I want one of these!!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incredible how far CAD CAM has evolved.
Reason I walked away from my trade though. I really enjoyed the hands on Milling and turning but I gut stuck in front of a CNC machine as its slave.
Still got a Lathe in the garage though and its in imperial for that extra mental input:big_smile:
Used to own an EH and I worked for GMH and some of the most bling bits that ever got added to it were some alluminium Cheviot hub caps fully NC machined with the roaring lion 3d modelled into the ends of them. Being a one off I'm sure they will be out there in someones hands as a trophy piece for a show car.
Also as an apprentice manufactured my own skateboard wheels when I diverted time in the machine shop to make my own injection mould dies.

If your interested in that sort of stuff checkout CNCzone.com-Machinist Community Forums - Welcome Page and have a look at what people are doing both in industrial scale and in the back shed.

Put one in your new shed Matt.

I've played with a bit of CAD programming in the past but would be lucky to turn out an ashtray these days.

A couple of years ago i watched that machine on a larger scale on youtube carve out the bugatti w16 cylinder engine block from a solid piece of alloy.
Amazing stuff, i find the water cutting even more amazing, thick steel or stone sliced to perfection and better than laser finish, all done by water.

That's just awesome. I have a microlathe that I use for making replacement parts for my aircraft and have turned a few arrowheads for my ultra-narrow carbon shafts - I have a 60lb compound bow, and with the really thin shafts I get much better flight performance but they didn't make flush arrowheads for such a small shaft, only the "slip-over" type which were difficult to extract from a target. What made it worse was that the average arrow saw about 1/4 of its shaft penetrate the target, and mine were going 1/2 to 2/3 of its length in.

I've made swash plates, rotor hubs and stuff - it's all fun. I'd love a mill, and we'll get there when I get a larger workshop. But it'll all be manual stuff, although a computer controlled laser cutting bench for making airframe parts would be something I'd love to get my hands on.

Id love a mill and a lathe in the shed.

I know what u mean,

after about 20 odd years out of that trade,
I finally, several years back got myself those two machines and then some,
so I've been able to machine at home instead of a mates workshop.

Allthough have been a sparky for a long time, i have never lost the interest in machining.

That's just awesome. I have a microlathe that I use for making replacement parts for my aircraft and have turned a few arrowheads for my ultra-narrow carbon shafts - I have a 60lb compound bow, and with the really thin shafts I get much better flight performance but they didn't make flush arrowheads for such a small shaft, only the "slip-over" type which were difficult to extract from a target. What made it worse was that the average arrow saw about 1/4 of its shaft penetrate the target, and mine were going 1/2 to 2/3 of its length in.

I've made swash plates, rotor hubs and stuff - it's all fun. I'd love a mill, and we'll get there when I get a larger workshop. But it'll all be manual stuff, although a computer controlled laser cutting bench for making airframe parts would be something I'd love to get my hands on.

Hi mate, I see your into model aircraft.
if you like post me your email, as i cant see how to put an attachment in to the PM's and I'll send you some pics on these amazing handmade got to see to believe P51 model + some,
if you havnt seen them allready.

Jim.

I have a Spitfire (boo the P51 muscle machine, I like the finesse of the British aircraft). It's 1/5th scale, quite a large aircraft and should be moved around by two people. Takes a 62cc 2-stroke to turn over the prop. That's my biggest, but I think my most impressive is the 1/6th scale Bell Jet Ranger that I'm in the process of rebuilding.

All of those are on the backburner as I've discovered a love for yachts anyway, and have a 2.25metre hull that I'm restoring and re-decking to add a 3.5metre mast, should be capable of 30-35 knots on water when she's done.

I keep my flying habits satisfied with those smaller helicopters. They're fairly unsubstantial and not very difficult to fly, but they also don't do a lot. I'm working on replacing the head gear on my fix-pitched Piccolo with a full variable pitch setup, I have to make the swash plate and rotor hubs, blade holders and flybar mount myself.

I'm also considering making - from scratch - a decent sized Chinook that's capable of lifting stuff, so I can put a camera in it and do remote photography. Being a naturally heavy lifter, I could probably put a considerable amount in it and it ought to be fun, but as I haven't even started drawing it, I'd rather leave it as a dream at the moment and finish my yacht off.

Besides, the difference is usually along these lines:

RC Car: 4 minutes of hectic tyre smoking at 80-100km/h.

Heli: 5-10 minutes of frantic thumb-dancing while you try to stop the thing falling out of the sky

Plane: 10-12 minutes of an almost tennis-match-like viewing with the occasional roll. *yawn*

Yacht: 11 hours of sitting in a chair beside an eski.

Depends on my mood - I like the chair option, lately.

I have a Spitfire (boo the P51 muscle machine, I like the finesse of the British aircraft). It's 1/5th scale, quite a large aircraft and should be moved around by two people. Takes a 62cc 2-stroke to turn over the prop. That's my biggest, but I think my most impressive is the 1/6th scale Bell Jet Ranger that I'm in the process of rebuilding.

All of those are on the backburner as I've discovered a love for yachts anyway, and have a 2.25metre hull that I'm restoring and re-decking to add a 3.5metre mast, should be capable of 30-35 knots on water when she's done.

I keep my flying habits satisfied with those smaller helicopters. They're fairly unsubstantial and not very difficult to fly, but they also don't do a lot. I'm working on replacing the head gear on my fix-pitched Piccolo with a full variable pitch setup, I have to make the swash plate and rotor hubs, blade holders and flybar mount myself.

I'm also considering making - from scratch - a decent sized Chinook that's capable of lifting stuff, so I can put a camera in it and do remote photography. Being a naturally heavy lifter, I could probably put a considerable amount in it and it ought to be fun, but as I haven't even started drawing it, I'd rather leave it as a dream at the moment and finish my yacht off.

Besides, the difference is usually along these lines:

RC Car: 4 minutes of hectic tyre smoking at 80-100km/h.

Heli: 5-10 minutes of frantic thumb-dancing while you try to stop the thing falling out of the sky

Plane: 10-12 minutes of an almost tennis-match-like viewing with the occasional roll. *yawn*

Yacht: 11 hours of sitting in a chair beside an eski.

Depends on my mood - I like the chair option, lately.

Obviously not timepoor.

These models i mentioned are'nt for flying but are hand made for superior detail like I've not seen since i had model trains in my younger years,
though these models leave them for dead,
and are not plastic kit models,
COMPLETELY HOME MADE of metals.

Time varies depending on what I can be bothered making of it. The semi-retired lifestyle really doesn't hurt.

I've been thinking about making trains, since I can turn wheels with the lathe I thought to myself that making a loco and carriages would be a neat thing. Making the rails is something else I haven't paid a lot of thought to, but I had thought it would be neat to build my own 'G' gauge steam loco and a partner that's electric and powered by solar panels built into the roof of each carriage, probably sourced from those little garden lights.

I have a few static models - small ones, not superb in detail so nothing spectacular. I have been building (for some time now, I really should get in and finish it) a model of the Endeavour in wood. I'll be sticking that in a perspex case so it doesn't attract dust and the grandkids' fingers, of course.

With all the things I want to do though, I'm not likely to finish them before the reaper comes and gets me. I just have so many things I find interesting!

I just have so many things I find interesting!

Thats my problem exactly.

Next door to me makes his own steam loco's, very time consuming and by no means a quick project,
but,
there are lots parts allready forged or cast just needing final machining to your specs, though lots of parts need fabricating,
rail is a shelf item,
complete drawings to scale for manufacturing,
clubs and lots of help if needed.

Latest posts

Back