Custom canvas canopy ideas.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy_STR

Reaction score
G'day,

im keen to start fab on a custom canvas canopy. my brother and i will be building it as he is pretty damn good on the welder and i have the car. makes sense.. lol
Anyway, im wondering if anyone on here has done one before to fit a older model D22, the one with the smaller tub. My truck is an 03 STR and was hoping someone might have some measurements from a previous build, only to make the job that little bit easier. Also, im thinking of using heavy duty rip stop canvas, like you get on a swag, to cover it. what do people think about this and has anyone got an idea on price. obviously i am just starting out and will be doing some shopping around and getting quotes, just wondering what people thought was best and what others have found works well/not so well..

Cheers guys,

Sammy

rip stop canvas will shrink and eventually the zipps wont do up or bust, all canvas shrinks due to having a high cotton content. Thats why most people use vinyls these days, If you allow for the shrinkage you will get away with canvas for a certain amount of time but eventually it will shrink to much.
price probably $550-$700 thats where id be if I was still doing it.
As for ideas do a search for qqc d22 and there is some info in there no welder needed :D
also i think a user called fatboy or fatboy 85 made i pretty decent one you could search his user name also

Is canvas really that bad with shrinkage?

I'd imagine you could get away with the zips by using eyelets and just latching them together with some decent rope. Takes away a bit of the functionality, but if it helps with shrinkage.

Not a huge fan of the glossy look of the vinyl personally, was thinking a grey canvas would tie me over.

I had canvas for years never shrunk or had an issue and it was cooler than vinyl i am going to copy 04 silver strs idea i need to remove it to fit the bikes otherwise it would be a arb or likewise setup given the bad luck i have had with thieves of late i am worried some s/head will slash it.

i just started today building the frame for my canopy ill post some pics soon mate just gotta have some dinner haha

I had canvas for years never shrunk or had an issue and it was cooler than vinyl i am going to copy 04 silver strs idea i need to remove it to fit the bikes otherwise it would be a arb or likewise setup given the bad luck i have had with thieves of late i am worried some s/head will slash it.

Boxers

Go PVC truck tarp stuff for the cover mate, the bloke who made mine for me only makes them out of that now as he has had too many complaints about canvas, plus i got a 2 year warranty on it and it comes in pretty much any colour you want.

Back