Will This Void My Warranty?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azza

Reaction score
Will a new exhaust system (beaudesert exhaust) void my warrenty? I'm looking to spend some money making my ute FAST :big_smile:. Also looking to put a slim-line thermo fan on the top mount as a quick fix for the piss poor amount air it recieves, doing a water to air later on. Once I get the exhaust a chip is on the way...

Will doing your own oil changes affect the warrenty too?

Thanks guys

Just remember doing all the mods on your ute will make it quicker, but its a diesel and it will never be fast. Just dont go comparing it to a petrol variant.

Yeah, I've had a v6 tow vehicle before I got the d22 so I know it'll never be like that. I just want the extra power for towing and hills mainly, I don't mind spending the money to give it some more balls.

Will the exhaust void the warrenty though? I don't want to pull it off everytime nissan see's the car.

I cant say if it will or wont effect your warranty but i dont see any harm in changing the system, many guys on here have done so and not had any dramas.
I drove my car for a year without an exhaust and it was fine.

as its been mentioned before...

if the engine fk's up you got to prove to nissan the exhaust didnt do it.

nissan can just say it was the exhaust as its non-standard item, not a genuine nissan part or not a nissan approved part.

then again, i never heard of an exhaust causing the engine to fail? a proper exhaust that is

My take on the situation would be similar to maddog's. It's a fine line any of us walk in regards to mods and warranties but unless Nissan can specifically prove the mod caused the warranty claim then you wont have a problem. Of course it's their right to do everything in their power to try and prove the issue isn't their fault but you have the same rights to prove it wasn't the mod that caused the problem.

Manufactures can't get away with as much passing the buck as they used to, once upon a time places like Ultratune (if you chose them) weren't allowed to service a new car without breaking the warranty but thankfully these rules have changed and if the work you have done on your car is done by someone qualified even Nissan and their big time lawyers will have a hard time fighting work done unless its obviously the cause of the problem. Although harder to prove and sometimes more costly this rule even applies to backyard mechanics providing they aren't at fault.

The thing is if you are really worried about a new car warranty you'd never make any mods to your car cause even something like adding an after market canopy could void the warranty if you take every word the manufactures claim as gospel, it's their job to protect themselves from repair costs not to protect you.

I have always regarded warranty as an uneasy relationship between someone who thinks the manufacturer should fix a problem and the manufacturer who does not want to fix it. I wrote off the warranty on my D22 ZD30 at 10,000km by deciding that the D22 appeared pretty reliable and the cost to pay someone else to service it was not worth the perceived protection of warranty. It is now out of warranty with no issues whatsoever so my gamble paid off. My cost saving on factory service would be enough to pay for anything short of a full engine rebuild.

Unless the YD25 engine uses similar VNT control methods to a Patrol and a proper exhaust resulted in overboosting causing problems it would be hard to see an exhaust causing any warrantable problems.

There is no reason to wipe a warranty just because work is done elsewhere though, it's clearly stated that no manufacture can void the warranty if work has been done elsewhere unless the work done can be proven to be at fault.

Sure there is plenty of people out there that will tell you that manufacturers will try their hardest to get out of all claims but lets face it servicing a car isn't that hard to do and there is every chance a private mechanic could be higher qualified than a dealer mechanic so providing things are done by the book the manufacturer is going to have a hard time proving fault at one mechanic.

If your mechanic removes 3 wheel nuts and the wheel falls off or he puts petrol in a diesel engine then sure a manufacturer has grounds to say your mechanic is at fault but the reason manuals exist and the reason servicing guides are produced aren't for the manufacturer because they have all that stuff it's so Joe Public has a choice of who works on his car.

Years ago in the PC industry we used to sell PC's with "Warranty Void If Removed" stickers on the cases to stop people taking their PC's to other stores or pulling them apart themselves and just like car manufacturers we knew that the stickers were only to deter people, there was no legal ground we could void their warranty if they took the lid off the case. Taking a hammer to the CPU would void the warranty but removing the screws in a case couldn't

Nissan have said that the warranty on the engine would be void if you chipped it. Exhaust is probably not so much a problem, the water to air again should be okay, but that chip is a thorn in Nissan's side.

Thankfully they take 5 minutes to change, I'm told.

Given the most of them seem to intercept and modify outputs not inputs they would also be pretty difficult to detect using any sort of data logging the ECU may have once they have been removed .

but that chip is a thorn in Nissan's side.

Thankfully they take 5 minutes to change, I'm told.

And what pi**es me off about it is that in the waiting room at Village Nissan in Redcliffe there is a huge poster advertising the Steinbauer chip. Double standards anyone?

Well on your replies I got the idea it shouldn't be much of a problem so I ordered my new exhaust today. Should be here by next weekend, cost me $1270 delivered to Canberra, plus a case of beer for my mate to help install it. Not looking forward to the install (removing the front drive shaft apparently), my mate has the lifts and gear so we'll see how it goes.

Next week I'll try and get a small slim-line thermo fan for the top mount and see how much of a difference they both make, mainly towing up hills. Then a chip :wink:

Thanks guys, I'll post up results when I'm done.

Azza, check my ride thread (in sig), Ive installed the Beaudesert Exhaust. Wasn't too hard, just a bit of skin off the knuckles. Front drive shaft is easy, just remember to mark it where you take it off so it goes back in same position. I'm not sure if this is necessary but did it anyway.

Cool thread Jason, I went with the exact same system so those photos are reassuring. Looking forward to the reduction in turbo lag. On the installation specs do they recommend lock-tite on the nuts?

By the way Beaudesert Exhausts were very good to deal with (so far).

No loctite specced, you have to re-tighten the nuts/bolts after a week or so, then I tried again a month later but they were fine.

The girl at Beau that I dealt with was great as well. I have asked a few questions via email and they were prompt in responding.

And what pi**es me off about it is that in the waiting room at Village Nissan in Redcliffe there is a huge poster advertising the Steinbauer chip. Double standards anyone?

I believe the difference there is that if they install it they have to warranty the install which means they become responsible for any damage the chip may cause and it's up to them to argue the case against Nissan. You buy the chip and install it yourself you risk the warranty if they can prove it was your install that caused it. If they installed it and it caused a problem and then tried to tell the owner they were on their own against Nissan I very much doubt the case would even make a court room.

I still doubt such a case would ever make it to a court. Anything a dealer installs whether on the day of purchase or when the car is 2 years old becomes their responsibility and they have to warranty it and the labour. They will no doubt try and palm it off but if the chip they install in their workshop and receipt causes a problem they are responsible unless you sign a waiver expemting them from it.

Take the chip home and do it yourself you open another can or worms they might be able to squirm out of but they are responsible for their work on your car just like a sparky who rewires your house and causes a fire is responsible if his work is proven to be at fault.

Yeah all well and good if returned to the same dealer for warranty/repairs, I imagine it would be a lot harder if you were mid-tour and needed to convince a different dealer.

Bottom line: Double standards.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer puts it back on Steinbauer to deal with Nissan.

Last edited:
Back