Transfer case oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldboy

Reaction score
I have a D21 1989 4x4 with 2.7 ltr non turbo Diesel 5 speed gearbox out of a 1997 D21. Can someone tell me what grade of oil and how much do I use for the Gearbox and what grade of oil do I use and how much for the Transfer case?

I used automatic transmision oil for the transfer case, not sure on the gearbox

You could check with "DION" he seems to be the D21 go to man and seems to know the gearbox's quite well.

Gearbox: 4.9L of API-GL4

Transfer case: 2.2L of ATF or API-GL4

As for the meaning of API-GL4 - it's not printed on any bottles on the shelf that I've ever found, so I've decided it means Buy Whatever Says Gear Oil On The Front and Looks Good.

you need to make sure its GL4 compatible at the very least. straight GL5 eats the syncro and any other brass parts of the gearbox.
straight GL4 is hard to find but most manufactures do a GL4/GL5. some find a straight GL4 works better.

Thanks everyone for your replies I visited my local mechanic he said use 80W 90 for the gearbox and to use 20W 50 for the transfer case. What are your thoughts on this
Thanks oldboy

Last edited by a moderator:
Castrol VMX80 is a good gl4 g'box oil. its pretty inexpensive too. Can get it anywhere. I add nulon g70 to it for a bit of extra peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back