using a beer keg for a aux tank ideas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
I was thinking of using a beer keg for a aux tank (because its 55l)and
gravity to supply the mean tank. I was thinking of sitting the keg in the tub so I can remove it when I don't need it. Do I need to vent the keg?
any ideas/ suggestions on how to make it. something like this

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 231
Not a bad idea but a few things:
Highly illegal
The keg would want to be very well secured.
I'd also be concerned that if the original fuel filler is lower than the top of the tank the fuel may want to gravity drain back out the filler.
Honestly I think you are better off with jerry cans,sorry to be a party pooper.

+1 on the height of the tank. It MUST be below the filler AND the tank breather.

The only way to do it inside the tub is if you're using a transfer pump but I'm not sure on the regs relating to that - I think any fuel carried in containers in the tub must remain sealed until you are transferring the fuel to the main tank.

There's also a limit of 250L of fuel (in total) allowed to be carried in a passenger vehicle (I found this out when I was looking at how many jerry cans I can legally have). You probably won't reach that with one keg, but it's important to know there is a limit.

Not a bad idea but a few things:
Highly illegal
The keg would want to be very well secured.
I'd also be concerned that if the original fuel filler is lower than the top of the tank the fuel may want to gravity drain back out the filler.
Honestly I think you are better off with jerry cans,sorry to be a party pooper.

thanks for honesty mate

+1 on the height of the tank. It MUST be below the filler AND the tank breather.

The only way to do it inside the tub is if you're using a transfer pump but I'm not sure on the regs relating to that - I think any fuel carried in containers in the tub must remain sealed until you are transferring the fuel to the main tank.

There's also a limit of 250L of fuel (in total) allowed to be carried in a passenger vehicle (I found this out when I was looking at how many jerry cans I can legally have). You probably won't reach that with one keg, but it's important to know there is a limit.

ok where is the tank breather located in the 03 d22 zd30. I didn't think of the filter height though. what about under the tub? dose it have to remain closed? I don't think I will be carrying 250l but its good to know of the future. dose the keg it self have to be vented?

Yeah the keg would have to be vented so that it will drain. This could be done quite easily out the top of the keg similar to diff breathers. Run the breather as high as you can.

There is a big spike kind of thing running down the centre of the keg (well the one I cut open did anyway) maybe you could cut it out and put a filler in there.

i have no idea what the diff breathers look like. sorry but what would a filler do Matt? i was thinking of using the top to fill from the servo and some how empty from the bottem some how.

If you're storing it in the tub, fill from the top and pump from the top, that way it can't feed into the tank until you're ready.

If you want it to simply add capacity to your current tank, the bottom of the keg will have to sit slightly above the bottom of the current tank so that the fuel pickup is where the last of the fuel sits. A hose at the very bottom of the keg will feed fuel out to the main tank, and the filler moves from the main tank to the keg, so that you fill it first (and it fills the main tank). An additional breather is required from the main tank to the keg, and the main vent (that plumbs back to the top of the filler neck) needs to go into the top of the keg (not the main tank - you need to block that off).

Aux tanks aren't easy. Mounting it will be fun, too. You're hanging what, about 10kg of tank and 46.75kg of diesel? Call it 60Kg that you have to support over any terrain without movement and not too close to the exhaust.

Sounds like a great idea, I hope you get it to work!

i have no idea what the diff breathers look like. sorry but what would a filler do Matt? i was thinking of using the top to fill from the servo and some how empty from the bottem some how.

I was just assuming you would need to cut a hole in the top and put in some kind of filler cap so you can fill it at the servo.

How did you end up going with this idea? any luck in getting it done they way you wanted?

Latest posts

Back