Hello Is this inter cooler any good?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks the goods.
Why not call them and see if they can supply you with more details including a dyno run?

So other than air being pushed directly through a front mount inter cooler (which i suppose would cool the air better than top mount) are there any other benefits of a front mount? And what happens when ur not going at a reasonable speed cause there's no fan or can u fit a fan as well?
Thanks

problem with top mount is your relying on its fan. its has to compete with the engines fan. otherwise when your going slow the engines fan will blow hot air up through the intercooler.
with front mount the engines fan assists a bit and an extra fan can be added as well.

while the front mount is more expensive due to plumbing, you also don't have to cut hole in bonnet and fit a scoop.

is it just me or does that scoop look smaller than the IC ?

just a thought......that top mount with fan, the fan will keep the turbo a fair bit cooler to. might help the turbo last longer.

Top mount has to be 3 times bigger to do the job of a front mount of the same size. So if your front mount is 300mm long the top mount would have tyo be 900mm long to do the same job.

Trying to figure out the plumbing on that one. Looks as though the turbo feeds the right side of the cooler (closest to the engine) and then the discharge must run through 180 degrees to come back to the crossover pipe. I am a bit concerned about how they have got the inlet or discharge in on the right side, looks like a nice smooth end tank with the pipe stuck in the bottom of it at right angles. Some better pictures would probably help.

I am thinking about a cooler for mine but have been thinking along the lines of a smallish water to air job. I reckon you could relocate the fuel filter and put the inlet heat exchanger over there, hide the pump underneath it and then route some basic lines out the front for the water cooling heat exchanger. It should combine most of the effectiveness of a front mount with the shorter pipework of a top mount (Almost as short anyway) and not require boring holes in the car to get pipework out to a front mount.

Ok thanks for ur input, any where theres some good info on a air to water? u use glycol for better heat transfer right and the air cools the glycol but then what happens that gets pumped to another heat exchanger and then u pass ur intake air over that? So u need two heat exchangers a pump and pipes to connect it all, much more benefit for the extra cost? Thanks

water-air...theres a few threads on it somewhere.
generally very expensive. also if you do it on the cheap you run the risk of the intercooler part leaking and blowing a motor.
however they do work very well when going slow. they still perform when air-air ones don't due to lack of air flow.

water-air is touted as being "more efficient". thats not strictly true. parts of it is very efficient but it has loses elsewhere. so at road speed an air-air performs better, at slow speeds water-air tends to win out.
but how often do you do sustained full throttle with high loading at low speeds? normally not a lot even when 4wding.

the other thing to is diesels actually like a fast cooling interccoler. a petrol is rarely on boost, so it tends to heat up the intercooler while under boost thens gets a long time to cool down while on part throttle.
small diesels sit on boost constantly so an intercooler heats up and never gets a chance to cool down. so your trying to cool with a hot intercooler.
so you really need something that will cool quickly rather than store the heat in the intercooler.

Ok thanks, well the only reason ive been thinking about it is because i read somewhere the turbos can blow up and instead of getting it checked or replaced early i could fit an inter cooler to solve this problem true?

Ok thanks, well the only reason ive been thinking about it is because i read somewhere the turbos can blow up and instead of getting it checked or replaced early i could fit an inter cooler to solve this problem true?

nope load of BS.

what they could be meaning is the intercooler can act as a sieve and catch the bits of metal from a turbo blowing up. that can save your motor.

also the intercooler reduces EGT's (exhaust temp) so it can give you some headroom so you don't go to high and melt a piston.

probably biggest cause of turbo failure in these is due to not letting turbo cool down before shutting engine off. these turbo's are not water cooled so its quite important.
also i have noticed these can run quite hot if using poor fuel. so while you think your not driving hard enough to require a cool down, its actually quite hot. thats where an EGT guage or even a cheap temp gauge is very handy.

Yeah thats what they were sayin to catch the metal bits, good idea or not. So tweak do u have a turbo timer or u just watch ur EGT gauge? Thanks

Last edited:
intercooler is a good idea for all the reasons. pushing 15psi+ without intercooler is not the greatest for a motor.

i just watch EGT guage, shutoff @ 150

Back