D21 Gearbox

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taz

Reaction score
Ok I have read through quite a few threads here but thought I would ask some questions for clarification.

I have a 1986 navara tub body 4x4 ute. Recently the gear box jammed in reverse, my mechanic has had a look and cant free it from reverse without removing the box. He suggest maybe replacing the box as the easiest/cheapest fix, as there is more going on in there than just a stuck shifter, its making a bit of noise in reverse only.

anyone ever payed to have one rebuilt, if so how much?

Anyways I am unsure what to do, oh and I should mention that my Nav has had the Z24 swapped out for a reco Z22 by the previous owner , I am assuming it has the same box, would the Z22 bolt straight up to the bellhousing from a Z24?

I can get a used box from the wreckers out of a 88 Z24 for $600. Its out of the bus though so I cant hear it running, and for $600 it doesnt come with a warranty. This gearbox should fit right?

There is also a bloke I know with a 89 deisel, would the box out of this fit?

Thanks for the advice. I rung the guy and told him I would take it. I pick it up in the next couple of days, and hopefully have the bus back on the road by next weekend.

picked up the box. I am pretty happy, I got it transfer case to bellhousing for $600. I wont really know what its like til its in, but it seems really good. The bus it came out of only had 225k km's on it. Should have seen it, it was clean as a whistle barley a mark on it, a real shame it was being wrecked.

Thats about the same price in NZ but on trademe recon boxes run for $1100 up to $1600NZ. Getting a good one for $600 is OK if no problems. Hope it works for you

Back