Few questions

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned

Reaction score
I have an 87 Dual cab and wanted to pick your brains. Firstly I was wondering if my model came with an LSD. Secondly It's a petorl Z24 engine which seems pretty thirsty. I have never played with carbies before but if there is a simple solution I would appreciate the help.

Can't help with the LSD question. Not to my knowledge is the best I can do.
As to being thirsty, yes they are. I used to get about 17l/100km typically with mine.
You could try a weber carby, which I tried but couldn't quite get it to idle. Blocked fuel channel I think, but engine died before I had another go at it.
If the engine is tired, consider replacing with something more modern rather than reconditioning it. WOuld probably be cheaper (if you can do the work yourself). There are several options. Do a search or PM if you think that's a serious option.

A few had LSDs but its very inconsistent. Do you have an orange label on the back of your diff?

G'day Ned, the z24 situation is a hard one. Unfortunately it has always been a thirsty engine and now its over 20yrs old its even worse. Its a good idea to keep it serviced regulary and if can make a suggestion, is that you see a good mechanic that is familiar with carbied engines and get her tuned as best as possible. It wont make a stand out difference but it helps.

If you find that the z24 is too tired, you could always do an engine swap, the KA24 is a fuel injected version of the z24 and Pinelli is a pro on that subject. Other than that a few of us are looking at the commodore v6 conversion but as far as I know, nobody has performed it yet.

Thats a bit of food for thought and I hope Ive helped
Thomo.

HI, welcome, and just thought I'd stick my head in and remind you that if you are considering tossing a fuel injected motor in the vehicle, you need to then have an array of extra gear, starting with an injector management system, a bunch of extra wiring, probably changes to the fuel system, exhaust location - it's not just a bolt-on job.

Watch out for little snags too, like radiator sizes and fans. It's happened before, where the newer motor required a slightly larger radiator and all sorts of fun ensued trying to get around that problem.

Good luck with it!

Thanks guys. I'm not too fussed about the fuel issue because it is just a weekend car to have fun in and occasioally load it up with rubbish. It always starts and has never broken down and I really give it heaps when we go off road! Apart from being slow up hills I have found it to be bullet proof.
I do need the LSD in the back for off roading. maybe I could fit a later diff that is Limited slip?
The other option is a Lokka for $700

If you find that the z24 is too tired, you could always do an engine swap, the KA24 is a fuel injected version of the z24 and Pinelli is a pro on that subject. Other than that a few of us are looking at the commodore v6 conversion but as far as I know, nobody has performed it yet.
Dunno about pro. If you'd seen my setup, on the gravel driveway with the coppers logs A-frame as an engine hoist, you'd be doubting my sanity. My wife certainly did :dong: I got there in the end.

Yeah, there's a few little things, but not too bad. I had just replaced my radiator anyway, so kept the new one and its fine. fuel's pretty simple. Wiring is probably the tricky one for most people.

Might be worthwhile noting that the D21 came out with the nissan V6 (VG30E) in the states right from the start, in '86. Wish they had here.

Latest posts

Back