Plasti-dipping grill

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael10

Reaction score
Hi all
Got a can of plastidip and looking to do my grill black, just wondering if anyone has done it And whether I have to sand back the chrome or if it goes straight on ?
Cheers

Nah the great thing about Plasti-dip is you spray it on without any prepping except making sure the surface to be coated is clean and then later down the track if you get sick of the colour you can just peel it off leaving the original colour/surface.

I've been thinking of doing the same, so would love to see some pics if you can manage.

By the way, I have found that if you want to paint plastic chrome parts (eg the grill) using normal spray paint (not Plasti Dip) then normal flexible plastic primer (the stuff you'd use before painting a bumper) works perfectly.

I was lucky enough to have a neighbour that had a D-40 some time back and he had pranged it , the insurance for some reason replaced the grille , which had not been touched , the other weekend he was about to put it out for hard rubbish , ( hes on sold the D-40 ) so i snared it , and am having a mate who owns a panel shop paint it as we speak , ill post a pic when i get it back , hes doing a sports bar too , i snared off eBay , which will go with the powder coated black wheels , should look ok with a white truck and all black wheels / sports bar and grille

Ok sweet ill try and get a pic of it up when its done :)
Yeah i sent the sports bar away to get powdercoated satin black last week, will probably pick up some sunraysias this weekend I much prefer the all black look over the chrome.

This was the first thing done on my new D40! Actually I lied, Side steps were off first...

This was done using the primer and paint method... Didnt know Plastidip existed :S
But hasn't chipped or anything in the last 2 weeks it's been on and cost about $50 all up..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 628
That grill looks the goods! I'm heading for the black and red theme. Think I'll do this next.

Did mine in plasti-dip. I pulled it all apart though and left the mesh the original plastic.
I also carefully masked the lower grill opening and did over the grey part.
I also pulled apart the side steps and did the tubes, AND pulled apart the mirrors and did the chrome too. Two months and the "grey" bits Nissan painted were already looking a bit tatty....
Oh, also did the rear bumper!
It's epic stuff, but if you're not covering the entire part, care needs to be taken when masking, because the dip builds up over the mask as well, and the mask isn't easily peeled like it is with normal paint..... there's tutorials on line, but in essence, it's VERY easy to use. It'll stick to damn near anything with just a wipe over of prepsol.

Got mine back today , the chrome section was done in satin black , while the rest remains matt black , its a nice contrast

Ya had me going there , spilled my bourbon n all , mines a 12/2012 build and i had to go and look at my grille , and its the same as the one ive just got painted , thought ohh no its the wrong grille lol

Im liking the look of the black grille might have to join the club and do mine, only i wont do the logo, just leave it chrome i reckon.

Im liking the look of the black grille might have to join the club and do mine, only i wont do the logo, just leave it chrome i reckon.

I have the choice , i can use the chrome one off my original grille , thats why i done this one black , but iam leaning your way too

Latest posts

Back