canning stock route

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phibza

Reaction score
hey, i am planning with a few others to do the canning stock route next year around late july early august. I will be taking my 08 kingcab and was wondering has anyone else done this trip with there navaras and how did they go? What types of things did you do to your nav's for this trip. My nav is stock at the moment so i will be needing to do a bit to it this year to have it ready for this trip and plenty more to come.

I haven't done the trip but I do remember about 3 weeks ago watching a Mr4X4 episode where he did the route and showed the stops and road conditions and stuff. Can't remember if he did it in the Nissan or if it was one of his earlier ones where Nissan weren't paying him but it might be worth checking out his website.

Yep caught part of that episode myself. He was in the Patrol, from memory the best advice was tyres as punctures are the norm not the exception.

Sorry I have no 1st hand experience though.

I did the CSR and Rudall River last year. You need upgraded springs and shocks, at least 50mm of lift, I carried 300l of diesel, and 85l water, and 2 spare tyres, sump guard, winch.

It's not difficult four wheel driving, you don't need low range, average speed is usually around 40kph, so it's more of a test of stamina more than anything else. The 1000 or so dunes aren't too bad, just a few big ones that are chopped up from idiots taking campers.

Problems I had included, one puncture, battery earth coming loose, A/C has no cabin filters, so we ate dust everyday, dust going straight through the air filter. Wore all the door hinges from the body twisting, gas struts on rear canopy door died, Completely stuffed all the rear bushes in rear suspension, wore out two rear shocks.
Not too bad for 2000ks of some of the worst corrrrrrugations you'll ever see.

thanks for the replies guys, 08KINGCAB that is one of my worries with this car is how much it flexs and all those corrugations are not going to do it anygood. Has your car really suffered for it now? Also wonder if it would be possible to fit filters for the cabin A/C, would be worth looking into. Shockers, suspension, bullbar and winch plus all the guards are on the list already so thats going to get done this year. How did u go about carrying the 300l of desiel, did this get you through with no fuel drops?

just a few big ones that are chopped up from idiots taking campers.

What kind of campers are we talking about here? Towed off-road fold-out campers, caravans, or mobile home bus kinda things?

Just a note on the A/C air filters - if you have a D40, it should have pollen filters installed from factory, and if not, it should get them at the 20,000km service. You should be able to ask your dealer (like I did) for them to be supplied before then.

thanks for the replies guys, 08KINGCAB that is one of my worries with this car is how much it flexs and all those corrugations are not going to do it anygood. Has your car really suffered for it now? Also wonder if it would be possible to fit filters for the cabin A/C, would be worth looking into. Shockers, suspension, bullbar and winch plus all the guards are on the list already so thats going to get done this year. How did u go about carrying the 300l of desiel, did this get you through with no fuel drops?

Any vehicle is going to get punished on the CSR, I think overall the Nav faired pretty well, the chassis didn't twist bend or brake, but the Kingcab doors did take some punishment from all that twisting, But having said that, I would go again tomorrow if I could. Just take your time and you'll be alright, I ran my tyres at 18 front 21 rear. I carried my fuel in a seperate tank inside the tray with a false floor, we did every side track, including Rudall River and Newman, I think we used around 500l to get to Halls Creek (approx 2200ks)I didn't trust the fuel dump, just bought it at Newman and Kunnawarratiji.

What kind of campers are we talking about here? Towed off-road fold-out campers, caravans, or mobile home bus kinda things?

Just a note on the A/C air filters - if you have a D40, it should have pollen filters installed from factory, and if not, it should get them at the 20,000km service. You should be able to ask your dealer (like I did) for them to be supplied before then.

The CSR is probably the most grueling road in Australia, it made the Gibb look like a 4 lane highway. The corrugations really have to be seen to be believed, some sections you can barely do 10kph, with out running of the road. On one particular day we drove 9 hours and only covered 120k's. You could possibly get an offroad van into Rudall River, but not the CSR, the first dune would stop you dead. Some of the dunes had what could only be classed as a runway for a run up, peolpe towing offroad campers had backed into the scrub to try and build up enough momenteun to get over the top, I'm guessing by the length of them they must have being doing 80+ks when they hit the dune. But if they don't make they spin their wheels digging great big ruts and holes up the face of the dune making it so much harder for the next person. There is probably 200 or so really steep, if you keep hitting them at 80k's something going to brake sooner than later.
I found the best speed was about 15-30ks with the right gear selection, I managed to get over nearlly all the dunes fisrt attempt, but even still I compeltly shagged out the rear suspension.
Just remeber you have more than 1000 dunes to climb, gibbers, sharp rocks , corrugations, and possibly mud to negotiate, and takes around 14 days to complete, it's not for the faint hearted

No A/C filters on Thai built D40's. Infact there isn't even a hole to put them in. Completely different A/C heater box from what I can tell in the photo's I have seen.
Also completely different engine air cleaner assembly too!

That's a bugger ... I wonder if something can't be rigged up to overcome that shortfall, like using a paper filter over the cabin air intake, which has to exist somewhere?

Anything's got to be better than wheezing through the desert.

i am really looking forward to this challenge!

(That's a bugger ... I wonder if something can't be rigged up to overcome that shortfall, like using a paper filter over the cabin air intake, which has to exist somewhere?

Anything's got to be better than wheezing through the desert. )

I agreee surely there would be something to can be made up to stop all that dust and sand getting into the cab. As for the air intake im sure something will be able to be done to sort that out to!
thanks for the info guys!

I am planning to CSR next year, but you guys are scaring the pants off me??? My D40 is half shagged already - maybe time to get back to a real 4x4??? 08kingcab - can you explain how you used 500 ltrs over 2200km? That is nearly 23 l/100km, and sound kinda high for a low-speed trek? Thanks.

I got 20.4l/100km in the city carrying bugger all weight at last fill. I'd say that was good going with all the weight and given the terrain

Don't all the experts (and by experts I mean those journos writing for 4wd mags) suggest that to be on the safe side when traveling trips like the Canning etc you should always take your worst fuel figures and add something like 20% as a precaution given that even though it's a lot of low speed it's quite often higher revs and more work than on such routes?

The CSR is probably the most grueling road in Australia, it made the Gibb look like a 4 lane highway. The corrugations really have to be seen to be believed, some sections you can barely do 10kph, with out running of the road. On one particular day we drove 9 hours and only covered 120k's. You could possibly get an offroad van into Rudall River, but not the CSR, the first dune would stop you dead. Some of the dunes had what could only be classed as a runway for a run up, peolpe towing offroad campers had backed into the scrub to try and build up enough momenteun to get over the top, I'm guessing by the length of them they must have being doing 80+ks when they hit the dune. But if they don't make they spin their wheels digging great big ruts and holes up the face of the dune making it so much harder for the next person. There is probably 200 or so really steep, if you keep hitting them at 80k's something going to brake sooner than later.
I found the best speed was about 15-30ks with the right gear selection, I managed to get over nearlly all the dunes fisrt attempt, but even still I compeltly shagged out the rear suspension.
Just remeber you have more than 1000 dunes to climb, gibbers, sharp rocks , corrugations, and possibly mud to negotiate, and takes around 14 days to complete, it's not for the faint hearted

All the roads in this part of the country including the Wapet, Kidson, Gary, Gunbarrel and Heather have mountainous corrugations. For most of the Gary Highway last year we barely averaged 25kph...and that was over 3 days. Here's a sample of the corrugations on the Gunbarrel and they were never-ending. Don't worry about the D40 not being able to handle it - it will and with ease. The only problem I had was the lower front of the rear wheel arches ( on the outside ) had the paint sandblasted off....not too bad for an all up 19000km trip that included 5 desert crossings (or part crossings).

Attachments

• East West East 2009 769.jpg
    East West East 2009 769.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 93
  • East West East 2009 770.jpg
    East West East 2009 770.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Back