D22 suspension lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggy

Reaction score
Hi All

I am going to put a 2"lift on my navara.I have quotes from $1300 to $2500(tjm)this includes fitting.I was tossing up between Old Man Emu,EFS, Lovells or Tough Dog.So for all guys who have 2" lift, what lift kits do you have fitted? Good,bad or suggestions?

Thanks
Shane:hmmmm:

Where do I start.......my situation might be different to yours as I carry a lot of weight during the week so went for Boss Air Bags also, but forgetting them I went with the following.

EFS HD Torsion Bars
Ridepro HD Leaf Springs
Rancho RS9000XL Adjustable Shocks All Round

So with mine its all fully adjustable due to different driving situations, loaded for work during the week, some play on weekends otherwise towing a Jayco Camper around.

Excluding the Air Bags I spent around the $1700 mark on all the components, fitting and wheel allignment. Very happy with the setup now though, just need to buy the in cab adjuster for the shocks.

Last edited:
custom extra leaf for rear springs, still have stock shocks and stock torsion bars.

I have EFS shocks all round, EFS HD Leaves and stock torsion bars wound up. Probably 1 1/2" increase all round.

The rear is a bit stiff when empty but I usually have a heavy toolbox in the back most of the time which makes it ok. I used HD leaves to improve ride and handling when towing/loaded for camping, works well.

I have:
HD rear leaf springs (Ironman)
Std torsion bars wound up
Rancho adjustables all round

I have a steel bar and winch hanging off the front but still wouldn't bother replacing the torsion bars unless they snapped or sagged to buggery. The fact is you only have a certain amount of travel, which in my experience can be used by winding up the original torsion bars.

As for the shocks, it depends what you want to do. I don't find the ranchos cope that well in touring situations. I had Raw Nitro shockies on my last ute and absolutely loved them for corrugations and rough roads. They seemed to go better than these current ones.

PS, can anyone tell me how the hell I change my picture thingy? I have tried to change it to a picture of my new ute and must be missing the part of the brain that deals with computers. It says its saved but then doesn't show the new picture.

Perhaps its too big?

Shaggy

After looking at a lot of specs I went with the tough dog foam cell shocks and medium rear springs. They are the biggest shocks I could find and I like foamcell tech. Every salesmen will tell you that you need heavier torsion bars but save $$$ and don't belive them unless running a steel bar, winch and dual batteries. Winding up your factory torsion bars (I had to realign the splines too) will increas the spring rate enough at least without a winch. I have steel bar and dual battery and did not need new torsion bars. I put this in before going to Cape York and the set up worked well for me with good flex and handeled the Cape corrigations at 90KPH. The tough dog springs are also one of the highest set of springs around too and keep their height.

Cheers

Shaggy i got an old man emu kit from arb, cost about $1400 fitted from memory. you will definitely notice a different as soon as you drive away with a kit fitted, well worth the money in my opinion. and like the guys have said dont worry about the torsion bars for now. i personally would only consider upgrading them if i were unhappy with the ride after fitting a steel winch bar and winch, other than that i think the stockos go good enough for now

i er, yesterday, 50 meters from my front gate, drove my front and rear LHS mickey thompson tyres square into a concrete culvert/drain, at speed whilst in my BELOVED d22. Ripped out the driveshaft from the box shoved the rear wheel back 10 inches or so, ripped the locator bolt on the leaf springs clean off, fcked the upper and lower control arms and er all in all did surposingly little damage!! gutted? Spewing! Wife comes out on verandah 150 meters away and shouts at the top of her voice "WHAT THE FCK WAS THAT???!!!"
SO, trying to get her back in shape. Point of story-have Ironman set up front and rear. I buggered the torsion bar, and ordered two new pairs today-4
$250!!!!
BUgger me---so your all saying i can effectively use the old ones???how do they differ??
Oh yeh where is the morksop manual???
morty

sorry to hear mate, but she will be bigger and better once back on the road

morsta, if its the torsion bars your are talking about to reuse i wouldnt know. by the sounds of it you hit the gutter pretty hard, and probally with all 4 wheels locked up to tear the ass out of like you did. i would really give them a good checkover to look 4 any signs of being bent or damaged in any other way. the difference between stock and after market torsions bars is the AM ones use higher tensile steel so they dont flex as much as the stock ones and also will carry weight better.

locked up wheels??!!! nah, just ploughed straight into the conc!!!
its only the control arms that are farked....its a bloody tuff truck the d22...
much to missus chagrin spent this arvo working on it!!!

Hi Guys
Well it has come down to 3 makes for my 2" lift. Old Man Emu,EFS or Toughdog.I am just waiting for the price's to be confirmed.Most place's i have spoken to are not going to replace the original torsion bars as they will wind them up to the correct lift height.

Shane

Hey Shaggy, Cant comment on how it drives "YET" but i have ordered some 2" lifted 41mm foam cell shocks with new leaf springs for $999 from 4WD systems here in Adelaide. Spoke with the guy a few times and he was able to rattle off the size of the standard and max after market diameter torsion bars. as others have mentioned they are not recommended as an upgrade unless you are trying to squeeze everything out of them. I'll be fitting the gear myself to save the $350ish they want. but they do recommend greasable shackles for comfort.

you can check them out here, they also normally advertise in 4X4 Australia.
4WD Systems | Gear to Goannawhere

i think their shockers are their own brand, but he did mention that they were made in the same factory as one of the popular commercial brands. And they have a 3 year unlimited Km warranty. sounds pretty good to me.

Ill report back when i get them and fit them.

Hi Guys
I have got a quote for Old Man Emu which was $1350 fitted,no new torsion bar, not required as they will wind up the original nissan ones to get the correct height.This quote is cheaper than the one i got from ARB.Just waiting on the a quote from Toughdog and EFS

Shane

Hi Shaggy,
In the future I will be doing the same, I have been doing my own reserch over the last few months and out of the 3 that you are chosing from EFS would be my choice.
I've seen some negative comments on OME so would'nt go with them and tough dog are a close second.
I have so far fitted rear shocks to my D22 (2002) and went with Ridepro, they have been fantastic so far and have only had good reports about them.
I will probably fit the rest of the suspension with Ridepro also.
Definately worth getting a quote from your local supplier.

STC

Latest posts

Back