Newnes/Garden of Stones

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMofo

Reaction score
Was thinking of heading out that way sometime soon for a day trip,:truck: was wondering if you guys can make suggestions as to where to head in that area, iv noticed a few of you have been up there a couple of times.
I`v promised the young bloke a camping trip too so any camping information for that area would also help, my issue is that i like to camp and then go fishing and exploring with the ute, i`m just a little weary on leaving my camp unattended, what do you guys do to secure your camp site??
any information would be appreciated.

PS yes i know ill be waiting till after the fires have gone. probably not a good idea right now.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
Steve have you done the "Power lines" track that runs from the lost city up along side the glow worm road?
also if you camp at Newnes your gear should be fine, not sure if you have been there but you can set up across from the old pub and owners house if you are really worried, i usually cross the river and camp over there myself.
The good thing is from newnes you can get to a heap of good tracks for day trips, Blackfellows hand trail, powerlines track, pipeline (runs into powerlines and is a gnarly short hill climb) and heaps more, if you grab a topo map you will see the place is strewn with trails.
The other good spot is on the Turon river great campsites, Trout fishing, good trails and you can drive out through sunny corner , capertee ect

Thanks Nath,

i`ll look into the powerlines track, i`v read about it a few times here and it sounds good, iv never been up and around there before but intend to the first chance i get, ill have to look into a few maps i think.
Whats the name of the pub do you know?? and whats it like?? good food?? i just like to be able to leave my stuff for the day and know it will still be there when i get back in the afternoon.
Sounds like a good spot for a bit of trout fishing im sure there will be a few little holes around i can find.
looks like ill be taking the misses and young fella up for the next available weekend for a test run and bit of an explore, then just the boys another weekend when i know the area a bit better.
Cheers nath

the "PUB" is just the original pub of the newnes coking sight, but now days its like a mini museum and shop where you can pay for hot showers ect, the people are really nice and live just behind the old pub/shop (im sure its a heritage building)
we have left our gear there and have never had a problem, most people down there tend to be other families and like minded people.

if you do have a run along the powerlines track its really worth while taking the family to the Glow worm tunnel, its an old rail tunnel which is now famous for its glow worms, if you go in and turn off all the torches and be super quite the walls light up, its pretty cool, my kids thought it was awesome and the walk down to the tunnel is pretty nice too.
If you get the "boiling Billy" published book "4wd treks close to sydney" by Craig Lewis & Cathy Savage, you will find the "Turon capertee trek and the Newnes / Glow worm Trek in it and it has very good directions and suggestions for the area topo map you need, BUT it wont have the power lines trail marked, its no problem though because you will find it on the topo map as you are following parallel to the glow worm rd and directly (as the name suggests) under the power lines, easy to find.

Just did this on the weeked, Consider Baal Bone Gap aswell, we did Baal bone gap, camped next to the turon river then did black Fellows hand trail, glow worm, the lost city and then powerlines before heading home! rate it!

You guys are lucky, I miss this area the most, there are so many good tracks around there and great for day trips, growing up just down the hill I know most of it like the back of my hand mostly from scooting around on two wheels the single track is awesome in that area. Word of warning though I'd be hesitant leaving gear unattended I've lost count of the gear gone missing up there, even had a trailer disappear, this was around the forestry so further out might be better.
nathand22 I know the exact hill climb your speaking of, it's legendary to locals (coming the other way flat chat on a bike then all of a sudden...great fun lol).
Depending on where you get on it make sure you are literarily under the power lines, as there's the main road, an un noteworthy track then the power lines track, seen more than a few jacked up fourbys trundling along unimpressed, point them in the right direction and they don't leave.
Also of note are some of the tracks around the old prison farm, great for the kids around there too with dams to swim/yabbie depends how game the kids are and plenty of open space on the old cricket field if they are on a bike or quad.
I'm going to have to make some time to get back down that way soon.

Got to admit its a great area with plety to see and hills to climb. I`ll be a regular visitor

Back