What is a dump pipe?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
What is a dump pipe and what does it do?
What are the benefits or pitfalls of having it changed from standard?

While I could just say it's a utility that allows the driver to avoid toilet stops on long haul trips, I'd have to correct myself and tell you that it's the pipe that comes off the exhaust side of the turbo after the exhaust gas has finished powering the turbocharger - it's the waste gas that's heading out to the muffler.

The dump pipe is restrictive to allow higher back pressure. Some people increase the size of theirs so that the exhaust gas flows better and the turbo becomes more responsive.

I sent eng-tek an email on monday to see if they have a dump pipe to suit my motor/turbo,( I think thai build are different) No response! looks like I'll have to make my own, prefer to just buy one though.

the dump pipe is the section of pipe that comes off the back of the turbo and joins the rest of the system...

its usually a short 90 degree bend piece that has a flat plate on one end that bolts to the turbo and a normal end to bolt up to the rest of the exhaust system.

its this section of pipe that on the stock navara's is highly restrictive as the angle of flow is very abrupt since the flow pretty much slams straight into the side of the dump pipe and then continues down into the exhaust system. also the dump pipe on navara's is built into the catalytic converter so you have a highly restrictive exhaust joint being further restricted by a big catalytic converter.

Ok, I've been meaning to do this for a while so hopefully it's helpful. Here are pics of the old and new dump pipes on my truck. The new dump pipe was supplied by Beaudesert Exhaust as part of a 2 3/4" upgrade.

Be aware that mine is an 08 2.5l CRD model.

Old:

IMG_4476Medium.jpg

IMG_4479Medium.jpg

IMG_4480Medium.jpg

IMG_4477Medium.jpg

On the old one the stock cat bolted directly to the bottom of the dump pipe, the filter material was literally at the flange, much too close IMO. The new one has a length of exhaust before it gets to the cat. You can see the restriction in the dump pipe pretty easily comparing the two.

Ha stubby

I can see these pics but on some other postings i cant see there pics either.

Dont know what causes us not to see them.

This is the zd30 standard & beaudesert 2 3/4" dump pipes

Dump Pipe Original.jpg

11 nav dump pipe.jpg

Back