What a stupid design - rear mud flaps on a D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBOD

Reaction score
While working under the truck at the weekend I noticed what I can only describe as a design flaw in the rear mud flaps on the D40. As you can see from the below picture the shape of the top of the flap is perfectly shaped to act as a scoop for any mud and shite flying off the back wheels:

20130713_121527.jpg

When I poked around further I found this little scoop was full up with said mud and shite and upon removal of the mud flap found a geological records of just about every trip I'd been on with the truck:

20130713_121002.jpg

And best of all this pocket of mud is then trapped sitting against the metalwork of the bottom of the wheel arch presumably the ensure maximum opportunity for it to rot through the bodywork.

Utter crap design and I have now removed the mud flaps completely I've no doubt this is illegal in NSW (most things they can't tax they ban) but I'll take my chance rather than have the rust trap.

What's wrong with washing them out whenever you know there is mud up there?

Not that I ever live by such an idea and my utes forever on dirt roads and only gets washed once a year.

Krafty, firstly that would require washing the truck which I rarely do but also the pockets don't drain out the bottom so the mud/particles just sit there and build up over time.

Still don't think it's worse than any other car, they all have nooks and cranny's that hold mud and shit if you look hard enough

I agree it is a stupid design, BUT as i know they collect crap i just make sure i hose all the trapped gunk out after each muddy trip.
removing them i think is a problem due to the amount of stone chips you will get on the tray and all those chips will rust and stand out.
Some guys on here have retro fitted a more traditional style mud flap for that reason.
Most of those guys own d22 due to there standard sets tearing off, have a look at D22's when you are driving around and i bet every second one has torn mud flaps or they are missing all together.

the pockets don't drain out the bottom so the mud/particles just sit there and build up over time.

They should have a big slot in the bottom, well atleast both my thai and spanish ST's did, mind you it didnt stop the mud from building up

Well yeah but lets face it what's the point of washing something that just keeps getting dirty.

I give mine a quick wash every couple of weeks, specially if I,m going hunting, that way no one can blame me for weed spread

Latest posts

Back