Carpeting underside of canopy roof

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch92

Reaction score
G'day

Have put a steel frame canvas canopy on my ute. As it is full canvas over roof I put some 6mm marine ply between the canvas and steel frame.

I then thought to cover the difference in colour I might get some marine carpet to cut and glue to the timber inside the canopy, I.e the underside.

What do people recon? I know it's not needed, but also though what the hell.
Also, would it make it cooler/hotter??

Cheers

Sounds like you love DIY.
I can't imagine it changing how hot or cold it is in there. Although sleeping in there with marine ply ceiling would form condensation, the carpet would trap it and dry out during the day.
Would look nice too.
A mate had the canvas and used cool room material to insulate for heat.

Sounds like you love DIY.
I can't imagine it changing how hot or cold it is in there. Although sleeping in there with marine ply ceiling would form condensation, the carpet would trap it and dry out during the day.
Would look nice too.
A mate had the canvas and used cool room material to insulate for heat.

My girlfriend is always up me saying that I'm always looking for something else to do haha

That's what I was thinking, catch the condensation etc., plus it would be soft when I sit up too quickly and smack my head.

I would suggest covering it in carpet won't have any detrimental effect but I also doubt it would make any real significant change to the condensation, the temperature or the head soreness when one or two bodies are sleeping in there.

We used to have a lined roof in our Hiace van and after a night sleeping it did catch condensation but the carpet also held condensation for longer than the bare tin roof did before the the carpet was there.

You could easily end up with a musty smell from carpet, even marine carpet because of the dampness where as you probably wont get that with bare timber or paint but the other option is to work on air flow and always ensure even on the coldest nights that you have a path for your breath to escape , the more flow through of air the less moisture and the less chance condensation will be an issue.

I have a steel canopy with flat sheet Colorbond roof and canvas sides.
I used a yoga mat (blue, about 20mm thick) cut up and glued it up under the roof. Stops the noise from the sheet metal 'flapping' for lack of a better word.

As far as sleeping it will have at least one side open while sleeping so will be airflow.
The smell is something I had not considered, however being the roof I would not have thought it would be too bad?

Also noise I am thinking there won't be much so it won't stop much. Hmm dunno.

Have a look at older model Hiace/Econo type vans especially late 80's models and see that many of then develop rust at the bottom of the roof, alot of people think the rust comes from the outside but in many cases it comes from the inside. These types of vans were predominantly used for bread/food delivery in the 80's and the moisture from the warm food played havoc across the roof and down to where the roof was welded to the rest of the body.

Sleeping in a ute occasionally will not produce the same effect as daily food deliveries will but over time sleeping and just general weather conditions (including if the vehicle is parked under cover) will be similar. Condensation left unattended will eventually ruin even marine carpet but the stink will be there forever and the most likely time you'll smell it is when there is little breeze and you're laying there trying to get to sleep.

I would reckon that if you make anything easily removed so you can take it out, air it and dry it if necessary, because condensation can and will happen all year round, you wont ever have any issues with it. Make it permanent and you need to factor in condensation and dampness. Also don't forget you have probably created an area for dampness and condensation between the canvas roof and the ply.

Latest posts

Back