D21 Navara problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbykemp39

Reaction score
G'day guys just bought a second hand navara D21 and there are a few problems with it and would love some help diagnosing them. First problem, 4wd won't engage, I lock the hubs, put the gear in 4L put the car in gear and let the clutch out and the car doesn't move, not sure if there is a dash light to signal if its engaged, but nothing comes up on the dash anyways. Second problem is the diff makes a knocking sound when I change gear and the rev's are high, and continually knocks when I'm doing 100km, I'm not really a car person so I have no idea, I'm just getting into now but would love as much help as I can possibly get, so if anyone can help me out I would bd forever grateful.
Cheers guys
-bobby

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a D21 expert but the first problem sounds like a method issue. For later models (and it might be the same for yours), you have to have the car in neutral and the brake on in order to engage 4LO.

The second problem could be a uni joint, but wait for one of the D21 experts to come along.

The first problem is you haven't put it in 4x4. There's a gate, you have to push the stick down to get over it and into 4lo. There's a light that comes on. You can do it in gear (clutch in) and brake off, you just have to be stationary.

Second problem could be differential, uni joints, or centre bearing, can't diagnose it over the net.

Last edited:
Thanks Dion for your help, I push the stick down and pull it all the way down, but no light comes on, I'll keep preserving with it though. Are you a mechanic ? Local to pakenham?

does the light come on when your in 4H?
if it does, then your not getting the stick low enough for 4L.
If it dosent come on then the light/sensor might be broken, no big deal.

the way I see it, your either not putting the stick in the right place, OR your 4wd low chain drive gear has snapped off - otherwise you would be moving.

what happens when you drive in 4H?

Put it in neutral, lock hubs pull the 4wd stick down 2 positions, then put it in reverse, release the clutch a little, and let it creep back a few feet, then put it in first.

Thanks tax and unknown user for the advice, unfortunately tried both and the car still doesn't move, fair bit of oil leaking under the car near the 4wd box, it's going in to the mechanics next week, hopefully won't cost me too much

nvm that post last night went out to the car in the dark and slipped right into 4lo..panicked as i couldnt take it out till i discovered about pushing in the lever!

*grumble now i have to pump up all my tyres cause i was so worried about gearbox windup lol i never went past 5km/h lol

lucky i got a thumper

Latest posts

Back