vx9 v6 powerchips

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuned v6 diesel

Getting the STX V6 DIESEL TUNED BY POWERCHIP ON THURSDAY 19/12/2013.

THIS IS BEING DONE AT PAC PERFORMANCE IN SYDNEY ON THEIR DYNO.

IT WILL BE TUNED VIA OBD2 PORT (ECU REFLASH)

Last edited:
All went well
standard power run 137.6 rwkw

final power run 160.1 rwkw

23 rwkw gain
112 nm rw torque gain

egr is turned off and blocked( in ecu)

it did go higher but i wanted it pulled back a tad as this is my work truck

its now a totally different truck
very responsive
very little pedal effort required
very easy to take off from the lights in a big hurry
turns the rear wheels very easily

now my main point was to tune out the low down sluggish problems with these v6's, more low down response and mid to top end power increase.

This is a diesel not a petrol turbo falcon.

Im not here to promote powerchip in anyway

i used chipit in my last d40(poor customer service)

if i'm not happy, then i would tell you all

but in this case money well spent

please remember ive only added my experience

different cars do different things on different dynos

we've all had arguments before about this

as long as i got a power increase and made it drive the way it should ,then i'm more than happy.

so what has that made the figures not at the rear wheel?

is it anywhere near the 715nm stated on the website?

has it done anything regarding the annoying gearchanges or are the shifts exactly the same at the same speeds & rpm? i wonder if the gearbox is anything they could address & maybe remap? if so i reckon they would be really busy! haha

finally for now would you be able to let me know what has happened regarding fuel usage, oh & do you mind me asking how much it ended up costing you.

many thanks

You still have that annoying gear change but not noticeable like before.

The reason I say this is because, very little pedal effort is required to make it go.

Not an issue now because it make more power down low.

When you do get that down change going up an incline,it responds very quickly now with little pedal effort.

As far as I'm aware you have to get the transmission software reflashed to fix the shift patterns.

I also find if you require a sportier drive then leave it in sports mode.You get longer gear changes and earlier down changes.

I've done a little over 400kms since the tune and my fuel economy has gone from 10.8 to 10.2.

10.8 has been my economy since I bought it in October this year.

I can see more economy improvement with more driving.

This is mainly city and the occasional freeway.

This is a new truck with only 5600kms.

I can now leave the lights/or turn out of that intersection in a hurry without worrying about the sluggish take off.

Wet roads are now an issue.
To much pedal and she gets loose very easy.

thank you for the information, do you know of anybody or maybe powerchip may know of somebody if you are now friendly with them who may be able to remap the transmission?

do you mind me asking how much the remap ended up costing?

Regards, Adam.

Someone outside the forum asked me why this time I reflashed my ecu and not use CHIPIT again.

Now what I'm going to say, is going to upset some but others will agree.

My last D40 was a 2.5.
Early 2010 manual.
Purchased chipit module not long after purchasing truck.

Now at this stage not much testing had been done on navaras,let alone other brands.
Module went in ok and did get a improvement in performance.
This of course was on a low setting.
Once you started to bump up settings the fuel rail limiter would open causing a limp mode with no ECL.

Contacted chipit and was subsequently sent out a blanking disk to block the fuel rail limiter.
Did work but had ongoing leaking diesel from fuel limiter area due to high pressures.
Was advised to tighten up as much as possible.
Did this 4 separate times and I thought I was going to shit myself or get a hernia or brake the fuel rail.

Now after these little issues were sorted I installed a 3 inch exhaust,catch can and intake mod.

Bumped up the tune and started enjoying the truck.

6 months later chipit module shits itself and with many phone calls was replaced under warranty.

After all this no issues.

Drove it for the next 70000 odd kms

sold it and bought a v6 vx9

So this time I decided to go the ecu tune as this is only the real way to tune any type of vehicle.

A dyno was organized and Wayne from POWERCHIP was there to do the ecu programming.

Now with the chipit system you are basically cheating the values the ecu is reading from the MAP sensor and fuel rail sensor.
And thats all that is done.
Very simple but very wrong and dangerous.

With ecu tuning/reflashing,you are modifying the appropriate tables to give you an increase.

Pedal ratio,
smoke table
torque limiters
injector timing
boost level
drivers wish

The smoke table is the important one.
The ecu has a preset table which only allows a certain amount of fuel to be injected at any time dependent on has much air is in combustion chamber.

This can be cheated by the EXTERNAL MODULE way but is not he answer.
Fuel rail sees low value so it bumps up fuel rail pressure and in turn injects more fuel.
Ecu doesnt like this as less O2 is coming out of the exhaust.
This is why alot of people have varying experiences with these types of modules.

Now as far as I'm aware, there is no reliable add on external module which works 100% for the v6 vx9.

My ecu tune was $1690.00 + dyno
We gained a reliable 23 rwkw
This equates to around 200fwkw
Truck drives completely different and power delivery is ridiculous now.
Now that pedal ratio and drivers wish were modified in ecu you don't need much pedal to get her going.
AFRS are all safe.

Could of gone more rwkw"s with more dyno time but like I said before, go and buy a VF or FG ute to chase the big power.

Egr no longer issue.
Blocked off and turned off.

Lazy take offs all but gone now.
Down change going up incline all but gone.

Fuel economy getting better the more I drive and mind you I don't drive my cars like an old lady.(currently sitting on 10.2 city city driving)

I now drive truck with no stuffing around and fixing issues would should've be sorted before product is sold.

So why would I pay the same if not more for a DP CHIP,CHIPIT,TUNEIT and so on.

This is what I basically said to the bloke who asked me the original.
question.

This is my experience and others might vary.

This is what I'm happy with and I now enjoy driving my truck more than ever.

Last edited:
I too would like to see some scanned dyno sheets of a before and after and also if anything was done re the mapping for shift points.

OK

I too would like to see some scanned dyno sheets of a before and after and also if anything was done re the mapping for shift points.

Are yes !

There is the reason I haven't put dyno charts on here.

First and foremost, I not interested in getting involved in dyno discussions.

What are we all after from the v9x?

Better drivability and some more power.

Better fuel economy.

This is what I have now.

I could of boosted the tits off it and added heaps of fuel and brag that my truck has heaps of rwkw.

But reliability is the key.

wow there some great results
ime not a fan of piggyback chips myself
still waiting for someone to crack the yd25 d22

Are yes !

There is the reason I haven't put dyno charts on here.

First and foremost, I not interested in getting involved in dyno discussions.

What are we all after from the v9x?

Better drivability and some more power.

Better fuel economy.

This is what I have now.

I could of boosted the tits off it and added heaps of fuel and brag that my truck has heaps of rwkw.

But reliability is the key.

I just wanted to see where the gains are.....I too am not interested in a dyno queen as I have enough cars for that. BUT to be able to quantify the gain versus the cost is what I seek.

cheers

I just wanted to see where the gains are.....I too am not interested in a dyno queen as I have enough cars for that. BUT to be able to quantify the gain versus the cost is what I seek.

cheers

Exactly why I am asking.

I too have other cars that spend time on dynos, and I'm not interested in "the figures" so much, but what I'm seeking is confirmed improvements, where gains were made......

Latest posts

Back