Restored old cedar alvey

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

180%JOE

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just want to show my restored alvey that I am taking to fraser in september. I bought it off gumtree after a bit of research.
This is how it looked when I bought it;

The handles did not spin and the side cast would not turn but the reel felt smooth enough to use, there was a hole drilled into the spool where they tied off the line. It also had a few
scratches from wear. The reel is made out of cedar and was built in brisbane around late 30's to 40's.

I stripped the old line off and pulled it apart to check all the internals, the ratchet did not work and it was filled with old grease. I degreased the reel with vinegar solution and cleaned the spool. I then spent a while polishing the stainless steel backing with steel wool. It came up mint. After pulling it all apart and cleaning it everything moved freely again. Next I started to strip off the old varnish and stain. The end result was this;

Next I researched the original stain they used, it was rosewood stain. I also used a cedar grain filler to fill the slight scratches and grain. This I then sanded smooth ready for the stain.
I also used cedar putty to fill the hole in the spool. I applied one coat of stain as you can see below;

It had to dry for a day then I could put the first coat of varnish on. I used an improvised hanger and did not touch the reel. The varnish takes 24hrs to fully dry so I waited to the next day. I then used 320 grit sandpaper to rough the surface ready for the next coat. I had to wait 24hrs then repeat for the third coat. This is it after the first coat;

Here is the finished product, all dry and reassembled;

Restored vs Original

All it needs now is some reel oil as lubricant and then some line. Can't wait to get some tailor!

Awesome stuff mate.

I have the Alvey light surf/estuary rod and reel combo, I've tried really hard to persevere with it but I just can't get the reel right.

On the weekend I took it to Kings Beach to try again and just got sick of casting birds nests so I bought a Shimano Baitcaster 8000 for the rod on the way home at BCF :/ I did try!

That reel looks great though, good on you.

Awesome stuff mate.

I have the Alvey light surf/estuary rod and reel combo, I've tried really hard to persevere with it but I just can't get the reel right.

On the weekend I took it to Kings Beach to try again and just got sick of casting birds nests so I bought a Shimano Baitcaster 8000 for the rod on the way home at BCF :/ I did try!

That reel looks great though, good on you.

Alleys need a low mount and a long run to the first runner to avoid those birds nests!

Great restoration job, hope it gets into the fish!

Im getting a new surf rod to go with it.... I like the idea of New and Old mix. Hopefully the vintage reel gives me the luck this year at Fraser.

Thing of beauty. Top job mate. Just don't drop it on the rocks whatever you do.
Always use a swivel as first piece of tackle in any alvey rig. Let's the line spin and avoids birds nests.

Mate Lovely reel! Top job

When are you off to Fraser? and for how long? Camping or rental?

I'm leaving this coming saturday 31/8 and coming back 4 weeks later on the 27/9! Plan is to camp somewhere north of Dundaburra but before Indian Heads. Say hi if you see my black on silver D22 with stock black rims and a rear bar/wheel carrier!

For those that are interested I will be trying to write a blog (will be writing every day - just uploading whenever reception is available) at 1monthonfraser.wordpress.com. Plan is to udate with conditions and fishing reports as well as mentioning any general shenanigans we get up to!

Hi shay. Im there 16th to 25th. Im usually camping north of dundaburra as well. Ill be in a white navara with camper trailer. Ill look out for you while im there.

Awesome, Ill try and keep an eye out for you too! Would love to see that reel.

Will be with a silver Triton for the entire trip, and possibly a black Triton and blue D40 at various times.

Planning a Sandy cape trip too, how about you?

yeah for sure, we tried to get to the cape last year but was too difficult with the tides. We will head north most mornings to the "no fish zone" south of indian head, we fish a few gutters south of the zone markings.

Very nice restoration, looks fantastic and hope you get amongst it on your trip.

Got a couple of Alveys but never use them, they were my fathers who gave them to me and remember him using them when I was a kid, maybe one day I might get one out and try it.

Looks great,when I have time will post pic of one in as new original condition, also have Sea Martin.Hugh

Back