Assistance purchasing my first Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psy01

Reaction score
Gday guys,

So its time for me to make my first Navara purchase, and also my first Diesel purchase as well. Have been reading the forum non-stop since I found it a couple of weeks ago, and I must say, some of the info throughout the site has been invaluable.

A new construction job has made the decision even easier, after already loving the look of the beasts. With this said though I will not be towing, and only making use of the tray (not heavy). 4X4ing has never been an interest of mine having never owned one, so this will also be rare to nil for me.

Currently I have fell in-love with a 2006 D40 ST-X. It is very clean inside and out, Auto 2.5L TD, 146000km on the clock, and $23,000 (at the moment anyway) from a private seller. Service history is immaculate and things have consistently been attended to, 4 brand new all terrain tires have been fitted to the stock wheels.

Based on that very brief spiel, what do you guys think? Price is ONO.

I guess I'm also after information as to what to look out for when looking at D40s. At what stage would you guys turn away re: high km's? I wouldn't know what is classified as "too high" with any of these motors.

After reading the forum a few things did make me concerned with regards to; "limp mode" , fuel usage being totally thrown out for some owners , and the timing chain faults from time to time. Perhaps someone can shed some light on those points that are slowing my progress of actually securing a purchase.

I'm pretty open minded and open to suggestions! But this certain one fits my needs, has clearly been well maintained, and most importantly my budget.

Appreciate all of your responses in advance!

Cheers

Thats a hard question Psy01
autos seem to be the pick in the 2.5,s as manuals have clutch issues , and limp mode seems to be more or less restricted to the blokes that have put chips on etc , go with your gut , and have it professionally checked and sounds like your on a winner , but as always be ruthless with the price , and remember even first love , your in the winning chair , as he wants to sell it

If the service history is as good as you say we'll that side of its a winner, have a good look underneath the ute, its harder to hide and fix any damage under there if any

Thanks both for the tips!

I will be getting it checked out professionally if I do go ahead with the buy - for the sake of a couple hundred dollars I think its good insurance!

Regarding the km's on the engine then, what would be classified as "high" on one of these? 140k no dramas?

If it's your first diesel then there are a couple of things for you to know.

Diesels don't rev. Peak torque in the 2.5L engine is developed at 2,000rpm - and that's high in diesels (counting trucks). Turbos need a little cool-down after running or the last couple of km taken gently - don't shut down the engine quickly after working turbo hard.

That model Navara was known for timing chains (on occasion - less common than we might think) and rear axles (there was a recall for them). At 140,000km it might be wanting a chain - get a mechanic to listen to the housing, he should be able to tell you if there's something not quite right. I believe that model had issues with the automatic tensioner sticking causing premature chain wear - it might never happen if it's been maintained well.

Good luck with your purchase!

If it's your first diesel then there are a couple of things for you to know.

Diesels don't rev. Peak torque in the 2.5L engine is developed at 2,000rpm - and that's high in diesels (counting trucks). Turbos need a little cool-down after running or the last couple of km taken gently - don't shut down the engine quickly after working turbo hard.

That model Navara was known for timing chains (on occasion - less common than we might think) and rear axles (there was a recall for them). At 140,000km it might be wanting a chain - get a mechanic to listen to the housing, he should be able to tell you if there's something not quite right. I believe that model had issues with the automatic tensioner sticking causing premature chain wear - it might never happen if it's been maintained well.

Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks for the help!

Will be asking the guy who looks over it to pay attention to the housing with regards to the chain then. Hopefully he gives it all the green light! Can't wait, and hopefully the report comes back as good as the service record has been.

waste of money buying a 4x4 if your not into it IMO as they also come in 2wd, might be handy on a muddy building site though to have it there.

with that many KM I wouldn't buy it not unless its had its timing chain recently replaced, people who own D40's will try to sweep this issue under the rug but its been happening to more people than it should have lately. You might never have issues with it or you might have to replace it as soon as you get it, kind of like how a turbo in seemingly good working order can just let go.

Latest posts

Back