long range tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshd40

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im considering buying a long range fuel tank on my d40 st 2013
Does anyone know if it can bend the chassis?

If the tank you're thinking of putting on your Navara is manufactured by Abrams (actually, Chrysler), then yes your chassis will bend. If it's just a fuel tank, no way - but do remember that diesel weighs almost as much as water (it's 85%) and you need to reduce your load by the extra amount of diesel (plus tank weight) to remain below your GVM.

I have an LRA long range tank on my 2012 ST and have done 55,000... not a drama at all. The only one slight downer I have is that they do hang moderately low and if you are doing serious offroading then it quite possibly could get damaged.
For the basic beach work and sand tracks etc that I do it is fine.
All in all... long range tanks are briiliant in my opinion
Cheers

I'd be VERY concerned about the strength of the chassis if a LRT could bend it. If it bolts to the same mounts, you're talking an extra 20-30kg extra per mount (assuming there's 4 mounts, I've never looked) if the chassis couldn't handle that, it wouldn't handle going over a speed bump so you'll be fine

I'd be VERY concerned about the strength of the chassis if a LRT could bend it. If it bolts to the same mounts, you're talking an extra 20-30kg extra per mount (assuming there's 4 mounts, I've never looked) if the chassis couldn't handle that, it wouldn't handle going over a speed bump so you'll be fine

Tony was joking, Abrams is a military style TANK with guns and shit, he wasnt saying a fuel tank would bend the chassis! :rofl2:

Sorry, not obvious enough. I should have done it like this:

If you mean one of these tanks pictured below, then yes your chassis will bend:
Abrams_Tank.jpg

otherwise if you mean a fuel tank like the one below, no worries, go for it!

TA61_Auxiliary_Fuel_Tank_1.jpg

I hated installing my LRT. Cursing swearing, not a driveway job as it turns out...never the less, NO ONE works on my ute but me, so I made it happen.

5 years later, no probs at all. The load is well spread across the chassis.

Feel like a real d!ck head now. I was thinking, I didn't know Chrysler made LRT's where do you get one of those. Doh, 747 straight over my head. :)

I've currently got a 2012 ST. Its the updated one with the flasher interior as opposed to my previous 2010. The 2010 had the normal 1 large aftermarket steel tank with no issues.

This one doesn't have the one giant tank like the earlier cars. It's got a aux steel tank that's plumbed into the stock tank, which effectively makes the stock tank hold more rather than replacement of the whole tank.

I think they must of done it like this so it doesn't mess with the distance to empty and fuel economy display the newer cars have?

As above. The ECU will believe that it has an 80L tank. If you get an app like Torque, it will have the fuel tank size in its configuration so that it too can provide that information.

Knowing the fuel pressure, engine RPM, throttle position and engine load, the ECU knows fairly closely how much fuel is actually being injected, so it knows how much it's consuming at any given time. It works out that at the average consumption rate, you ought to have so many km to go.

It doesn't read the fuel tank capacity directly - they wired the fuel sender to the gauge, rather than reading it into the ECU and then providing that as a source for the gauge. This means they can't tell exactly how much fuel is remaining. Worse, if the tank is on an angle, the float won't be sitting at the right level and will mislead the ECU (and therefore you).

Latest posts

Back