Tray & Alloy Canopy - Vs - Tub & Fibreglass Canopy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lever

Reaction score
Working with a blank slate here, well nothing done to the back bit of dual cab as yet.
Looking at an ARB or Flexiglass canopy etc.,
or a alloy canopy with takeoff wind down legs sitting on a tray top.

Will be used for camping, fishing, shooting, and be able to leap tall buildings.
You know, the usual stuff.

Tried a Search but found no discussion comparing both of them.
You know, pros and cons.

If anyone has got any advice of which way to go i would be interested to hear.

I've only ever had a tub+canopy, so I can only speak for that.

Dust is a bastard of a problem, as is the occasional leak inside through the window seals or up and over the lip of the tub. It's secure-ish - you could just smash the glass ($900 per side, gee thanks mate) but tinted windows and what look and work as functioning locks does deter most people. On the plus side it's stylish, looks like part of the car and when you are looking at an idiot in the garbage tip who is deciding whether to charge you $17 (car) or $40 (ute), you get change from $20.

Wow in Canberra we go on weight not Ute or car,.

Anyway it really depends on what your looking for, looks vs needs vs budget. Its a ute so like Tony said dust is always going to be a problem, with the d40s tail gates leave plenty of space to suck in dust. I've spend many months trying to work out whats best for my needs and budget. As I use the Ute more as Ute I'm keeping the stock soft cover nice light wight and of cheap. In the tub tho I have removable poly boxes, super strong, dust and water proof so far and easy to move when not in use. Maybe get a pen and paper and plan out every thing you need. Draw different set ups just remember weight distribution is the key.

If i were to go again id do alloy tray/canopy even tho it might be more weight you have more accessable storage ability and also rigid frame. Also at the end of the day youll spend around the same amount on either way.

tray any day for me lower sides more internal room and a lot less area to scratch or dint over all more practical i reckon

I've got a fibreglass canopy and will be getting rid of it to buy an alloy tray and alloy lift off canopy, heaps more space and more versatile. Also dust and waterproof unlike the arb canopy.

Wow in Canberra we go on weight not Ute or car,.

Anyway it really depends on what your looking for, looks vs needs vs budget. Its a ute so like Tony said dust is always going to be a problem, with the d40s tail gates leave plenty of space to suck in dust. I've spend many months trying to work out whats best for my needs and budget. As I use the Ute more as Ute I'm keeping the stock soft cover nice light wight and of cheap. In the tub tho I have removable poly boxes, super strong, dust and water proof so far and easy to move when not in use. Maybe get a pen and paper and plan out every thing you need. Draw different set ups just remember weight distribution is the key.

LOL thats because in Canberra there's more crap , and its harder to get rid of !!!!

Working with a blank slate here, well nothing done to the back bit of dual cab as yet.
Looking at an ARB or Flexiglass canopy etc.,
or a alloy canopy with takeoff wind down legs sitting on a tray top.

Will be used for camping, fishing, shooting, and be able to leap tall buildings.
You know, the usual stuff.

Tried a Search but found no discussion comparing both of them.
You know, pros and cons.

If anyone has got any advice of which way to go i would be interested to hear.

Go a king cab , best of both worlds then , almost as much room as a tray but still stylish looks , seriously though , if not for having to cart work crap around i would have gone for a tray with canvas canopy , but i like the usability of the ute body , once you put a solid canopy on them , all you have is basically a bloody big station wagon

My two cents.
Alloy tray with lift off canopy.
I have ute body and ARB canopy at the moment but would change if had the chance to start from scratch. But it all comes down to what you want to use it for.

Thanks for your reply's fellas.

Tried to resuscitate my computer, but it died.
Smacked it around the screen, and threw it off the desk a few times.
But it still didn't work.

So i am using an old notebook that i resurrected, very slow, and hard to do a search on.

Will have to get mine fixed or replace, god this is going to cost me, isn’t it.

Will get some prices and get back to this topic, hopefully soon...

I started with a tub and canopy, then put alloy tray and flexiglass canopy on it, easier access all around the ute tray and easier to reach in to the middle or front of tray versus trying to reach over the high sides of a tub or climbing into the tub to get stuff from the front of the tub.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference. What is good for me is no good for someone else. There is no better way, just different. For myself it's tub and canopy, it's a King Cab so I can stretch out (sleep) in the back and with a false floor still have room for plastic boxes underneath. Along with an auxiliary bat. and few other bits and pieces. Fridge lives in the back of the cab along with clothing, cameras and more sensitive gear. Works well for me but maybe not much chop for others.

I have a tub & canopy, but if i were to do it all again, would go for the tray & removable steel canopy.
The large opening sides on the steel canopies allow better access for trade use, at the moment if ive gotta get to the stuff right at the front i have to crawl in there.

This is the way to go I reckon...never had the other but don't care cos I can fit so much in this thing even as a dual cab.

Attachments

• Nav's new wheels 5 14 005.jpg
    Nav's new wheels 5 14 005.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 273
canopy or not

I have a tub back and glass canopy which looks the best ,,,,,, but, alloy tray and alloy canopy is a more practical option, more room and about 100 kg lighter. Go the alloy. If you decide on a tub and fibreglass canopy you can buy mine ha ha

Canopy

Jackoff ute canopy guys.

go for the one with the flush mounted doors though.

That is flush with the outer skin...mine sit against the outer skin which I just realised could be prone to prying open if your keen enuff to get inside.

sorry for the delay in reply I don't get here much these days...usually only when something goes wrong

Attachments

• The NAVARA XMAS 2013 005.jpg
    The NAVARA XMAS 2013 005.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back