Legal Rd or not?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamkiwi

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I stumbled across an unlocked gated fire track. The sign said "no dogs" and "unmade road ahead".
On google maps it is called a road.
I went in and came across another unlocked gate on each side of a farm track used to herd cattle. There was a farmer coming so I waited and asked if it was genuinely a legal road. He said it no longer is so I turned around and left.
I am not convinced he was telling the truth but have no idea who to contact to find out as I am always up for some exploration.
The road also formed part of the Heyson Trail near Mt Crawfor Forest.
Who would be able to tell me whether this is a legal road or not?

Yeah just was wondering as its not technically part of the forest and mindful the council will be give me he run around.
Will try tho as Im curious

The farmer would have been a ''LOT " more vocal if it was private property , the fact he just advised you it wasn't a road means he just don't want you there

There are alot of sections of that hiking trail which cross privite property, but the owners let the hikers through. Id call in the the forestry dept on Mt Crawford rd and quizz them, while your there ask about any other tracks in the area.
Other spots are Saunders Gorge, or a trip to Loveday in the riverland,which is a great place and they have campgrounds.
Cheers Adam

Thanks for the replies guys. I will provide an update once I get an answer.
Hopefully it is a road as I suspect but Id also rather not piss a farmer off for no real reason other than my sense of curiosity and adventure.

Mates place on the coorong in SA has a fire track through it, The awkward part is that parts of it become impassable in winter, there is gates to get out into paddocks and go around but you then are on private property without permission

They're called "road reserves". They were tracts of land that the Government didn't lease, or sell during early settlement. The surveyor general had to map out where he thought there would be a need for roads in the future & he had several teams of surveyors out there mapping them out. Many were used & actually became roads, but many more have yet to be used. The State Government still own them & there is a public right of way through them, but some farmers like to think they're private property. They even fence them off. Hikers have all kinds of maps detailing where they are in the hills & country SA. I live at TTG & have spent many a long day trekking up through & around Mt Crawford! :=)

Latest posts

Back