D-Gas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance S

Reaction score
G'day guys,

As a newbie, i am 2 minds on whether to get a chip or go the gas. After heaps of research i decided to go the gas, but the only problem i have is that it hasn't been approved by the AAFRB in Victoria, but you can get it done in other states.

So my question is, is there anyone out there who has had it done or know of anyone who has had it done. Is it worth the gains supposely made by all the manufactures. They also state that you don't need to upgrade your exhaust and if you do it is only a 3-5% difference in gain in power.

cheers,

Lance

This is my opinion.

I wouldn't put gas through a motor where the engineers never thought of putting LPG into a diesel engine. I would consider it, if I seen 2 vehicles run till 500,000km's (1 diesel/gas and the other straight diesel) and open them up and see the difference in the condition of the motors. If they were the same or the LPG motor was in better condition.

As for the exhaust, add more fuel, more heat. Better exhaust will get the heat out faster and the turbo will spool quicker. Faster you get the heat out the less chance of melted piston's.

If you either gas it or chip it, intercool the motor aswell. Lower the intake temps to lower the egt's.

But thats just me.

Dave.

I've had the dgas system on my 05 D22 Nav for about 6 weeks now and I am massively impressed with the extra power and gain in economy. I also put a 2.5' system from the cat back at the same time.

Last week I did 450kms mainly country with combined around town. I had to overtake a heap of road trains in some instances 2 at a time and I had every confidence in pulling out and going for the overtake. I only used 38l of diesel and 12l of gas for that 450km.

I like Dave str am a little unsure about motor long gevity but if you ensure you don't overgas it by using too larger jet you should be okay. Funnily enough though since putting gas on my ute, the temp guage has been running slightly lower than normal. Got to get myself a EGT guage though.

My Nav is in the shop at the moment having D-gas fitted. It was due out at 4:00 today but as usual there is a problem finishing it on time so sometime tomorrow. It will go in Monday to Beaudesert Exhaust for a 2.75" system including dump pipe and cat converter. Looking forward to seeing the difference. Should I be fitting extra gauges and if so, which?

Paul

Exhaust temp Paul, this gauge above any other is the most important, especially considering a guy I know just holed a piston and cracked the head in his Hliux 3.0 D4-D with a D-Gas system fitted to it.

He reckoned it was great on fuel economy and had heaps of power right up until it went bang.

Thanks, Shonky. Been looking them up for cost and looks like another $200 or so. Just after laying out about $5000 (with $2000 to come back) the LOTO will baulk on more spending :stop: for a while. Still, Valentine's Day is coming up so play my cards right :flowers: permission may be granted.:victory:
Paul

Thanks, Shonky. Been looking them up for cost and looks like another $200 or so. Just after laying out about $5000 (with $2000 to come back) the LOTO will baulk on more spending :stop: for a while. Still, Valentine's Day is coming up so play my cards right :flowers: permission may be granted.:victory:
Paul

No worries, just don't take too long, the guy with the Hilux had the system on for 6 months and it wasn't quite using enough gas, so he took it back and they changed the jet to allow more gas, which gave it more power and better fuel economy, but it only lasted about 4-5 weeks after having the gas turned up till it melted down, had he had the exhaust temp gauge he would have seen that it was running too hot and maybe averted a costly rebuild.

i personally don't like the idea of lpg on variable turbo vechiles. if the turbo control system plays up it can mean large amounts of lpg get injected.

why not look at water/meth/alcohol injection ?
cheap to install, a small pre turbo injection makes turbo work a lot more efficent and meth can give BIG power gains. only catch is the size of the tank but then again the lpg tank isn't small.

I believe that IF something does happen then there is a solenoid that goes to a safe position and that either stops or runs less gas, but never more gas, going by there website.

They also reconfirm that they have NEVER had a motor, turbo or piston problem

As we all know that the only way to blow an engine up is by putting more gas into the motor and with the D-Gas system they say is it cannot overfuel as the jetting in the manifold stops this with the Safe Only solenoid

I'm still doing more homework by talking to people who have the D-Gas

cheers,

Lance

Do you get the gov rebate back if its LPG to a diesel?

In WA we get a $1000 state govt rebate as well as the federal govt $2000 rebate. My system only cost me $800 out of my own pocket after the rebates. There is talk of the rebates ending at the end of this financial year so if you are interested in doing it, you would want to be doing before the next budget.

Whoops

Exhaust temp Paul, this gauge above any other is the most important, especially considering a guy I know just holed a piston and cracked the head in his Hliux 3.0 D4-D with a D-Gas system fitted to it.

He reckoned it was great on fuel economy and had heaps of power right up until it went bang.

I'm running a d gas system and just took it back to adjust to use less gas as it was blowing smoke under pressure, and chewing up a tank of LPG in half a tank of oil

Now not as much grunt but better economy I think. I was getting about 800 k per tank with the wick turned up so we will see and report how we go.

Another question, every so often the yellow engine outline on the dash blinks at me. i drained the fuel filter, it was dry. Anything else it could be?

How do i get an exhaust temp gauge fitted and how do you read them?

Nemo

When the check engine light blinks at you, how often does it do it, I've had mine do it once before and it didn't stop until I drained the fuel filter and primed the fuel system again.

With regards to the EGT guage, I fitted my own, but its not something I'd recommend you do unless you are handy with the tools. Any mechanic should be able to fit one for you, there are a few different brands around, I'm using the VDO gauges.

Thanks

Before installing diesel/gas read this Caravan and Motorhome Books It was written by an automotive engineer who has access to research that we do not have knowledge of or access to. Also it was not written by someone pushing their own products..

PeterD

As with many things in life it seems you always get the information you REALLY needed after you have committed to the course of action. I'm shortly to do a there and back trip totalling 1500k, with a trailer. There empty, back about one tonne total extra load on truck and trailer. I'll go up empty on diesel alone and return with gas/diesel. Results should make for interesting reading.

Yes you do. I have the forms all filled out. They can be submitted at Medicare or Centrelink offices and if all info is given they will have the $2000 in your bank account within 10 days.:stupido:

Paul

I was advised to put the forms through Medicare as Centrelink is a quagmire. Did so and got the rebate in 7 days.

But carefully arrange your affairs if it is a vehicle that has some part connection to a business as the rebate does not apply to commercial vehicles.
We paid two bills separately, one for the gas system and, as it was done as a subcontract to the gas fitter by a third party, another for the exhaust modifications. I'll leave you to figure out why.

When the check engine light blinks at you, how often does it do it, I've had mine do it once before and it didn't stop until I drained the fuel filter and primed the fuel system again.

With regards to the EGT guage, I fitted my own, but its not something I'd recommend you do unless you are handy with the tools. Any mechanic should be able to fit one for you, there are a few different brands around, I'm using the VDO gauges.

Light went out by itself. But we will run Nimrod the navara over a diagnostic computer shortly.

As for the gauge, i build wooden boats and things so if the gauge is made out of wood I can fit it. But I guess it's not eh?

Latest posts

Back