. Just after any advice you may have from experience before i take the plunge and buy one. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

Mick

I'm 99% sure it will fit. The RX and ST-X tubs differ only by a few millimetres. There are numerous options you can go with, but probably the most economical option would be an aftermarket one. From memory I think the genuine Nissan lid i got put on mine from new was about $1800-2000. A good mate of mine actually made one for his own ute (hilux) made out of some sheet alloy, some reinforcing alloy tubing, locking mechanism and some custom hinges, then got it sprayed same colour as the vehicle, and ran some rubber seals around it to waterproof. Looked and acted just like a bought one.
I am currently toying with the idea of removing the two key locks on the hard lid, and fabricating a locking mechanism coupled with a central locking motor, activated by the vehicle remote central locking.

Assuming you have a Thailand built RX then the ST-X ones will not fit (90mm difference I think) and last I heard there is no after market one for the RX. (That may have changed)

There is a solution though. Get the hard lid for the new ST model (Nissan only just got them two weeks ago so I doubt there would be an after market one yet but you can check) and the chrome roll bar off an STX (theres a bazillion on Fleabay) and you are in business. I know a dealer who just did one and it fits no problems. Most dealers would have no idea about this though.

Someone mentioned EGR above. They do make the Nissan ones by the way so maybe they have achequer plate one for the ST/RX as well.

but doesnt the cargo bar thingy at the front of the tub get in the way, or dont all RX models have that? I was thinking of removing the cargo barrier thingy, but its all seems like too much hassle (removal, cleanup & painting), easier to get an stx tub I think...

but doesnt the cargo bar thingy at the front of the tub get in the way, or dont all RX models have that? I was thinking of removing the cargo barrier thingy, but its all seems like too much hassle (removal, cleanup & painting), easier to get an stx tub I think...

On the Thailand built ones (at least the current ones) you can unbolt the barrier at the front of the tub. On the early ones (Spain built) I think you need to cut it off. As I said above that is for the Thailand built cars as the ST is also Thailand built. The early RX (Sain built) is probably (not sure) the same size tub as an STX so ST hard lid won't do the job.

thanks all for your help.... I rang countless car yards and nissan directly and checked out the specs on their site. After all the research i figured it would be a pretty close fit. So i found a second hand one on ebay that was a different colour but the right price. so i went up to suss it out. My navara is a thai built 09 rx. The Navara the tub and hard cover i checked out was from an 07 stx. we removed the lid from the existing tub and placed it on mine for a trial fit and found it fit perfectly. So as for the 90mm difference, I dunno where ya got that from. All the research i done said the tubs were around 5 or so mm diff in length. The rx being the shorter. As for buying an stx tub, i'd advise ya to keep the rx tub. My rx existing bar, effortlessly unscrewed. It was primed underneath but not coloured. I was thinking of just colouring over the unpainted area and then the angle for the hard cover just covers that area anyways. I personally do not like checker plating at all so opted for the genuine hard cover. I found a few other types but preferred the genuine. Thank you very much for all the help and advice you have offered. I appreciate it all

Latest posts

Back