No Sway bar front flex

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's impressive. Has anyone ever used disconnects for the swaybar on a Nav. I have seen them on patrols and they can be a pain to re connect sometimes. Can you feel it on road not being in there Nath.

I think the disconnect may be a little tricky to make as the length of the linkages at either side is so short its almost two ball joints touching each other where as other 4x4's link hilux's jeeps ect the linkage arm is allot longer around and above 100mm, that allows them to build two parts that slide in together and thats the part i cant see possible with the D40 version.

As for on road handling, you can notice it a little bit but nothing major at all.
In fact i think its really at certain times like very quick change of direction, and very long off camber corners, BUT as i have now done close to 30'000km with it off i dont have a problem with it not being there what so ever and will never put it back on while i own it.

Basically i think the positives well out way any negatives, as you can see off road it allows the front to work so much better.
What you can do if you only want it for off road use, is disconnect only one side which is only two bolts, then when you get back from the trip just bolt it back up.
You only really need to disconnect one side to render the sway bar useless.

Looking good Nath, did you look into the legalities of removing the sway bar by any chance or with Insurance. I would like to do this but just wondering.

Looking good Nath, did you look into the legalities of removing the sway bar by any chance or with Insurance. I would like to do this but just wondering.

No mate I didnt bother to check at all, actually i didnt even think that it may be an issue, as some cars like the Jeep Rubicon come out of the factory with disconnects i just took it for granted that it must be ok.:dontknow:

Well it is an issue. All is good until you have a crash where someone is injured. The cops will impound your vehicle and investigate it before they release it for insurance purposes. With the sway bar removed you could have some serious explaining to do- to the cops that is, before the insurance company check it out. That will be another can of worms.

Having said all that, have removed the sway bar, not for the reasons to see what she will do. Long story but the car was sitting lower on the D/S when it was connected. Eventually sorted out but what I did find was the slow speed corners especially roundabouts where the worse with the truck handling like the Tilt train. Higher speed bends didn't have so much of an effect.
On road naturally enough it felt softer but I guess the sway bar is an added form of dampening apart form the shocks. Spring rates and shock valving will have a big effect on what it is like without it.

Well it is an issue. All is good until you have a crash where someone is injured. The cops will impound your vehicle and investigate it before they release it for insurance purposes. With the sway bar removed you could have some serious explaining to do- to the cops that is, before the insurance company check it out. That will be another can of worms.

Having said all that, have removed the sway bar, not for the reasons to see what she will do. Long story but the car was sitting lower on the D/S when it was connected. Eventually sorted out but what I did find was the slow speed corners especially roundabouts where the worse with the truck handling like the Tilt train. Higher speed bends didn't have so much of an effect.
On road naturally enough it felt softer but I guess the sway bar is an added form of dampening apart form the shocks. Spring rates and shock valving will have a big effect on what it is like without it.

In all honesty i dont think there is a law that says you HAVE to run a sway bar, BUT having said that i dont make the laws and will have to check out the legalities next week.
I do know that all of the after market Lower control arms dont even have the mounts so if you were to buy those you would have no way to use a sway bar even if you wanted to.

I'd be worried if Insurance decided to void your policy (after a claim) because of an illegal modification. Might be well worth looking into.

I haven't ran sway bars in mine for the last 7 years they are overated oversized crowbars and make the car fill like a mack truck until you pull them out.

I think even disconnects are illegal. That's rite we live in Australia, everything is illegal. They say we are a free country.

I think even disconnects are illegal. That's rite we live in Australia, everything is illegal. They say we are a free country.

If that is true, I wonder how Jeep get away with selling the rubicon with them as a standard item on that model?
they are controlled from the cab, obviously not the reconnection process

Yeah Ti patrols have a Incab release for the rear swaybar. I think if its standard equipment than its legal and ADR approved. That's what makes the engineering process a joke. You can't fit after market products to a car but if they choose to put them on at the factory it's fine. If you were to get a standard jeep and fit all the rubicon stuff to it you would need an engineers report done on it. You are even really suppose to get aftermarket mag wheels engineered. They did a story on car yards fitting bling wheels to brand new cars like the Ford Territory and commodores and said by law they are really illegal due to not being fitted as standard. I have a mate that is heavily involved in the engineering process and the stuff he said they could police but don't is crazy. Basically he said, his words. If its not on the car from the factory than its illegal rite down to seat covers. I think if its done rite and the car is safe than it should be passed as legal. I can understand that they don't want a 20' lifted Hilux with steering arms welded up by their dads stick welder in the shed with 38' Tyres and no brakes on the road. But it's simple don't pass them and get them off the road. But to the guys that do it rite they should be passed and not have to jump through hoops to get there. SORRY should go to the have a rant section. I got carried away a bit. Just hate the nanny s#!t.

Last edited:
well according to the RMS (roads & maritime service NSW) looks like you can remove the sway bar without making the car UNroadworthy, so it is still legal with out it.

However the guy i just spoke to from the RMS tech department said that if the insurance company wants to reject the claim they may be able to if Nissan say that the car will be unsafe with out it, BUT it will not be rejected for registration and they have no law that states the car must have sway bars.

So i am happy with that and will be leaving the big useless piece of junk in the roof of the shed un till i sell the car.

Bloody Insurance companies I hate them, money sucking scum.Well least its not un roadworthy, I'll have to check here in Vic.

Ok I decided to check with NRMA, I explained to them what i have done and also what the RMS (RTA) said, There response was as long as the car meets the registration requirements in my state and is deemed to be roadworthy they have NO PROBLEM with it and will cover me in with any claim.
So happy days.

Of course they'd say that.

I'd be chasing it up with RTA or an inspection station or somewhere. I know up here in qld vehicles were getting defected for not having their sway bars in.

I'm 99% sure its not legal on road.

Edit, sorry i just read your earlier post. I honestly can't see how they'd be okay with it. Must be different rules down there.

Back