D21 vs D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psshhhht

Reaction score
Hey All,

Been looking at the prices of older Navaras and I'm finding that the older model D22s don't seem to be that much more expensive than a decent D21.

I much prefer the modern looks of the D22, but i was wondering what the differences are besides panels, and if they're worth the extra expense.

I'm after a 4x4 dual cab for some off-roading and camping/weekend fun. I don't really care too much if it's petrol or diesel, and if it's not turbo, i'll eventually be putting one on.

I don't want to go nuts with mods, maybe a couple of inches lift, some 31-33s and the previously mentioned turbo. Just something to have a lot of fun with, relatively cheaply.

What are your recommendations, D21 or D22 and why? And within each, what model would best suit my needs?

As you can no doubt tell, I'm a noob to Navaras.

Cheers,
Jer

Oh I forgot to give a price range... can't be more than $15K. Obviously the higher the initial price the less funds there'll be for mods.

I would go along with a d21 for a knock about weekender. Get them cheaper allowing more coins to modify it to suit your needs.
If it has a few dents and scrapes it doesn't really matter because from the description you have given here and in your introduction it will get some. Means you don't have to be too precious about it from the beginning.
Haven't answered your initial question though - someone will be along shortly and point out whats what.
Have a look at Deadly's D21 and a few other D21 builds here on the forum while your waiting.

I dont know too much about the D21 but...

considering your $15k budget and wanting to do some spending, I'd start looking at something like a D22 DX 3.0L turbo diesel. can get them pretty cheap, about $10k check out the link below.

remember that because the D22 has been around for so long and has been so popular there is an endless amount of aftermarket parts available.

2002 NISSAN NAVARA DX D22 MY2002 Cars For Sale in NSW - CarPoint Australia

as will said, i would be leaning towards the d22, a few more options as far as mods go and personally i would be going the turbo diesel. cos if ur going to be doing a bit of weekend touring you dont want to be constantly filling up with petrol as they love a drink when the going gets tuff. someone correct me if im wrong but i dont think the d21 comes out with a factory turbo. as you said you would be putting one on anyway, why not get a ute thats already got one as you would be saving urself a shit load. also i have heard that putting a turbo on a motor that has not had one it can really shorten the life of the engine as its not been run in from the start with one. anyway thats my 2 bobs, a bit of food for thought i guess

thanks for the suggestions guys. :)
The economy is less important to me as it only gonna be a weekender and on holidays, but we'll see what comes up at the right price. do the D22s have KA24DE in their 2.4L petrols? I know they can handle a low psi boost.

Actually I hope when I'm in the market, something like 1998 NISSAN NAVARA DX D22 Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au is available... hehe

aftermarket wise its all mostly the same mods. Id be basing it on the motor and how you like the spacing etc in the cabin.

Being a D21 owner it pains me to say but the a d22 under 15k sounds the way to go, you have more access to after market products, and more modern interior.
If I were you I would be on the look out for a diesel with as many extra goodies as you can find, the more mods done the less you have to do and pay for.

Latest posts

Back