Vehicle Security Help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is a semi rant and question for those who have toolboxes on there trade utes etc.

Ok so i have a work supplied vehicle as a carpenter and as my job requires to carry lots of tools and gear to complete my daily duties. Regardless of area (logan qld) i have had my toolboxes/car broken into or attempt to break into 5 times since new years. 2 of which resulted in the loss of some very expensive gear. I have a toolbox on each side of my car and they both have lockable handles and also hasp+staples with stand alone keys to suit my work requirements. The tray is then covered with a large Gorilla Cargo Net which is secured using the provided tie downs and extras. I have now had to ziptie my tiedowns to the car to deter people from trying to get it off.

I want to know what people have used for security on the trade vehicles as my car sits in my driveway and isnt locked behind a gate or in a garage?

I have installed sensor flood lights, sensor flush mount outdoor ceiling lights and am now in the process of installing security cameras with night vision.

The most recent attempt the police caught the offendent but couldnt press charges as he never gained entry to the ute(he couldnt get the tiedown off cause of the zipties).

Help
Rusty

How have they gotten in previously? Reason I ask is that helps to know what needs to be made
More secure.

Short of an electric fence i had the same trouble with my work trailer.

Make all latches hasps ect bolt cutter proof on tool boxes weld all hinge pins fit additional hinges as the standard are week.

Get a flexible high tensile cable to go over the net they come in 6mtr lengths secure it with a lock with a enclosed shackle you can get it 3-4 times over the tray very hard to cut.

For at home have a motion alarm fitted to the tray 120db runs on 9volt battery i did all this and have since had no issues apart from an attempt to cut the cable.

That's all i can think of the bastards carry small boltcutters that they shove down their jeans make this hard for them before they have a go.

John

Mitch

They have removed the cargo net and busted the T handles and locks off the toolbox and also cut a bike lock that was securing a honda generator. All other attempts they have just undone the net and flipped it over the box.

John
Thanks for the ideas. I will sus them out.

Yea righto. Well I would suggest same as hj, the cable and the high pitched alarm.

I believe old tony was talking about motion activated tasers in another thread once??

Quicksand and a moat may help too. Had two toolboxes and a dual battery box pinched from mine. Have just used bigger locks n bolts..... moved house as well

Good luck matey

We are looking at moving as i could lose the vehicle if it keeps happening. We want to buy but cant find the right house in the current market. Looks asif we may have to rent for 12 months then buy.

the cable stops them getting the net off easy also those t handles they bust with a little crowbar replace them with the hasp where they carnt get to the lock bolt that through the entire box using cup head bolts fot the genny use a abus motorbike lock uncutable without a grinder and it takes time and noise also those bike ubolt locks that look tough to cut they spread it open with a bottle jack not that i'm a crim just spent 15yrs dealing with this my trailer has about 20k worth of tools.
John

The genny ive got a abus high tensile square chain which is apparently bolt cutter proof and a abus ROCK lock. So they need a grinder for that. I have also placed hasp+staple which go dowm into the side of the tray with abus padlocks again. So they have to take the net off and drop the ute sides to remove the padlock. All riveted in with s/steel rivets. The zipties seem to be working as it took the guy forever to get a strap anywhere near off before police got him (lastnight)

Rusty

The most recent attempt the police caught the offendent but couldnt press charges as he never gained entry to the ute(he couldnt get the tiedown off cause of the zipties).

Help
Rusty

Unlawful interference with a motor vehicle?

A fkin big dog asleep in the tray
Scumbags deserve all they get
Rip you off,stick it in there arm then go and get "food vouchers" to feed there kids
The sooner there taken out of the gene pool the better
My bro in law lives in your area and has his dog sleep in his tray every night

Yeh i was watching him through the kitchen window while i was on the phone to the police. Cops rocked up bout 10mins later and he bolted and i unlocked the door and ran out watching where he went so the police could run after him. He then denied everything and gave the police some bs story that i laughed at. He stood back to far into the flush mount sensor light at my front door and he lit up so the wife and i got a great full description.

This is why I'm building a cage to go on top of my tub.

ATM, have two aluminium 900mm high by 900mm boxes in the back of mine. Often find the T handles sticking out when we return to it in the shopping centre car park, but never anything more than that so far.

Really need to A->G for security cams and sensor lights out the front as it sits in the driveway all night(tail in= out of sight?).

Hi Rusty. Mate I have used house door dead locks in the past. You can adapt them to fit a toolbox you just have to pack the inside to replicate a door thickness. I use on on my safe in my camp trailer. Just a thought.

On top of your measures you could apply to council for street lighting.
Sounds soft I know but it works. They just stop hanging around when there's light.

Latest posts

Back